Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dev question ?
What exactly is the game written in, I'm not asking for a source code etc, I'd actually like to help debug and fix some things myself if I find them or have the time too... no need to actually divulge this information would be nice for me at least.
Short answer: C++, SQL, XML

Long answer:
The core game is written in C++, data is stored in SQLite databases. Premade data such as script and information is stored in XML files which can be edited by the user. Once read by the game the xml info is mostly stored in the database and manipulated by C++. The GUI works off QuickGUI sheet files and its actions are performed in C++.

The only other language we have is gnuplot scripts which are generated using C++ then executed via command line.

Here is a list of library's which we are using (you can also find these in the about):
Ogre3d
SQLite
Kompex SQLite Wrapper
QuickGUI
rapidXML
OIS
OpenAL
Gnuplot
Boost Threads

As far as debugging is concerned, looking for odd behaviors and stats in the db's (save game files) is very helpful to me. I use www.sqlitestudio.pl to view the save games. Also uploading save games so I can look over them helps as well. I do mass stress tests with the AI, but I rarely get to play the game from beginning to end.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
(11-09-2013, 10:54 AM)Eric.B Wrote: Short answer: C++, SQL, XML

Long answer:
The core game is written in C++, data is stored in SQLite databases. Premade data such as script and information is stored in XML files which can be edited by the user. Once read by the game the xml info is mostly stored in the database and manipulated by C++. The GUI works off QuickGUI sheet files and its actions are performed in C++.

The only other language we have is gnuplot scripts which are generated using C++ then executed via command line.

Here is a list of library's which we are using (you can also find these in the about):
Ogre3d
SQLite
Kompex SQLite Wrapper
QuickGUI
rapidXML
OIS
OpenAL
Gnuplot
Boost Threads

As far as debugging is concerned, looking for odd behaviors and stats in the db's (save game files) is very helpful to me. I use www.sqlitestudio.pl to view the save games. Also uploading save games so I can look over them helps as well. I do mass stress tests with the AI, but I rarely get to play the game from beginning to end.

I had assumed such when I was decompiling etc I was missing certain libraries! I just love this game so much I think that it should move up the pole, and I'm pretty sure extra help would be nice. I play the game a lot.. when I say a lot that is a understatement nearly a full time job, and multiple crashes I just deal with until I get to tired to restart into it lol. The best fun about this entire game is its diversity and such, it was actually a smart move to use SQL databases, since you can pretty much load em up and change them rather easily, so when you want to add in a new part, you just update the database, enter the required information, and bam it is there..
Lib source codes as you requested.

Attached Files
.rar   QuickGUI.rar (Size: 317.42 KB / Downloads: 405)
.rar   OgreMain.rar (Size: 2.03 MB / Downloads: 385)
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski