Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1.23 Progress Thread
Welcome to the 1.23 Progress Thread. Here we will keep a running change log of everything that has been implemented for 1.23.

We will be formatting things down a bit more in thread. I will add separate headers for versions and additional lines? columns? Whatever, describing if changes are bug fixes, features, balancing, mod tools, documentation, maps, or whatever else.

V1.23 focuses mainly on a redesign of the contracting system. This redesign in v1.22.1 should make the contracting system easier to use, a little less "clunky" (within the limitations of our poor GUI system), and a bit more flexible in terms of moddability. This will allow me to expand into some new features, such as racing contracts. Following that in v1.22.2, the plan is to expand the licensing system to allow you to manufacture for other companies (and visa versa) rather than just lease out intellectual property for the AI/You to use. Then wrapping it all up, v1.22.3 (and any other minor builds for v1.23) will focus on minor features and bug fixes in the two new contracting systems. Of the minor features planned, a major one to note is improvements to the auto production system.

I will continue to work on documentation on Saturdays and Maps/Mods on Mondays.

The following is all included in v1.23, but broken down here into minor builds for Testing users.

v1.22.1 Change Log

- Engine Feature: Added more contracting system data to external .xml files for modding.
- Game Mechanics: Added support for chassis and gearbox contracts, though not implemented in game yet.
- Game Mechanics: Rewrote Contract Generation, AI bidding, and contract awarding code for new features and systems.
- GUI: Redesign contracting GUI window layout.
- GUI: Removed most of the "About" for the contract.
- GUI: Contract requirement table, that color codes based on what passes the contract requirements and what fails. Generated text telling you which requirement you failed and why.
- GUI: Removed parts/vehicle selection window and merged the list into the contract window.
- GUI: We now show all parts/vehicles in the contract list, but color code the listing based on if they pass or fail the requirements, or if you have submitted a bit with that unit.
- Bug Fix: Fixed Base City Map Miami Per Capita for 1900-1950.
- Bug Fix: Italian translation file causing magazine not to work.
- Balance Tweak: slightly boosted gear's effect on acceleration. (from 0.5s to 1.5s.)
- Bug Fix: Fixed Bore Slider issue with engines that have more than 2 banks.
- Bug Fix: Fixed AI issue with bore, length, and width with engines that have more than 2 banks.
- Bug Fix: Fixed bug in AI Racing engine generation that caused engine lengths to be very long, thus very heavy, due to incorrect math with the engine banking system.
- Bug Fix: Fixed bug where stocks could reject player take over if the player owned 50%+1 shares.
- Exploit Fix: Put monthly purchase restriction in the save game to prevent player from buying multiple companies on the same turn by exiting the game and returning.
- Bug Fix: Fixed bug in the stock reports that occasionally showed the 52 week stock lows being higher than the 52 week stock highs.
- Bug Fix: Fixed AI's and player's ability to get too many loans/bonds.
- Bug Fix: Racing Champ Memo firing when racing is suspended due to world wars.
- Bug Fix: Merging with company no longer makes you lose tech that you have unlocked, even if your skill points are lower than the req.
- AI Improvement: AI will chassis selection now weighted to vehicle type's cargo importance rating. Thus small chassis for smaller vehicle types and bigger chassis for bigger types when choosing an existing chassis.
- Gameplay: Chassis stability slider now effects performance ratings a little more.
- GUI: Display racing XP points in the "View Teams" window.
- AI Improvement: AI racing now checks to make sure vehicle's selected have a minimum HP, and if not, designs a specific vehicle for racing. This is to prevent low powered vehicles in series.
- AI Improvement: AI replaces engines/vehicles from racing series more often.
- Gameplay: You can now submit more than one bid per contract.
- GUI: Contract Submitted vehicles and components are now blue color in the selector.
- GUI: Fixed several wording issues and added more information in the various contracts memos.
- Gameplay: Balanced contract requirement for various contract types, to bring them in line with realistic numbers.
- Gameplay: Removed some unrealistic engine contract types such as large ships. (They can always be modded back in, I recommend adding some marine engine types if you do.)
- Gameplay: Added some new engine contract types.
- Bug Fix: Crash if you hit enter twice on "End How Many Turns" window in the office.
- GUI: Redesign of Engine Contract Factory Selection GUI. Added some new features and information.
- Gameplay: Engine (and soon other components) now have a number of units produced per production line. The game will produce only the amount of units needed, and not more. This means you can fill multiple contracts with 1 production line. Or if you have a really big contract, it may require multiple production lines.
- Bug Fix: Several fixes to a full screen resolution regression bug caused by a fix for a rare bug in v1.21 and older. This was pushed as a hotfix for Default build users. Testing build will get this for v1.22.1
- GUI: Added number of units needed to the vehicles Assign Contract side panel.
- GUI: Added list of factories producing the vehicle and how many are being produced for the vehicles Assign Contract side panel.
- GUI: Added number of units needed to the engine Assign Contract side panel.
- GUI: Added list of factories producing the engine and how many for the engine Assign Contract side panel.
- GUI: Color coded Contract List based on filled or unfilled in Assign Contracts panel.
- GUI: Unfilled contracts no matter the type will cause a popup window in the office.
- Gameplay: Contract Units can be filled all at once if you have enough units. For vehicles, the minimum number of units (monthly requirement) are shipped first, then vehicles to customers, then any remaining vehicles can be shipped to contracts as extras.
- Gameplay: Enabled/Disable filling contracts all at once in the "Autocommands" section of the Mega Menu. It is defaulted to on.
- Gameplay: War now causes contracts to cancel. The exception to this is military contracts for your HQ country.
- Gameplay: You can now terminate contracts prematurely in the Assign Contracts Panel. You will have to pay the breach of contract penalty.
- Gameplay: You can now assign the first priority factory to receive vehicles from in a contract. The game will pull from this factory first to fill the contract requirements before it gets the required vehicles from other factories. You can find the drop down in the Assign Contract panel. Only the factories which are producing the vehicle is listed.
- GUI: Factory Production side panel now shows number of units required for contracts.
- Bugfix: Fixed bug in district lock estimated transportation costs for district branches.
- Bug Fix: Incorrect Min/Max Estimated Shipping Costs
- Bug Fix: Missing Random Fluff News Articles
- Bug Fix: Contracting Memo showing all contracts.
- Content: War/Coup/Conflict new articles and government stability between 1945-1963 added to Base City Map.

v1.22.2 Change Log

"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
Almost two weeks since I made this thread, but I have been working almost non-stop since then!

So what did I do? Well, the most of the internals to the contracting system has been rewritten. The new system expands the amount of data exposed to the .xml files, thus allowing you (and me) to modify the values easily. It also allows us to create different contract types that have different specifications easier.

I've also implemented the ability to support chassis and gearbox contracts, although these are currently not in the game as they will be added in v1.22.2 when we get an update to the licensing system.

I've also changed some of the requirements for engines and vehicle contracts. We no longer have a CC requirement for most contracts (there will be a CC requirement for racing contracts, but more on that in v1.22.2).

The GUI for the contracting system has been overhauled, you will no longer have to read a big thing of text to see the requirements of the contract. We've also merged the parts/vehicle selection list into the same window. And the requirements will change green or red based on which requirements you have met or do not meet. The list of parts/vehicles will list all your parts, but they will be color coded as well for which meet the requirements, which do not, and which you have submitted already.

I still have many new features to add to the contracting system, but since I got the new internal system on par with the old system in terms of functionality, I switch over to the recent string of bug reports that missed our SP2.

On a final note, I have pushed back the last couple Document Saturdays and Map/Mod Monday's. I'm queuing them up for some forced "laptop time". Since programming on my laptop is slow and gives me a headache, it would be better for me to spend time on the laptop more wisely doing document and mod tool stuff.

The following change log may be incomplete, as I did run across a couple bugs here and there that I fixed but did not document...

