Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New Cities: Post here!
Small mistake on Lyons, France...

It actually spells LYON!
"I build the cars I like. If people wished to buy them, well, that could possibly be arranged." E. BUGATTI
As far as I know, Lyon and Lyons spelling is interchangeable. With Lyons being the historical spelling. (And the spelling on the maps I used to pin point the cities!)
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
As far as I know, well, it has never been called Lyons...

Lyon being the actual "transformation" of the original name of the city during Roman Empire: Lugdunum. Lugdunum became Lyduum, and then Lyuum.

Later, during the 13th century, the "um" suffix became "on" in french cities. That is, the city name became Lyon. Also, in 1320, the Lion (animal) became the official emblem of the city, which was some kind related to the Forez counts and the use of a strong war symbol defending, inherited from the Roman Empire strength of the city.

That is, André Pelletier, a french historian explains it very well in its book "Histoire de Lyon: de la capitale des gaules à la métropole européenne" (Eng: History of Lyon: from the Gauls capital to the european metropole)

But still, it is no big deal at all, just so you know ;-)
In my opinion, it is only a "bad" anglicism of the name
"I build the cars I like. If people wished to buy them, well, that could possibly be arranged." E. BUGATTI
It'll be changed whenever I get around to adding/taking away cities. Smile
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
Yay! Cool, sorry for giving you that kind of "unnecessary" stuff to work on...
No worries, the little stuff is the easiest to do Tongue
(04-02-2013, 09:49 PM)Eric.B Wrote:
(04-02-2013, 08:39 PM)VIPERGTSR01 Wrote: Adelaide.

I haven't tried the beta yet so I am not sure if it has been added, but a while ago I mentioned Adelaide, South Australia was missing even though smaller less important cities were included. I was told to make the suggestion during Beta so here I am. Smile

Adelaide, South Australia has over 1 million in population (~1.1M) and is the city that Holden (GM Australia) vehicles are manufactured for local and Export (modern Pontiac GTO, Pontiac G8, upcoming Chevrolet SS, Vauxhall VXR8 etc) There was a Mitsubishi factory here a few years ago also but has since packed up (Also made some exports). Adelaide also used to feature the Adelaide Gran Prix until 1994.
Adelaide is also pretty central in southern end of Australia so it wont interfer with other cities.

Yes Yes, I'll be adding Adelaide, it's not in yet though.

Some of the really minor cities are there just to fill out the map and give some weird/odd places to start a company.

Good to hear. I was about to suggest Adelaide!

In addition to what VIPERGTSR01 said. The Mitsubishi plant he mentioned was actually opened by Chrysler in 1964. This mean that car manufacturing in Australia actually pre-dates the founding of Mitsubishi that were not founded until 1970!

Also, the company that became Holden was founded in Adelaide in 1852. Though they didn't start producing cars until 1919 (Also in Adelaide).
Finalization of cities will be at the end of this month. If you have any more requested cities please post here!
Otherwise you will have to mod them in when I release the mod tools...
Have you thought about a zoom feature to fix the "crowding" issue of cities?
(03-07-2014, 04:47 AM)shaunisradd Wrote: Have you thought about a zoom feature to fix the "crowding" issue of cities?

No LOD on the textures, but I think I still have debug keys in the game allow you to zoom (Q,Z) if you want to play with it.