Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
King Cars - A new Start - Extreme difficulty, minor tutorial use
1914-1931:

(1/1931)
Pension funds: $10,448,818,114
Credits, bonds etc.: $0
Cash on hand: $6,637,720,377

The design stall lasted a while. To counter this we decided to change our strategy again with a test on our oldest design - the pickup. The strategy consisted of offering many trims, not just two like before. Instead of a cheap and expensive one there should be several trims in between.

Tests with our pickup and van, as they share the platform, were successful. However, we had the feeling the models cannibalized each other too much and the market share gain isn't worth the loss of money. For the future we will stick to a strategy with usually three trims: Large, Medium, Small. This usually means a smaller engine also has a bit less luxury features etc. and therefor we can price them accordingly, trying to target different groups.

Being lazy during the 1920s there was not too much development. Most designs were simple refreshes from refreshes from refreshes with the chassis and gearbox often from the 1908 year and the engines from 1915. Beginning mid 1920 this made our production numbers suffer. Our phaeton designs went from 320.000 sold cars a year to about 180.000 sold cars in the next year.
Our goal was to last until the unibody is available in 2/1930 and, with that, refresh the whole portfolio.

This went well with two exceptions: The standard chassis we created were not strong enough for the Sedan or had not enough cargo space for the Sedan and therefor for all cars with high cargo demand. The other exception was the prices increased massively. Were you able to get our entry level Coupe for $1300 you now must spend $2500. We tried to conquer this with a new trim on some models where prices skyrocked massively, the T(iny) build. Those are usually using our small engine (4-5kW) from the Microcar and 2-shift instead of the standard 4-shift gearbox.
If people want cheap scrap, people get cheap scrap.

We also went to Asia (factories in Tokyo and Osaka), Australia (factories in Brisbane and Melbourne) and South America (factories in Buenos Aires and Rio de Janeiro). Business is hard but we get a foot in the door. We also upgraded all branches to 100%/100%. Together with only super factories (100%/100%) we stand solid everywhere, even if this means break even or little loss in some cities for the moment.

All in all business is looking good. I'm not massively happy with the auto-production-feature but for now I'll use it. I have lots of missed car sales even with several production lines available. This can be countered by deactivating selling on continent but then the transport costs increase massively. I guess in the next update I'll post some screenshots.
1932-1940:

(12/1940)
Pension funds: $10,448,818,114
Credits, bonds etc.: $0
Cash on hand: $6,637,720,377

We purchased all other manufacturers and discontinued them. In 1938 we made new trims of our models

(Unfortunately it seems when activating random history there are no wars (or at least there was no war yet) as well as no huge depressions etc. The savegame still makes fun but I'll start a historic one for now to look for an even greater challenge, trying to use unconventional engines, marques for different segments etc.)
(09-13-2018, 05:55 AM)Curse Wrote: (Unfortunately it seems when activating random history there are no wars (or at least there was no war yet) as well as no huge depressions etc. The savegame still makes fun but I'll start a historic one for now to look for an even greater challenge, trying to use unconventional engines, marques for different segments etc.)

There should be wars and depressions with random history. Are you sure you didn't click the "no wars" and "No major economic changes" checkboxes at the start of the game? Did you check your newspaper to be sure there were no wars?
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
Yep. I guess I just had a lucky gameplay not just because of wars and depression, but also because of profit. There was no box check at no war etc. Smile

In my new playthrough I had to start over twice because of not enough successful models (nightmare difficulty) but then was lucky to score a massive contract with my first car (deadline 3/1906, 249x Sedan per month for several years).

However, I really love to come back to the savegame soon and discover random events.

The game is so great. Having played over 370 hours yet. You're the man, Eric!