- Engine Feature: Added more contracting system data to external .xml files for modding.
- Game Mechanics: Added support for chassis and gearbox contracts, though not implemented in game yet.
- Game Mechanics: Rewrote Contract Generation, AI bidding, and contract awarding code for new features and systems.
- GUI: Redesign contracting GUI window layout.
- GUI: Removed most of the "About" for the contract.
- GUI: Contract requirement table, that color codes based on what passes the contract requirements and what fails. Generated text telling you which requirement you failed and why.
- GUI: Removed parts/vehicle selection window and merged the list into the contract window.
- GUI: We now show all parts/vehicles in the contract list, but color code the listing based on if they pass or fail the requirements, or if you have submitted a bit with that unit.
- Bug Fix: Fixed Base City Map Miami Per Capita for 1900-1950.
- Bug Fix: Italian translation file causing magazine not to work.
- Balance Tweak: slightly boosted gear's effect on acceleration. (from 0.5s to 1.5s.)
- Bug Fix: Fixed Bore Slider issue with engines that have more than 2 banks.
- Bug Fix: Fixed AI issue with bore, length, and width with engines that have more than 2 banks.
- Bug Fix: Fixed bug in AI Racing engine generation that caused engine lengths to be very long, thus very heavy, due to incorrect math with the engine banking system.
- Bug Fix: Fixed bug where stocks could reject player take over if the player owned 50%+1 shares.
- Exploit Fix: Put monthly purchase restriction in the save game to prevent player from buying multiple companies on the same turn by exiting the game and returning.
- Bug Fix: Fixed bug in the stock reports that occasionally showed the 52 week stock lows being higher than the 52 week stock highs.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
v1.22.1 is about 75% done, still a few more large things to do though. The biggest ones left are fulfilling contract orders faster than the monthly values, assisted designer for contracts, and vehicle contract pull locations. Anyway, I'll be spending the next 10 days or so working on map content and documentation before I switch back to code and finish those last 25% tickets. Hopefully v1.22.1 will be ready first week of next month.

Also our ticket server is either about to crash or under heavy stress (it's a Pentium 4), so I have to manually move tickets and code to a new repository. This will take up a day or so.

So what have I taken care of since the last update?
- Bug Fix: Fixed AI's and player's ability to get too many loans/bonds.
- Bug Fix: Racing Champ Memo firing when racing is suspended due to world wars.
- Bug Fix: Merging with company no longer makes you lose tech that you have unlocked, even if your skill points are lower than the req.
- AI Improvement: AI will chassis selection now weighted to vehicle type's cargo importance rating. Thus small chassis for smaller vehicle types and bigger chassis for bigger types when choosing an existing chassis.
- Gameplay: Chassis stability slider now effects performance ratings a little more.
- GUI: Display racing XP points in the "View Teams" window.
- AI Improvement: AI racing now checks to make sure vehicle's selected have a minimum HP, and if not, designs a specific vehicle for racing. This is to prevent low powered vehicles in series.
- AI Improvement: AI replaces engines/vehicles from racing series more often.
- Gameplay: You can now submit more than one bid per contract.
- GUI: Contract Submitted vehicles and components are now blue color in the selector.
- GUI: Fixed several wording issues and added more information in the various contracts memos.
- Gameplay: Balanced contract requirement for various contract types, to bring them in line with realistic numbers.
- Gameplay: Removed some unrealistic engine contract types such as large ships. (They can always be modded back in, I recommend adding some marine engine types if you do.)
- Gameplay: Added some new engine contract types.
- Bug Fix: Crash if you hit enter twice on "End How Many Turns" window in the office.
- GUI: Redesign of Engine Contract Factory Selection GUI. Added some new features and information.
- Gameplay: Engine (and soon other components) now have a number of units produced per production line. The game will produce only the amount of units needed, and not more. This means you can fill multiple contracts with 1 production line. Or if you have a really big contract, it may require multiple production lines.
- Bug Fix: Several fixes to a full screen resolution regression bug caused by a fix for a rare bug in v1.21 and older. This was pushed as a hotfix for Default build users. Testing build will get this for v1.22.1
It's been just about 2 weeks since I last updated this thread. Unfortunately I had to take about 10 days off, away from the development computers for family related issues. I did spend some of those 10 days working on documentation with my laptop. I've got most of the basic information on the mod tools finished. Only a couple more editors remain to be worked on and documented, before I move on to the final game play manual/in-depth overview of game variables. I will eventually be making some videos for the mod tools, after I finish the existing in game map's data. You can find this page by clicking Help, then Manual in the game, or by going directly to the site: http://wiki.gearcity.info/doku.php

Upon returning I've been able to knock out a number of tickets. v1.22.1 is looking for a first week release in August, most likely the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th. While I could push it out sooner, I want to test out this contracting system a bit more, knock out a couple minor tickets, and catch up the map data.

- GUI: Added number of units needed to the vehicles Assign Contract side panel.
- GUI: Added list of factories producing the vehicle and how many are being produced for the vehicles Assign Contract side panel.
- GUI: Added number of units needed to the engine Assign Contract side panel.
- GUI: Added list of factories producing the engine and how many for the engine Assign Contract side panel.
- GUI: Color coded Contract List based on filled or unfilled in Assign Contracts panel.
- GUI: Unfilled contracts no matter the type will cause a popup window in the office.
- Gameplay: Contract Units can be filled all at once if you have enough units. For vehicles, the minimum number of units (monthly requirement) are shipped first, then vehicles to customers, then any remaining vehicles can be shipped to contracts as extras.
- Gameplay: Enabled/Disable filling contracts all at once in the "Autocommands" section of the Mega Menu. It is defaulted to on.
- Gameplay: War now causes contracts to cancel. The exception to this is military contracts for your HQ country.
- Gameplay: You can now terminate contracts prematurely in the Assign Contracts Panel. You will have to pay the breach of contract penalty.
- Gameplay: You can now assign the first priority factory to receive vehicles from in a contract. The game will pull from this factory first to fill the contract requirements before it gets the required vehicles from other factories. You can find the drop down in the Assign Contract panel. Only the factories which are producing the vehicle is listed.
- GUI: Factory Production side panel now shows number of units required for contracts.
- Bugfix: Fixed bug in district lock estimated transportation costs for district branches.
v1.22.1 has been released.

The newest feature since the last post is the assisted contract engine designer. You can find the drop down box and buttons in the assisted engine designer. I will expand this to chassis and gearboxes when contracts for those components make it into the game. And I will also add it to vehicles when we get some pre-made vehicle bodies.

Here are the other things we implemented since the last post:
- Feature: Assisted Contract Engine Designer. Automatically attempts to design engine for selected contract.
- Bugfix: AI spending too much money on racing in the first year in late state games. Thus causing them to go bankrupt early.
- Bugfix: Fixed missing data in vehicle and city reports if the vehicle was in production but not for sale.
- Bugfix: Image report used design luxury skills rather than luxury image.
- Bugfix: Selling or Spinning off Marques does not change Used Cars owner, thus giving the former parent company OEM parts revenues from vehicles they no longer service.
- Bugfix: Fixed incorrect unfunded pension data in Monthly Report and Expense Report.
- Bugfix: Fixed two extra buttons bug in Share Dilution Lawsuit action memo.
- Bugfix: Fixed bug causing dividends not to come out of player on hand funds.
- Bugfix: Reordered awards award order so that the player can not get best in world without winning a regional award.
- Bugfix: Fixed bug in assisted vehicle designer where estimated values, ratings, and prices would not update after changing a component unless the player moved a slider.
- Bugfix: Fixed Broken Refit and Trim button in Modify Component Refit menu.
Spent the last week working on map data and waiting for any major bugs in testing build that needed to be fixed for SP1. A couple of minor bugs were fixed in this time, and the Base City Map war data is now up to 1963. I'll now shift back to full time programming for v1.22.2.

- Bug Fix: Incorrect Min/Max Estimated Shipping Costs
- Bug Fix: Missing Random Fluff News Articles
- Bug Fix: Contracting Memo showing all contracts.
- Content: War/Coup/Conflict new articles and government stability between 1945-1963 added to Base City Map.