Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[$30,000] #48 | Synchronized Network Multiplayer | Requires: #45, #46, #47
Price: $30,000

Description: Whereas the Unsynchronized Network Multiplayer bounty doesn't allow players to do their turns simultaneously, the Synchronized Network Multiplayer bounty will add that feature into the game. When players are playing a multiplayer game, they'll be able to take their turns concurrently.

Requirements: #45, #46

Required By: None

Concerns: This bounty requires better network code than the unsynchronized network multiplayer. As mentioned before, I am not a network programmer. So I might have to bring in extra help if we run into network performance bottlenecks.

Whereas everyone is likely to have a local copy of the save game with unsynchronized multiplayer, the synchronized system will need to act more like a server host, which means multiple connections doing SQLite queries. Hosts may have performance issues, especially on slower or unstable internet connections.

There are some issues concerning lost connectivity and what to do with unapplied serialized data. We can resolve most of those issues with additional saved data apart from the save game.

Eric's Opinion: Multiplayer is the most commonly requested feature outside of new vehicles. This bounty completes the multiplayer systems for the game. Because of the previous bounties to get to this point, the system will be a little more complex than just making synchronized network multiplayer outright. But because of those items, I can charge less since a lot of the work is already done. I think the community has a better shot at raising $200,000 split between 4 bounties than $250,000 at once to get this feature alone.

Links:
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski