Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuel Coefficient problem
First of all I need to clarify that it didn't become an obsession for me to find any bug or any other problem of the game but I see it as my contribution to make this game an even better game. Now since I was not very satisfied with Diesel vs Gasoline engines (and that because there is only one coefficient "power" which can work for Torque OR Power adjustment but you cannot adjust both in a satisfactory way (If I gain the right amount of Torque for a Diesel I gain too much power) I tried to adjust "power" and "fuel" coefficients in components.xml and find a better balance.The fact is that that values below 1 for the "fuel" coefficient don't have any effect. That is not the case for "power" and probably the other coefficients. Since I saw other types of engines with "fuel" coefficient values below 1, I believe it's worth a try and verify the issue,thank you
Sorry for the late reply,

In the XML file, power rating directly effects the engine's brake specific torque , fuel rating directly effects the engine's BSFC.
In game the vehicle power rating is directly effected by Torque/(HighTorqueValue*time) and Fuel rating is 2*mpg. (I believe it is the same for Engine's power rating, but Fuel rating is just a flat mpg.)

Fuel Consumption is calculated based on multiple factors. The Fuel's Fuel rating should account for at worst 5% of engine's BSFC and at best 30%. Again that all depends on the design, selected components and various other factors.

The Fuel's xml Power rating should have similar effects to the engine's torque. Around 5-30% depending on selections and sliders. Too much math there for me to figure out at the minute.

In any event, if you're looking at just engine's, setting value below 1 for fuel, you should notice an effect. However if you're looking at a vehicle's finished fuel consumption based on the changing fuel.xml values, there are many many variables that come into play. For instance, if you're building heavy vehicles, the extra torque would actually improve fuel consumption rather than hurt it.

Anyway, we'll be getting more information and tools to modify the game in v1.22. I should have an entire wiki page describing the inter workings of the game and the effects on the outer working have on them. (Also will implement a mod loading system so you don't break the original files! Wink )
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
Sorry for this late answer, a flu was the reason. First of all, I am always referring to the engine design, not the vehicle design. Second, after doing some more tests, I found out that probably the reason of what I say is the formula you use for the fuel mileage calculation. It must be a math function with results represented by a parabola and for values below 1 gives nearly null as a result. In other words values below 1 are functional but they are almost useless as they give near to nothing changes in fuel capacity. That is obvious by starting a 1980 new game and design a new electric engine. By changing Gen between Gen 1 and 3 there isn't any change in fuel capacity because all values are below 1.
Glad you got better,

Sorry for my late reply. Was primarily focused on getting the latest testing build out.

The math for fuel economy, as far as fuel types are considered is strictly linear. Not including an exponential increase based on the year, but that effects almost all variables. Here is the particular line:
Code:
fuelmilage += (9 * ex_1d0023p_year99*slider.FuelFuel) + (9 * ex_1d0023p_year99*slider.TECH_Tech) ;

So the bigger question is how are you testing the conditions. Other factors such as boresize, sliders, valves, etc all have an effect on fuel economy. Code wise, as you can see 0.5 Fuel Fuel Rating in 1900 would add 4.51 mpg to the calculations where as a a 1 would have 9.02 mpg effect.

Quote: By changing Gen between Gen 1 and 3 there isn't any change in fuel capacity because all values are below 1.
Electric and other cylinderless engines are special cases. And are not completely balanced yet in the hard code. I'm waiting for v1.22 for this, as the mod tools will make it much easier to modify these things.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski