Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GearCity will not open!
Hi, I just bought the GearCity from steam and I downloaded the file. However, I am unable to open the game. I verified the integrity of game files but still could not play the game. The game would say "running" for a while and then nothing would happen. Please help!
Ah, did you email me this morning? I have replied with a couple of things to try, and a couple of questions.

Since there is an extra piece of information on here (that steam says it's running). Try rebooting the computer.

Let me know, and check out the email I sent.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
Hi! I've been having the same problem on my Macbook Pro. Thing is, I bought Gear City over a year ago, and it worked just fine on the very same computer! When I start Gear City, the steam UI window that lets me choose whether to launch the game or the config pops up, and then if I choose to launch the game, the GearCity process starts but doesn't create a window. Steam says that it's running. Looking at it in Activity Monitor, it's using a small, reasonable amount of CPU and memory. The weirdest thing is that occasionally, if I force-quit steam and then relaunch steam, the Gear City start menu will actually pop up! Steam no longer recognizes the game as running, but I can get as far as the new game options screen, and everything works fine until I actually start the game, at which point it promptly crashes.

This is all consistent across the last few builds, and I've tried both stable and testing builds. Rebooting has no effect, and it's been verified and reinstalled many times, to no avail.
Sorry for a late reply. I don't get an email if you post in someone else's thread. If you would have started a new thread, I would have immediately answered. Smile

(01-27-2018, 08:16 PM)pablito Wrote: Hi! I've been having the same problem on my Macbook Pro. Thing is, I bought Gear City over a year ago, and it worked just fine on the very same computer! When I start Gear City, the steam UI window that lets me choose whether to launch the game or the config pops up, and then if I choose to launch the game, the GearCity process starts but doesn't create a window. Steam says that it's running. Looking at it in Activity Monitor, it's using a small, reasonable amount of CPU and memory. The weirdest thing is that occasionally, if I force-quit steam and then relaunch steam, the Gear City start menu will actually pop up! Steam no longer recognizes the game as running, but I can get as far as the new game options screen, and everything works fine until I actually start the game, at which point it promptly crashes.

This is all consistent across the last few builds, and I've tried both stable and testing builds. Rebooting has no effect, and it's been verified and reinstalled many times, to no avail.

Steam does not remove old configuration files when you uninstall the game. So you should do a clean install of the game if you haven't played in a year.
Here is how to do it:
1) Open the install folder for the game: http://wiki.gearcity.info/lib/exe/detail...folder.gif
2) Return to steam, uninstall the game.
3) Go back to the folder you opened in step #1. Delete anything that remains in the folder. (Should be a GearCity.app)
4) Reboot the computer.
5) Reinstall the game.
6) Start the game, leave settings to default. Start a new game and see if it works.

That being said. Occasionally the game may not start on OSX. This is a known issue on newer versions of OSX. If it starts with a black window for longer than 15 seconds, just kill the process, and restart the game.

If a clean install doesn't fix the main issue, I'll need to know which version of OSX you are using and what video card/drivers you have on your mac book. Sending me the log file after crashing is helpful too: http://wiki.gearcity.info/doku.php?id=tr...e_log_file

Newer versions of OSX have degraded the OSX port of the game. I do not plan on attempting to fix these issues until the game is complete due to the fact that OSX is a pain in the butt to develop on and the issues are probably not fixable due to Apple being Apple. A WINE compatible version may be shipped with OSX in the near future for folks who have stability issues with the native OSX build.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski