Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lost WW1
So i just played my longest game yet. I lasted until mid 1916.

I started in Paris and had 2 factories going around 1910.

Everything was going great, I was selling hundreds of cars. A micro car i built in 1900 was selling for 900, moving about 300-500 units. Later i dropped the price to 700 and sold around 600-700 a month. I was selling several vehicle types; micro car, sedan, touring, a better sedan. then i began selling a pick up truck and full sized van knowing a war was coming and hoping to cash in and sell them for the war. First month selling these was a huge success.

I then proceeded to open a new, third, factory in France that would cost me 400,000. and had 4 mil in the bank and 5 mil in cash. saving the cash because I thought i might need it for WW1. I began research on a second micro car to replace the extremely outdated old, micro car that would still cost me the same price to build. things were looking really good and money was soon going to be pouring in.

Then WW1 hit, which closed virtually all my markets. I only had a few in U.S. My factories also stopped producing vehicles with little reserves. needless to say I panicked oh. I quickly opened up roughly 20 branches around the world and began building a new factory in Spain. Huge mistake. One important rule of business I ignored... location location location. Why would you open 20 new branches outside of Europe and build your new main factory in Europe... I realized phaetons were selling big so i built one that cost me 100 to build and sold for 250, then 350 when i saw i was going to bankrupt. I was selling about 3000 phaetons, and all my other models to almost only the United states, some going to Asia. And my factory was in Spain... Because of my poor decision to build my factory in Europe instead of U.S, I was spending roughly 1.3 mil in materials, bringing in 2.5 mil in revenue, But was also spending about 1.5 mil in transportation (which i did not find out until after i exhausted all cash, savings, loans, and Ipo). Totaling my expenses at 3.6 mil.

In the end I made:
3 chassis
6 engines
3 gearboxes
11 vehicles

Moral of the story, choose your location wisely. I had lots of fun though. Playing into WW1 made me realize it must have been completely crazy when it began, for car makers and all of society. A lot of things changed when that war started. I also cannot wait until we are able to make trims or edit old engines and chassis instead of having to start designs from scratch every time.

I will probably start a new company tomorrow red face

A question, How will wars affect sales? Will we be able to sell to a government or a military?

If you have any questions for me feel free to ask away.
Quote:A question, How will wars affect sales? Will we be able to sell to a government or a military?
Originally I planned on having Government/Commercial contracts. This has been put on the backburner for the time being. There are two types of wars in the game, big ones and little ones. The big ones shutdown sales and manufacturing. The little ones only shutdown sales.

Quote: Playing into WW1 made me realize it must have been completely crazy when it began, for car makers and all of society.
An interesting note, WW1 didn't kill that many manufacturers. Most of them idled or switched their production in factories. The war didn't effect infrastructure too badly thus right after the war everything was fine.

The years before the war bankrupted many early manufacturers (If memory serves me 1,000 to 10,000 of them.) There is also a large chunk of bankruptcies during the "Roaring 20s" resulting in companies merging with other companies and the start of the mega-sized manufacturers.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
(05-28-2013, 10:35 PM)Eric.B Wrote:
Quote:A question, How will wars affect sales? Will we be able to sell to a government or a military?
Originally I planned on having Government/Commercial contracts. This has been put on the backburner for the time being. There are two types of wars in the game, big ones and little ones. The big ones shutdown sales and manufacturing. The little ones only shutdown sales.

Quote: Playing into WW1 made me realize it must have been completely crazy when it began, for car makers and all of society.
An interesting note, WW1 didn't kill that many manufacturers. Most of them idled or switched their production in factories. The war didn't effect infrastructure too badly thus right after the war everything was fine.

The years before the war bankrupted many early manufacturers (If memory serves me 1,000 to 10,000 of them.) There is also a large chunk of bankruptcies during the "Roaring 20s" resulting in companies merging with other companies and the start of the mega-sized manufacturers.

Thanks for clearing that up. that makes a lot more sense too that they would just idle.