Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
String of suggestions.
So as promised on steam, I decided to post what I find wrong with the game.

1: I don't like the "prediction" tab when predicting how well you car will do. I get that there's a point when it becomes generic, and stuff like final weight and mpgs etc may be skewed or slightly wrong the designing the actual parts . Specially when you are accounting for missing parts you didn't design. I find the model to be overly optimistic vs pessimistic. For example I designed a car with a 3 different 4 speed gear boxes. 1 geared more for high speed/eco, another for high speed/high torque, and last high torque all around.

Despite it showing that one had speed in the 30s another in th low 40s, 6 mpgs vs 8 mpgs in the prediction tab. When I actually designed the car the differences in the three gearboxes were non existant. As they all had very similar top speed @ 35 or so... and all had 6 mpgs vs. the 8 mpgs that was promised by the ultra eco.

2: Sometimes what it shows "star rating wise" in the design panel doesn't reflect in the finished design. For example, a 2 1/2 star strength chassis will turn out to be a 2 star chassis.

3: A way to delete superfluous designs that just clutter up my "view" panel when I shot through old designs that I "end". While there are some I may want to keep, I may not want to keep EVERYONE. Particularly when all I changed was the design pace.

4: A way to change the design pace without having to "redesign" something.

That's all I have for now. Thanks for reading.
Quote:1: I don't like the "prediction" tab when predicting how well you car will do. I get that there's a point when it becomes generic, and stuff like final weight and mpgs etc may be skewed or slightly wrong the designing the actual parts. Specially when you are accounting for missing parts you didn't design.
This is because the game can not predict what or how you're going to adjust sliders in the future. Also because the body's aerodynamic drag and surface area are guesstimates for the time period. When we get predesigned vehicles, we'll probably use the drag calculations for them.

That being said the prototyping code uses the same code as the assisted designer to fill in the blanks. So say you're designing an Engine, but don't set anything else, if you were to use the assisted designer to create the chassis, gearbox, and vehicle, your results will be much closer (minus the aerodynamic drag and surface area influences) to what's in prototyping.

Quote:Despite it showing that one had speed in the 30s another in th low 40s, 6 mpgs vs 8 mpgs in the prediction tab. When I actually designed the car the differences in the three gearboxes were non existant. As they all had very similar top speed @ 35 or so... and all had 6 mpgs vs. the 8 mpgs that was promised by the ultra eco.
Most likely because you were hitting terminal velocity with your body design. Because your vehicle body had such high drag and surface area it can not reach much higher than 35 with your different gearing. Likewise, you might be pushing the engines to their max due to terminal velocity, such that you get the minimum amount of fuel mileage (which is a percentage of your brake specific engine fuel consumption.)

Quote:2: Sometimes what it shows "star rating wise" in the design panel doesn't reflect in the finished design. For example, a 2 1/2 star strength chassis will turn out to be a 2 star chassis.

This is working as designed. The stars in the design panels are "Estimates"
The lower your design skills are, the greater these estimates will be from the truth. Likewise the higher your design skills are the closer to accurate (and higher) the ratings will be.

Which if you think about it is fairly true in real life. If everyone knew exactly how good something is before they started doing it, there wouldn't be a need for engineering analyst in the world.

Quote:3: A way to delete superfluous designs that just clutter up my "view" panel when I shot through old designs that I "end". While there are some I may want to keep, I may not want to keep EVERYONE. Particularly when all I changed was the design pace.

End Production of these designs (RnD->Modify->Component->End Production.

Then when in the "view" windows, check the Active box to remove old designs.

Quote:4: A way to change the design pace without having to "redesign" something.
Sadly due to how the development is designed this probably won't happen. As we'd have to rewrite quite a bit of code to make it work.

Quote:That's all I have for now. Thanks for reading.
Quite welcome! Thanks for the feedback! Smile
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
Forgot I posted this.
Quote:This is working as designed. The stars in the design panels are "Estimates"
The lower your design skills are, the greater these estimates will be from the truth. Likewise the higher your design skills are the closer to accurate (and higher) the ratings will be.

Which if you think about it is fairly true in real life. If everyone knew exactly how good something is before they started doing it, there wouldn't be a need for engineering analyst in the world.

Which is true, and it would be more understandable if it were random i.e. high skill (slightly better with slight variance), mid.. (about the same as expected), low (results are randomly lower than expected).

However it's a consistent and predictable error 45 rated engine gives 2 1/2 stars in design panel and when the model is completed the same chassis/engine etc.. has the same rating just 1/2 a star less.

Other things cost is sometimes higher or lower. An engine I made to be $125 turns out to cost 126. However for the most part its consistent what you designed is what you get.

But it is your game, and a good one.... if this is what you intended then so be it predictable thing to work around though... just make your engine 25/45 rated engine rate 46 or 26 it'll keep it's stars Wink
(08-02-2016, 01:22 PM)Unavailableartist Wrote: Which is true, and it would be more understandable if it were random i.e. high skill (slightly better with slight variance), mid.. (about the same as expected), low (results are randomly lower than expected).
But then that would make it not random, as you'd always know that your estimates are undershot because your skill ratings are low or overshot because your skill ratings are high. On top of this your estimations would never be right. Even the most poorly skilled people can make a good estimation sometimes.

The randomness to estimated values works like this: The higher skill is the less variance of randomness from the real value. If you have low skill you could be anywhere between 20% off plus or minus. Including perfectly correct. If you have high skill you could be between 2% off plus or minus. Including perfectly correct. (Note percentage numbers are made up, I'm not going to go look at the code to see what they are exactly.)

Quote:However it's a consistent and predictable error 45 rated engine gives 2 1/2 stars in design panel and when the model is completed the same chassis/engine etc.. has the same rating just 1/2 a star less.
Stars have nothing to do with anything, they're just graphical representations of the rating numbers. Because some people hate numbers. So if that occurs (and I haven't checked it out yet) it's merely due to the conditional checks against the ratings to display the number of stars. The only thing that matters is the numbered rating.

Quote:Other things cost is sometimes higher or lower. An engine I made to be $125 turns out to cost 126. However for the most part its consistent what you designed is what you get.
Again, this is due to randomness variations of your estimations. You actually designed a $126 engine. Your skill rating however showed you it would be a $125 engine. As the prices of the engines go up, the difference should be more noticeable.
Quote: just make your engine 25/45 rated engine rate 46 or 26 it'll keep it's stars Wink

Again, stars have nothing to do with anything. If 45 give you 2 stars on one thing but 2.5 on the other, and if you have 46 rating and have 2.5 on both. Then it's simply because in one conditional statement to display stars I have ">" and the other I have ">="

Wink
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
I've made adjustments to the conditional checks for displaying stars for v1.20.2.
(08-04-2016, 03:44 PM)Eric.B Wrote: I've made adjustments to the conditional checks for displaying stars for v1.20.2.

Thanks... this helps my OCD greatly XD