Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[FIXED]Game crashes at start
I'm just downloaded 1.07 and installed but it won't run and says:

OGRE EXCEPTION(6:FileNotFoundException): Cannot open file: VideoConfig.xml in FileSystemArchive:ohpen at ..\..\ogre\OgreMain\src\OgreFileSystem.cpp (line 251)

OS is Windows XP Pro SP3 Russian.
Can you check to see if VideoConfig.xml is in the folder C:\Documents And Settings\All Users\Shared Documents\VENT\Gear City\Video Settings\

Or whatever the Russian equivalent of shared documents is.

Thanks.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
It's Russian version of Windows, so shared documents located at path with russian characters in the middle: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Документы\VENT

VideoConfig.xml is present in this folder. I suspect that problem is in this damn russian characters in the path.

Oops, I mean: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Документы\VENT\GearCity\Settings
Yup, that's what it is. I had moved it to there because of people with non-latin characters in their usernames. I had been told that Документы was in latin characters in the Russian builds, apparently not! Smile

Could you do me a favor and give me the path for all users/application data ?

On latin based systems it would be: C:\Documents And Settings\All Users\Application Data or something as such.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
Hmm.. It's still ' C:\Documents And Settings\All Users\Application Data ' even in Russian Windows.

Is exist some trick in my situation to run the game now? I never played GearCity yet but very want to try Smile
You could try this although It could break something:

Make a directory named "Shared Documents" in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\
copy the VENT folder into the Shared Documents folder... It should work after that...

I'll try getting 1.08 to work in Application Data... 1.08 should be out in about 3 or 4 days worst case.
When 1.08 comes out, please let me know if it works or not. Serious bug that I have really no way to test on my system Sad
Tried to create "Shared Documents" and copied the VENT folder as you suggested, and here is same error. But when I deleted original VENT folder in "Документы", then got different error message. Now it say:

OGRE EXCEPTION(6:FileNotFoundException): Cannot locate resource VideoConfic.xml in resource group General or any other group. in ResourceGroupManager:ohpenResource at ..\..\ogre\OgreMain\src\OgreResourceGroupManager.cpp (line 753)

Well, thank you very much anyway. I'll wait for 1.08. Smile
P.S. Now I get rid of this nasty bug (and russian characters in the path too) by editing registry record HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ User Shell Folders
Ha! That's one way to do it!

Still 1.08 should be a lot better. Lots of bug fixes and new features. Smile
1.08 should work now for all version of windows, but requires administrator rights.

1.09 will probably have two versions. Normal and International

International will keep the save folder in the same location as it is now in 1.08 and will require administrator rights to use it.

Normal will move back to 1.07 location. And will not require administrator rights.

Both version will be included in the same game. Smile