Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
buying bankrupt companies
Couple of small things I have noticed:
1. when you decline to buy a bankrupt company, there is a news article generated in the newspaper that states "company abc absorbed by <blank>."
2. When you do buy a bankrupt company, you are getting its outstanding bonds as well, which makes the bankrupt company not worth buying most of the time. Not sure if this by design or not.
This is with 1.20 May 20th testing build.
1) Good catch, I'll ticket it.

2) Yes, this is as designed. Debts don't magically disappear you know. Design wise we have two choices, we can either keep bonds in the system OR we can force you to pay all the coupons upon purchase. The first is what happens more often in an Acquisition of a bankrupting company. It's not supposed to be a good deal, you're buying a defaulting company. Tongue
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
Not really a bug, but what happens if you decline to purchase a bankrupt company? Does it simply disappear or does it show up as either a "new" company or a marque of another company?
(05-24-2016, 12:58 PM)Holgin Wrote: Not really a bug, but what happens if you decline to purchase a bankrupt company? Does it simply disappear or does it show up as either a "new" company or a marque of another company?

Code wise, when an AI company goes bankrupt it has 3 paths. First path is complete liquidation, the company disappears. Second path is coming out of bankruptcy through financing, such as a bank or investment firm buying them. In this path the company still owns the company. The final path is looking for someone to buy them out.

In this final path we generate a discounted value for the company, pretty much like the acquisition system however everything is steeply discounted from book value. The player gets first pick, if he declines, the AI companies are then checked to see if any are in the position to purchase the company. If one is found, they buy it, if none are found the assets are liquidated.

In most cases another AI will buyout the bankrupt company, as the AI is (hopefully) geared to growing a small number of very large companies toward end game. To do that, eating the weak is helpful.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski