Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Regional year end awards based on cars actually sold.
The year end awards system should be based on cars sold in a particular region. Not the base region of the company that makes it, as it is now.

The current model makes growing a global company unnecessary problematic.

Imaginary scenario:

- I start a US company. And being an engineer I like engineering good cars, and I like the sales boost winning awards give me.

- Things work out ok and I want to expand overseas to the EU. And now the hassle start.

- I can sell my models in the EU, but I am only eligible for awards in the US (Yes I can get the global ones but I can not compete for the EU ones)

- Ok I try workaround 1 and a bit of role playing (GM/Vauxhall/Opel kind of thing). So i create a sub marque. But that does not help me one bit. Since all marques I make will also be US based.
Suggestion 1: is the make home region of your sub marques selectable. This would be great for roleplaying, and a workaround for the initial problem although not the ideal one.

- Workaround 2: I buy a company already based in the EU. And can now get my cars eligible for awards there too. But this in turn creates other hassles.

#1 Buying another company works for an US/EU expansion, but not other regions. The AI never seem to start in marginal areas in the early years (I have seen South America, but never Australia, Africa or Asia).

#2 It makes a global company a hassle, to sell a good sedan in 3 regions means you need 3 carbon copies of it under different marques. Add a Phaeton and a Compact Car you have 9 cars to research and manage sales for. Add a couple of more vehicle classes and the sales list clutters up. And making new models every year becomes a lot of repeat clicking. Even if I am using the new trim shortcut, make a new identical trim and just change the marque. (There is a bug there that is annoying see bugthread: Bug! Making a carbon copy clone using the design new trim function). Add a couple of more regions you get the picture...

With the new districting system on the way, tidying up the sales and production side of managing a global company. The award system should also get an overhaul. And selling a car in a region should make you automatically eligible for an award in that region. Example: IF I make and sell the GM sedan1 in the US, EU and Australia, it should be eligible for an award in all three regions.
It really makes sense to me what you suggested.
My way of expanding is buying companies that offers mamufacturer plant that I don't have.
However I can't win any GMC in EU if I don't produce any car/marque based there as you stated.

I hope Eric can give any input or change the way system choose the winner.
I need to conquer the word!! haha :cool:
Just one more turn...
"United we stand, divided we fall" Two Steps From Hell
Whoa! Somehow I missed this thread.

(06-25-2015, 06:26 AM)Shepherd Wrote: #1 Buying another company works for an US/EU expansion, but not other regions. The AI never seem to start in marginal areas in the early years (I have seen South America, but never Australia, Africa or Asia).
AI companies are based on real-life companies. Thus why there are few Australian, African, or Asian companies.

Quote:#2 It makes a global company a hassle, to sell a good sedan in 3 regions means you need 3 carbon copies of it under different marques.
With the new districting system on the way, tidying up the sales and production side of managing a global company.

Districting system as you mentioned should improve the situation.

Quote:And making new models every year becomes a lot of repeat clicking.

As a side note, you don't need a new model year (assuming that's what you mean) every year. Redesigned models in the real world happen around 5-10 years. So you only need to create a New Model Year of your vehicles every 5 years or so.

Quote:The award system should also get an overhaul. And selling a car in a region should make you automatically eligible for an award in that region. Example: IF I make and sell the GM sedan1 in the US, EU and Australia, it should be eligible for an award in all three regions.

I dunno about an "overhaul" the system it self is good. Just need to change it from HQ to Continents.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
(07-07-2015, 06:28 AM)Eric.B Wrote: Whoa! Somehow I missed this thread.
You have also missed a couple of bug threads. Or at least not commented in them

(07-07-2015, 06:28 AM)Eric.B Wrote: As a side note, you don't need a new model year (assuming that's what you mean) every year. Redesigned models in the real world happen around 5-10 years. So you only need to create a New Model Year of your vehicles every 5 years or so.
I do not need to, but they degrade fast, and the way I play I build a new range of chassis, engine and gearbox every other year. Because it makes my cars constantly better and cheaper. It also helps boost my design skill.

(07-07-2015, 06:28 AM)Eric.B Wrote:
Quote:The award system should also get an overhaul. And selling a car in a region should make you automatically eligible for an award in that region. Example: IF I make and sell the GM sedan1 in the US, EU and Australia, it should be eligible for an award in all three regions.

I dunno about an "overhaul" the system it self is good. Just need to change it from HQ to Continents.
After I have been playing some more I really do believe it seriously need an overhaul. My first assumption was incorrect. What I have discovered is that the system will only give out one award per type. If you build an award winning Sedan in US and EU (with a carbon copy) it will award only in the US or in the EU, not both.

What is needed I a system that give a sedan an award in every district/continent it is sold in.

Example: If you build and award winning sedan, and sell it in the US,EU and Australia, it should get three awards. One in each continent it is sold.
(07-10-2015, 06:41 PM)Shepherd Wrote:
(07-07-2015, 06:28 AM)Eric.B Wrote: Whoa! Somehow I missed this thread.
You have also missed a couple of bug threads. Or at least not commented in them
To be fair, every bug thread doesn't need me saying just: "Ok."

I read everything, I even read this when you posted it. Just forgot to reply. I ticket and reread everything when I get to the point that I'm working on bugs again and not features. I will probably not reply to all bug threads, but rest assured they're marketed on my ticket system.

Quote:
(07-07-2015, 06:28 AM)Eric.B Wrote:

After I have been playing some more I really do believe it seriously need an overhaul. My first assumption was incorrect. What I have discovered is that the system will only give out one award per type. If you build an award winning Sedan in US and EU (with a carbon copy) it will award only in the US or in the EU, not both.

What is needed I a system that give a sedan an award in every district/continent it is sold in.

Example: If you build and award winning sedan, and sell it in the US,EU and Australia, it should get three awards. One in each continent it is sold.

What you're describing is not an overhaul. It's a simple removing of one or two lines that limit awards to HQ continent instead of per continent. Overhauling means redoing, so around 5000 lines of code and 1-2 weeks or work to rewrite everything.

Yes, currently you only get awards for your HQ continent. My bad. It will be fixed in time. But I don't think I need to redo the entire selection code, display code, image code, etc for the entire system.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
(07-07-2015, 06:28 AM)Eric.B Wrote: To be fair, every bug thread doesn't need me saying just: "Ok."
No you are right, it's just that you normally have been commenting on most of them.
(07-07-2015, 06:28 AM)Eric.B Wrote: What you're describing is not an overhaul. It's a simple removing of one or two lines that limit awards to HQ continent instead of per continent. Overhauling means redoing, so around 5000 lines of code and 1-2 weeks or work to rewrite everything.

Yes, currently you only get awards for your HQ continent. My bad. It will be fixed in time. But I don't think I need to redo the entire selection code, display code, image code, etc for the entire system.
We are using the word overhaul, slightly differently I think.

Yes you are right. What I suggested is that the part of the code that limits it to HQ location and not sales locations. And the part that limits the system from awarding more than one award per type (If you win a Sedan award in EU, there will be no Sedan award in the US). Needs an adjustment/overhaul/fix.

A complete rewrite is not necessary.
(07-12-2015, 07:36 AM)Shepherd Wrote:
(07-07-2015, 06:28 AM)Eric.B Wrote: To be fair, every bug thread doesn't need me saying just: "Ok."
No you are right, it's just that you normally have been commenting on most of them.
Real life (people) issues, medical issues, and trying to keep working on GC at least 70hr a week has swamped me. Detailed replies to everything is what we lose because of these things.

Should hopefully get back to some what normal pace sometime next month. (84hr of code, 10-20 hours of paperwork, forum posts, and cat videos merged in between coding sessions.)

Quote:Yes you are right. What I suggested is that the part of the code that limits it to HQ location and not sales locations. And the part that limits the system from awarding more than one award per type (If you win a Sedan award in EU, there will be no Sedan award in the US). Needs an adjustment/overhaul/fix.

A complete rewrite is not necessary.

Both of those issues stem from the same bit of code, being limited to just HQ. If I remove that limit you'll be able to win both EU and NA sedan awards. Smile
Awards are now opened to all companies who have branches in the regions. I have made another ticket to limit this to only vehicles sold in the region. This extra fix is conditionality to optimizations I am able to make on turn times.
This seems to work very well.

Thank you Smile