Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Cities
Hi, I tried to add a couple of towns by modifying the cities db files but unfortunately it didn't work. Do I have to modify something else or this something not possible to do? (e.g number of cities hardcoded. Making changes to existing cities works fine). Thank you...
Sorry for the late reply.

Currently to change the number of cities you would have to create a new map in 3d software such as 3d Studio Max or Blender then convert it to Ogre3D mesh and dotscene formats. Then you would need to create entries for them in the 1900cities, 1930cities,1950cities, and 1980cities .xml files...

In other words, they're currently very difficult to mod.

In v1.22 we will be creating a series of mod tools that will allow you to add cities to the game. We'll also implement a form of "map loading" which will allow to choose which map you want to play. So it's probably best to wait until v1.22 is out before attempting to make a map mod. (It'll be much easier to do then.)
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
Yes, waiting looks like the best thing to do since I wanted to add just a couple of new cities. Thank you for your quick response and for this very good game.
Just a quick question,
with the new tvr cars and nissan , honda having factories in wales uk
is there a chance that some welsh cities will make it into version 1.22 ?
(06-07-2016, 06:50 PM)shadow Wrote: Just a quick question,
with the new tvr cars and nissan , honda having factories in wales uk
is there a chance that some welsh cities will make it into version 1.22 ?

With the Official Dot City map. Probably not. We're going to reduce it down to about 200 or so cities.

In the Official Territory Map, No. UK will be UK.

In the "Clasic" Dot City Map. No, because it's already not there in the game! Wink

Finally, with the 1.22 mod tools. Yes! However I won't add it to the game. You can! You just need a longitude and a latitude. Population numbers and Per Capita for 1900, 1930, 1950, 1980, and 2020. Add a few "time based events" to it like WW2. And you're good to go. A city in wales will be in the game. Smile

(We also may make some scenario maps. Such as Europe Only. Or UK only. Etc. Some Wales cities may make their way into those maps. But it's too early to tell.)
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski