Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Graphics Temp and CTD`s when at RnD Department
First of all many thanks for your "precious" game.
I have been waiting since more than 2 decades for a good spiritual successor of "Detroit" and "Motor City" games.
I really hope your success so I can play Aero Mogul sooner.

When I am at RnD Department designing a component, it happens with all, and I am choosing sliders if I sit there some time my video card fans start spinning crazy and than CTD. But if I am always moving sliders then video card fans start to spin slower.

My video card is a MSI R9 290X Lightning running in a Win 7 64Bits.

Thanks.

Attached Files
.log   Logfile.log (Size: 236.68 KB / Downloads: 381)
Sorry for the late reply, I was out of office.

(11-13-2016, 11:34 AM)bragametro Wrote: First of all many thanks for your "precious" game.
I have been waiting since more than 2 decades for a good spiritual successor of "Detroit" and "Motor City" games.
I really hope your success so I can play Aero Mogul sooner.

Thanks for the kind words. AM will take a while to make, we have to get GC done first!

Quote:When I am at RnD Department designing a component, it happens with all, and I am choosing sliders if I sit there some time my video card fans start spinning crazy and than CTD. But if I am always moving sliders then video card fans start to spin slower.

My video card is a MSI R9 290X Lightning running in a Win 7 64Bits.

Thanks.

This shouldn't be a problem with this video card/OS combo.

Looking at your log file, I noticed a bunch of:
3D9 device: 0x[09F200E0] lost.

Before your crash. Did you open up another window, alt-tabbed, or minimize the game any? DirectX 9 has a problem with this sort of thing. if it's not handled properly. Sometimes it's unnoticeable with certain drivers, sometimes it crashes anytime it loses focus.

Anyway, I believe this is the case. A simple solution to this issue if you find your self switching screens often is to use the OpenGL renderer (you can change it in the settings.) OpenGL will be less graphically pretty, but it should be much more stable.

If this works for you, let me know. If it doesn't, send me the new log file.

Thanks! And Sorry.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
Hi Eric,

Thanks for your quick reply, I wasn't expecting it on Sunday.

I will make some experience later on and then give you feedback.
I will reboot the PC and, run the game with DirectX 9 without alt-tabbed or minimizing it , go to RnD Department and make a new engine. Then when at the sliders setting leave it there for some time and see what happens.
Make exactly the same but running it with OpenGL and again see what happens.
After that I will report it here with the log file.

Again many thanks.
Hi Eric,

After doing the test on DirectX 9 and Open GL.
Didn't leave Gear City, didn't open another window whatsoever.
Game running on DirectX 9, going to RnD Department building new engine, choosing sliders setting and without doing anything I listen GPU fans going crazy and after some seconds I see appearing some artefacts on display and after that I cant move even the cursor, the GPU fans have calmed down, so Ctrl-Alt-Del terminate Gear City and found trough GPU-Z that my VGA card just it 86 Celsius.
I also found that if I move the sliders, GPU fans throttle down a little bit.

So running the game on my PC have introduced a new difficult level, you will need to choose the best setting for components in less than a couple of minutes.Wink

Did the same with Open GL and you know what? It worked ok, exactly like you said.
I am using Open GL for now.

Don't know if it is my PC or is it a bug but I am uploading both Logs files.

Thanks.

Attached Files
.log   Logfile DirectX 9.log (Size: 55.71 KB / Downloads: 375)
.log   Logfile OpenGL.log (Size: 74.95 KB / Downloads: 418)
Interesting.

Are you having similar issues with any other DirectX 9 games? Perhaps try reinstalling/repairing your directx 9 install?

It's most certainly an issue with the drivers or your directx9 installation.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
Hi Eric,

Just to keep you updated.

This problem is now solved. The issue was in DirectX as you stated.
I reinstalled DirectX 9 and DirectX from Microsoft but didn't worked.
Always stated an installation error.
So, after some Google surf I have found that the problem with the DirectX installation on my PC was this 2 files being corrupted:
dsetup.dll and dsetup32.dll.

I have manually deleted DirectX folders at C:\windows\sysWOW64\directx\websetup and C:\windows\system32\DirectX\websetup.
After a reboot reinstalled Microsoft DirectX: dxwebsetup.exe
Another reboot and voila. Problem solved.
No more crash to desktop.
And Graphics Temp are now about 40º celcius.

Conclusion: WinkI found a big bug between the keyboard and the chairWink

Regards,
Bragametro
Whew, you had me worried when I saw this thread popped back up! Smile

No the issue is with Windows. It's a wonder why so many developers (and consumers) have abandoned PC gaming... Sad
When consoles just work, and all the hardware is the same...

Anyhoo, Glad you figured it out. Curious though, did you have issues in any other games? Might help me debug this if I ever run into it again while trouble shooting. Smile