Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Induction Being Dependant on Fuel Type
Now, Ive been thinking about two strokes allot, notably the different induction methods used.

Now, at the moment, two Stroke is setup as an induction rather than a fuel type - meaning for four strokes we can choose the induction method but we cannot for two strokes.

But, what if we had the 'possibleinduction' flag (right word?) under the fuel type rather than under the layout type.

This would allow 2 stroke petrol/diesel to be setup as a fuel type, have their appropriate induction methods and be useful as a engine type for vehicles (saying that trucks and cars with two stroke engines were common enough upto 20-30 years ago, and ships still do use two strokes) without having to setup more engine layouts (Straight Two Stroke, Flat Two Stroke etc..) as what would currently need to be done now.
2-stroke is currently listed in valves not induction. The reason it's in valves is because how two stroke typically work (with a series of ports in the cylinder wall or crankcase.)

It's not a fuel type, because 2-stroke is a cycle process with ports instead of valves. Any type of fuel can used as 2-stroke.

Induction is classified as forced induction in the game such as turbos and superchargers.

I'm not sure what you're getting at, but you can already use 2-stroke with V-engines and Straights etc. There are limitations to layouts that can't use it such as electric. Also 2 stroke already works with gasoline and diesel as well any other fuel types except electric.

So I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish. Might be the incorrect wording.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
Yea, words getting mixed up and was a bit late - meant that applicable valve types (and induction?) should be dependent on the fuel type rather than the engine layout.

Two Stokes can use valves (ie, Uniflow Scavenging) but we also have some pretty interesting technology with two stroke engines like deflection pistons, separate lubrication systems, loop scavenging etc... That are contemporaries to SOCH, DOCH, OHV, Pushrod designs.

- at the moment two strokes have a heavy disadvantage in power compared to four stroke engines - you're lucky to get 1/2 the horse power for similar engines between two stroke and a T Head

- Realistically you get about the same Horse Power - DKW's 900cc engine in 1953 outputted 34 Horses compared to the Riley Elf in 1961 that had a 850cc engine that outputted the same 34 Horses

To get us to having useful two stokes we would need to have the separate forms of two stroke engines (ie, Uniflow, loop scavenging, Deflection Piston) which would be possible if valve type was set by the fuel type.

- I have attached example of what I mean (with everything apart from needed removed for easy reading)

Attached Files
.xml   example.xml (Size: 1.79 KB / Downloads: 626)
(01-30-2016, 06:04 PM)WolveNZ Wrote: Two Stokes can use valves (ie, Uniflow Scavenging) but we also have some pretty interesting technology with two stroke engines like deflection pistons, separate lubrication systems, loop scavenging etc... That are contemporaries to SOCH, DOCH, OHV, Pushrod designs.
While there are other types of 2-stroke engine designs as you mentioned, Why not implement them as valves as well? Since technically the difference between them all is different input/output valve types.

The reason why we only have 1 2-stroke valve type and not 5 or 6 is purely for simplification. And the fact that most 2-stroke engines designs were not used in vehicles.

Quote:- at the moment two strokes have a heavy disadvantage in power compared to four stroke engines - you're lucky to get 1/2 the horse power for similar engines between two stroke and a T Head
- Realistically you get about the same Horse Power - DKW's 900cc engine in 1953 outputted 34 Horses compared to the Riley Elf in 1961 that had a 850cc engine that outputted the same 34 Horses
Yes, 2-stroke currently has a power disadvantage due to the fact with the current game mechanisms would cause 2-strokes to be extremely overpowered otherwise. We don't have emissions or noise standards in the game. That being said, 4 stroke is more efficient in the upper HP range, and 2-Stroke on the lower. Sadly I can't just gimp 2-stroke in the upper end and leave the lower end fine. Nor could I leave 2-stroke at equal power rating as 4-stroke otherwise every engine in the game would be 2-stroke.

None the less, this is changeable in the valve settings. just bounce the power ratings up.

Quote:To get us to having useful two stokes we would need to have the separate forms of two stroke engines (ie, Uniflow, loop scavenging, Deflection Piston) which would be possible if valve type was set by the fuel type.
So added them to the valves? Uniflow is just 3 valves, 2 in the bottom exhaust at the top. You can use it with any type of fuel. 2-Stroke Autogas, 2-Stroke Natural Gas, 2-Stroke e85, 2-stroke blah blah blah. 2-Stroke isn't a fuel type. It's a cycle. Sure the cycle requires you to add oil to the fuel. But that doesn't change the fact that gasoline is gasoline.

By putting 2-stroke in valves, where it is, you 1) are technically correct since 4-stroke and 2-stroke engines have different port/valve systems. 2) Only have 3 or 4 selections for different 2 strokes engine designs rather than n*2 selections for fuel (around 16.) 3) You'd still have to implement the different 2-stroke valve systems anyway if you put different types of 2-stroke fuel. None of the 4-stroke valve systems such as OHV or DOHC would be in that selection...
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
(02-03-2016, 12:03 PM)Eric.B Wrote: We don't have emissions or noise standards in the game.

Will you ever or is that too much work?
(02-05-2016, 07:25 PM)Frankschtaldt Wrote:
(02-03-2016, 12:03 PM)Eric.B Wrote: We don't have emissions or noise standards in the game.

Will you ever or is that too much work?

If we ever make the expansion. That as of right now is maybe a 10% chance.