Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gearboxes and electric engine
I just wonder why electric engines need gearboxes, since they don't need it in a real car? Also what is the point of having a gearbox in an electric engine with many gears....
Actually electric powered cars require the gearbox as well, since electric engines are also limited in RPM, plus unlike the gas powered engines, electric engine looses torque starting at 0 RPM. In the end it all depends on what top speed you want, and what your specific electric engine can do. Some use a single speed GB, some use 2-3 speed.
i have a lot of tweaking to do in this area... You might notice that the AI makes Electric 12 cylinder motors Wink
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
So the gearbox is relevant? After all, I've just thrown a basic forward-reverse gb thinking it didn't matter... :/

But okay, good to know... However I do also wonder what happens to the electric engine later in the game? As I've understood the game doesn't allow any kind of non-historic technological advances (no fancy ABS until it's invented... <-- somebody who can't think of a better example than ABS), so since the electric engine (according to my rookie knowledge) remains rather undeveloped during the 20th century, will the same be true in the game?

After all, I figure that if I run a company only producing electric cars, then the abilities/capacity of these electric systems which I'm using should develop, since the reason the gas engine was advanced further is greatly because companies prioritise and focused on it, point being that if I prioritise the electric alternative, then it would also have developed much more than the gas version. So instead of fuel injection instead of carburetors we get something related to an electric engine.

The questions kinda nudge the "what power do I have on the technological advances"-question.
(11-08-2013, 07:58 PM)ChaapaNA Wrote: So the gearbox is relevant? After all, I've just thrown a basic forward-reverse gb thinking it didn't matter... :/

But okay, good to know... However I do also wonder what happens to the electric engine later in the game? As I've understood the game doesn't allow any kind of non-historic technological advances (no fancy ABS until it's invented... <-- somebody who can't think of a better example than ABS), so since the electric engine (according to my rookie knowledge) remains rather undeveloped during the 20th century, will the same be true in the game?

After all, I figure that if I run a company only producing electric cars, then the abilities/capacity of these electric systems which I'm using should develop, since the reason the gas engine was advanced further is greatly because companies prioritise and focused on it, point being that if I prioritise the electric alternative, then it would also have developed much more than the gas version. So instead of fuel injection instead of carburetors we get something related to an electric engine.

The questions kinda nudge the "what power do I have on the technological advances"-question.

Well just generalized ideaology here, a electric engine requires a gearbox even now unless hooked to a CVT... which prolly will be added later, but even now gearing for electric engines is exotic due to the massive torque they produce when first spun up.

As for you producing only electric cars you have to consider or at least play along with the fact that 200 AI are going to be using mostly gas.. hehe, but yeah I see where you are coming from as if you sold over 1.5million of them per turn they should in theory, and practice evolve faster because everyone else in the industry would want in on the lucrative business you created.
(11-09-2013, 01:41 AM)Endders Wrote: a electric engine requires a gearbox even now unless hooked to a CVT...

And considering, that CVT IS a gearbox.... Smile
(11-09-2013, 08:53 AM)MrX_ua Wrote:
(11-09-2013, 01:41 AM)Endders Wrote: a electric engine requires a gearbox even now unless hooked to a CVT...

And considering, that CVT IS a gearbox.... Smile

Haha, funny.. I consider them Continuously Variable Transmissions as standalone, the guts are NOTHING like a gear box if not alien like ( aside a FEW gears not to many though.., I hate working on them due to the manufactures, not naming one NISSAN decides that since they never " break " we are going to put them in hard to reach areas Sad