Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Updated Screenshots for GearCity
Updated Screenshots for GearCity

Discuss! Wink
Is that just lightning, or are models shown extremely ugly?
(10-11-2012, 04:08 PM)Kubby Wrote: Is that just lightning, or are models shown extremely ugly?

No paint, no shaders, low quality shadows, AA is turned off, and their 1900 models. (Cars were pretty ugly then)

If I turn AA on it looks smoother, but my video card is pretty crappy. Whenever I get around to making the paint shaders it should look a bit more pretty.
No, I don't mean cars, I mean models, which seem to be too low-poly.

I suppose it's related to the lack of quality control and bunch of people making their models hastily, because they don't see it viable to produce anything good.
(10-11-2012, 11:56 PM)Kubby Wrote: No, I don't mean cars, I mean models, which seem to be too low-poly.

You mean the background models in the car builder? They're in the background, we don't want them sucking up too much resources because the actual car models take up a good deal of processing. (Specially for shadows since i'm not using shaders for that.) We're trying to keep the system requirements minimal since a large market for this game is in the primary education community which typical have computers with really really bad video cards.

If you're talking about the world maps, that's because I made them. I'm a pretty bad artist eh? Anyhoo they look low poly because it's just a plane with spheres on it Smile

(10-11-2012, 11:56 PM)Kubby Wrote: I suppose it's related to the lack of quality control and bunch of people making their models hastily, because they don't see it viable to produce anything good.

Sadly there is a gap between the quality of some of our art. It's the effect of running on a shoe string budget. However for an indie project in a niche market I'm quite impressed with the overall quality of the game. Remember 99% of indie games are vaporware and we're only a few months from being finished.
Oh, just a little digression. http://www.gearcity.info/shots/4.jpg this screenshot is supposed to be 1900's car designing room, right? If so, why is a PC there?
(10-12-2012, 11:17 AM)Kubby Wrote: Oh, just a little digression. http://www.gearcity.info/shots/4.jpg this screenshot is supposed to be 1900's car designing room, right? If so, why is a PC there?

I haven't coded the hide models part of the RnDState yet. The lifts and computer will be hidden before they are invented. The posters and desk change with time as well.

Also depending on how well the company is doing the room will look cleaner.