Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[FIXED]Individual Factory Line Retooling
I am not sure if I am using my factories wrong or if they are supposed to work this way. I am selling 4 models currently and I am having trouble building the right amount of cars to meet the demands without over producing.

Right now I have a factory with 18 lines in New York, a factory in Paris with 13 lines, and one in London with 5 lines. I sell 4 models world wide (with and electric car on the way Wink ) I try to manufacturer the right amount for each country to avoid shipping cars across seas. however, this is nearly impossible.

When I need to change the retooling of a factory, I have to delete all factory lines and add only the lines I want to retool. Then I retool those lines and add the right amount of regular lines. Doing this every month is getting kinda tedious. One of my factories produces about 100 cars per line, but when I retool that line then produces over 2000 cars. This makes it a long process of guess and check work. Then if/when you do get it right demands change slightly, or you want to come out with a new car causing you to hesitate slightly because of how many months it will take to rework the factories.

Finally to my suggestion:

What if you were able to individually retool lines in your factory. This would erase having to remove and re add lines to your factories. If this is not possible, maybe there could be a spot in the factory screen that says how much each line will create before going on to the next month. This way it does not take months to a year to get your production right.

Again I may be using these factories wrong.
I'd just go by sales, meaning that as soon as you see you are overproducing - let the stock build a little, and then cancel one or two lines. Think of it as in real world. You invest in a production line, not knowing if you will be able to sell all the cars. If you do - you invest in one more, if you dont, you stop the production on the one you have till you have sold your inventory. Retooling really is upgrading the line with the "current" technology etc etc. It also means, that if you design a car that requires a lot of production time, you will make (for example) 100 instead of just 2 a month.. May be you need to up the tech level of your cars?
I got it, I will try to use my factories with that idea in mind. I apologize for suggesting fixes to problems that do not exists. Tongue I would also like to add a scenario and ask what you should do to make sure i understand this method correctly.

I sell over a thousand micro cars in Europe but only about 100 pickup trucks. They both come from the same factory so when the demand for micro cars fluctuate by a few hundred. what should I do?

What I would and have been doing is constantly changing production lines for the micro car ( wither it was "retooled" or not) This requires me to remove and add again the pick up truck. (this is much harder to do when I am balancing 4 models)

If I understand you correctly I should let it over produce a bit before "un-tooling" the micro cars. Or even produce over a thousand of micro cars and pickup trucks, then just stop producing pickup trucks.

Or would it be wise to just build a factory for every model you sell, in every continent you are selling said model in? (assuming you could afford it)

And would it still be possible to show how many cars a line will make, even if it is a rough estimate? Or would these features mess up the way the game is supposed to be played? Sorry again for the beginner questions. Smile
The entire production line system is getting rewritten in about 3 weeks or so.
The new system should be easier for the user and the AI, as well give you the user more control over the lines and production amounts.

Sadly my job is sucking away most of my free time right now, so progress has been going slow.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
(06-26-2013, 08:35 PM)Eric.B Wrote: Sadly my job is sucking away most of my free time right now, so progress has been going slow.

No problem, keep up the good work!