Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Access to old builds (1.21)
Hi, 

I'm a bit crazy and have some unfinished games from version 1.21 that I really want to still play. Unfortunately steam auto-updated me to 1.22 when 1.24 was released. Is there any way I can revert to/get a copy of 1.21 to finish my games?
Unfortunately there isn't a way to go back to v1.21 via Steam. And sadly I believe v1.21 is a Steam DRM build, so you would have been screwed even if you brought this up after the announcement of save game changes last week: https://steamcommunity.com/games/285110/...5494272585

Your only option was to disable updating GearCity in Steam. You could probably find an illegal pirated copy somewhere. But you will be taking a risk with the software.

Going forward, you can copy your game install into a separate folder and it should work without steam and without updating. I believe all builds after v1.22 are DRM free. Although when if you do jump up to v1.24, I suggest waiting until I announce save game changes in Steam before copying the folder. I am planning on a number of supplemental patches for v1.24 that do not break saves.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but that's what happens with in-development Early Access games.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
I was able to recover 1.21 from steam.

I recommend you copy these files to another location and then try launching the game from there.

Go to the Beta tab in Steam, put in the password ForTifosoMilan and it should show you "Super Legacy". Download it, copy the game folder to a new directory, and try to run it. Let me know if it works so I can remove it from the system.

After you get the files, I recommend returning the Steam build back to default/None beta branch so you have the latest version of the game.

I will remove this file the next supplemental patch for v1.24, so you have a week or two to get it.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
Eric, Thank you so much! I have my copy of 1.21 separate from the main install location and can run both. I've moved my old save games to the 1.21 folder but the application isn't seeing them, I'm sure I can sort that out though, now that the hard part is already taken care of!
Did you put it in the correct location?

GearCity/GearCity/SaveGames/
I think the issue was steam/drm related. When I launch the game from an folder other than my steam library it actually just launches steam and downloads another copy of the game. I guess it’s time to really dive into 1.24 and all the massive improvements!
I figured that was the case.

The good news is, v1.24 should be available for quite some time. As there is only one major update from here, it will most likely remain in legacy build hopefully for as long as Steam exists.