Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New Cities: Post here!
Adelaide.

I haven't tried the beta yet so I am not sure if it has been added, but a while ago I mentioned Adelaide, South Australia was missing even though smaller less important cities were included. I was told to make the suggestion during Beta so here I am. Smile

Adelaide, South Australia has over 1 million in population (~1.1M) and is the city that Holden (GM Australia) vehicles are manufactured for local and Export (modern Pontiac GTO, Pontiac G8, upcoming Chevrolet SS, Vauxhall VXR8 etc) There was a Mitsubishi factory here a few years ago also but has since packed up (Also made some exports). Adelaide also used to feature the Adelaide Gran Prix until 1994.
Adelaide is also pretty central in southern end of Australia so it wont interfer with other cities.
(04-02-2013, 08:39 PM)VIPERGTSR01 Wrote: Adelaide.

I haven't tried the beta yet so I am not sure if it has been added, but a while ago I mentioned Adelaide, South Australia was missing even though smaller less important cities were included. I was told to make the suggestion during Beta so here I am. Smile

Adelaide, South Australia has over 1 million in population (~1.1M) and is the city that Holden (GM Australia) vehicles are manufactured for local and Export (modern Pontiac GTO, Pontiac G8, upcoming Chevrolet SS, Vauxhall VXR8 etc) There was a Mitsubishi factory here a few years ago also but has since packed up (Also made some exports). Adelaide also used to feature the Adelaide Gran Prix until 1994.
Adelaide is also pretty central in southern end of Australia so it wont interfer with other cities.

Yes Yes, I'll be adding Adelaide, it's not in yet though.

Some of the really minor cities are there just to fill out the map and give some weird/odd places to start a company.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
glad you put jakarta on gear city...but in my opinion, adding jakarta to gear ctiy not because jakarta had many population. but because jakarta ( n other city in indonesia ) is very consumptive.. Sad
Well Java does have a major road system, and Jakarta is one of the biggest, if not the biggest city in Indonesia. Add on top of that 16% of their GDP is manufacturing and they're growing at an extremely rapid pace. So I think it's good to have them in the game. Specially as Japanese/Korean companies started outsourcing to SE Asia in the mid 90s and beyond.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
(06-11-2013, 10:05 AM)Eric.B Wrote: Well Java does have a major road system, and Jakarta is one of the biggest, if not the biggest city in Indonesia. Add on top of that 16% of their GDP is manufacturing and they're growing at an extremely rapid pace. So I think it's good to have them in the game. Specially as Japanese/Korean companies started outsourcing to SE Asia in the mid 90s and beyond.

yes.. that's the biggest city in indonesia...
oh i forgot to tell you, in 1900 jakarta is called "batavia"
but it doesn't matter Wink
I'd like to see another city in Scandinavia because it's a bit empty Wink So I've lumped two cities together. Both are important to Swedish automotive history. So the cities are Trollhättan which is the birthplace of SAAB, and Torslanda which is the birthplace of Volvo, and together they form Gothenburg (Göteborg) which is the biggest nearest city, and the municipality which Torlanda (it's like a suburb) belongs to. Gothenburg is also important to the automotive industry since the company which invented the roller bearing (SKF, the director of which happened to also be the founder of Volvo...) is from that very city. It's also the biggest harbour in Scandinavia...

Anyway, population numbers by municipality is http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6tebo...#Demografi (graph is pretty straight forward...). The metropolitan area has more citizens, but no stats until 1968. The metropolitan area is considered to have 900K-1.5M citizens (wikipedia stats different numbers) in modern days, however the metropolitan area is rather large.

The city is located about 290 km south of Olso/Kristiania, 400 km west of Stockholm, 320 km north of Copenhagen, on the western seacoast of Sweden. (as an in game comparison, the distance between Leeds and London is 270 km).

Hope the city is accepted, since I have at least one other city/region in mind.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gothenburg
It'll be a few more months before I finalize the cities in the game. So feel free to add more. Smile
Manchester (UK ofc), the place where the first Rolls Royce was produced and founded. Could be "tied" to Liverpool (as a single city Liverpool-Manchester). Manchester forms the backbone of the (former) industrious heartland of Britain, the birthplace of the modern society through the wave industrialization back in the 1750's. Manchester being a rainy pit with loads of factories and Liverpool being a... young city turned into the second most important port of the empire, and the most bombed city in the UK after London. I think the ("new") Range Rover Evoque is produced if not in Liverpool, then at least close (I think it's somewhere on the Wirral, which is like a suburb). Ford also placed it's first non-US plant in Manchester... You can also tie Blackpool to Manchester/Liverpool, which is famous for its TVR (Top Gear knowledge).

So there is some automotive history, and probably more if I bothered to discover it.

Population for Liverpool is "Liverpool was granted city status in 1880, and the following year its university was established. By 1901, the city's population had grown to over 700,000, and its boundaries had expanded to include Kirkdale, Everton, Walton, West Derby, Toxteth and Garston" (http://goo.gl/41NDmf) and Manchester is 1,435,000 (http://goo.gl/hBYf10). However I think both metropolitan areas have a great deal more citizens, both then and now. However, it should be noted that both Liverpool and Manchester as cities (not that metropolitan areas) have decreased in population numbers as a result of economic decline, problems like riots (allegedly Thatcher wanted to "pave over/demolish Liverpool" as a result of it burning for most of the 80s (and being controlled by commies)), people moving out to suburbs instead of cramped terraces.

Distance is the problem here, the UK isn't big. I guess Manchester is about 130 km north of Birmingham, and Liverpool is not much more than half an hour's drive from Manchester (so 25-35 km?). That's also why they should/could be joint up as a "region". If you have to choose, Lpool is the bigger city, Manchester is the bigger metropolitan area. Lpool is more "interesting", Lpool is also more "important" (it's like water or air, not blue or green, and the symbiosis is enormous) since it isn't as replaceable, however Manchester might have played a bigger role in the automotive history and if you don't replace it, it probably ends up being more "important".

tl;dr - Anyway, both Manchester and Liverpool play a great part of the industrialisation of Britain, starting the fire which first spread to the Belg, France, US, etc and which is still spreading in such places as China.
I would suggest Toledo, Ohio. It has a automotive history dating back to Kirk in 1902, as well as a population of over 130,000 in 1900. General Motors and Chrysler have both had a presence in the city.
I would suggest the following cities:

Gothenburg (Sweden), Pop 1900: 86.223 (1884), Volvo and Saab are located there (Saab in the quiet near Trollhättan)

Coventry (England), Pop 1900: 88.107 (1901), quite small but lots of automotive history: Jaguar, Daimler, Triumph, Standard, Humber.

Torino (Italy), Pop 1900: 430.000 (1911), home of Fiat: I would keep Genoa as an important italian City, perhaps you could leave out Monaco.

Hannover (Germany), Pop 1900: 250.000 (1901), Volkswagen (in near Wolfsburg), Hanomag),

Bremen (Germany), Pop 1900: 250.000 (1911), a big harbour in Germany, Borgward, Lloyd, later Mercedes.

I would keep Frankfurt and leave out Mannheim. Of corse the automobile was invented in Mannheim by Carl Benz, but since 1926, it's "only" a production city. Frankfurt is one of the most important cities in Germany and until 1940, Adler produced quite famous cars there. Also Opel is located near Frankfurt.

I suggest to take Breslau one of the biggest cities in Germany until 1945 (Pop 1900: 510.00). Another french City (perhaps Toulouse (Pop 150.000) instead of Andorra) could also be added.

I don't know if cities like Andorra or San Marino are necessary.