Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GearCity 1.20 Progress Thread!
One thing that has always annoyed me about 'Grand Strategy' games was when you build up your tiny country into a HUGE empire, you could never change your empire's name. In GearCity that's all changed.

I've added a Restructuring system which allows you to Rename the company, Change the logo, and Move your HQ to an HQ city of a Marque you own. Renaming and relogo'ing a company costs a flat fee. Moving your HQ costs a bit of money depending on the difference in tax rates.

Next I started working on merging systems. Originally I planned on implementing a Merger, a Consolidation, a Tender, and an LBO system. However most 'mergers' that happen are actually Acquisitions. This is where a company buys out another company. This already exists in the game. The other type of 'merger' , where a company is absorbed into another company at no costs rarely happens. I figured this would be a bit exploitable, so it was no implemented.

Tender mergers are where companies bypass the board of directors and buy 50%+1 shares of the company directly from the public. This already happens in the Acquisition system as well. So Tender mergers were nixed.

LBO mergers happen when a company goes into massive debt through bonds system to buy a company. Since the bonds system already exists, if you want to do an LBO, simply raise a lot of money with bonds, then Acquire the company. So LBO was not implemented as well.

That leaves Consolidation as the only type of merger left. A Consolidation is where two companies agree to merge into a brand new company. This actually happens quite frequently in the Auto industry. Off the top of my head, Chrysler merged with Daimler-Benz to create DaimlerChrysler AG, and Hudson Consolidation with Nash-Kelvinator to create AMC...

So what happens in the game? Companies that are not doing too well with agree to be consolidated with your company, and every once in a while, offer to be consolidated into your company. You will receive all the other company's assets, as well as their marque. However your company name will change to a new name. Everyone retains an equal number of shares in the new company. Which means your ownership of the company will be diluted. There is also a time limit for how often you can consolidate companies.

I've also did some micro-optimizations to the GUI loading speed, fixed a bug displaying in-development vehicles in the showroom.

Finally I have started rereading every forum post/email in 2016. The goal is to make sure I have everything ticketed into my track system so I can fix/implement your feedback. I've also started going through my notes and putting them into the ticketing system... Paperwork...

In any event, I'm about half way through this. Afterwards I'll do a play through for the 1.20 release, work on a few little bugs, launch the testing build. Fix a few more little bugs, then 1.20 will be ready for release! Smile

-Rename Company
-Change Company Logo
-Move company HQ
-Consolidate company
-Some GUI loading optimizations
-Fixed showroom showing in-development vehicles bug.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
For the last few days I have been working on little bugs and features that do not require save game changes. I will continue focusing on these things for the next few weeks. I will be releasing them as a series of Hotfixes (most likely weekly) to 1.20.

I've also finished reading through everything since the start of the year, and have made tickets. I still need to do some organization and ticketing some of my notes, but the roadmap is looking more and more ready for a finalized version of the game by v1.25.

Since 1.20 is not officially out (it's in testing build) I'll refrain from describing plans for 1.21. We'll save that for the 1.21 progress thread in a few days. Smile

In any event, I currently have about 40 of these minor bug tickets tickets. I started with the bigger, harder ones. They should go by quickly after I knock a few out. Here is what I've done so far:
-Stack Overflow fixes for GCC (Linux) (Possible fixes for VC and Clang.)
-AI now develops engines specifically for racing.
-AI now develops cars specifically for racing.
-Fixed company consolidation exploit.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
Finishing up the release for 1.20 to default build.
I've cleaned up a few bugs and minor features. I will continue doing this for the next couple of weeks. I've also included a few translation files. Not sure if these work or not, I tested each for a very basic game (start game, design 3 components, design a vehicle, build a branch, produce and sell vehicle.) If they didn't work and I couldn't do a basic thing to get them working they were not included in the 1.20 update. You can still download them from the website however.

This marks the end of 1.20. Please follow and subscribe to the 1.21 thread here: http://www.ventdev.com/forums/showthread...48#pid7648 for further updates to the game.

-Adjustments to stock pricing
-Adjustments to market cap
-Adjustments to acquisition pricing
-Tweaked historical effect on stock markets (may need a little more adjusting with the new system.)
-Fixed 2 bugs that can cause a stock to show up as $0 with only 1 share.
-Renamed "New Model Year" to "New Generation" to avoid confusion.
-Auto production will not longer build in factories that are at war.
-Auto production now randomly spreads out production to at most 3 factories per adjustment. (Thus reducing shipping costs for global companies.)
-Reworked design pace slider's effect and costs. Thus fixing a number of bugs. And nurfing slow pace.
-Brought design pace into line with more realistic engineering times.
-Fixed Racing Competition always showing 2 years bug.
-Fixed bug in Mega Menu that changes cities when jumping between marketing to branch.
-Fixed bug in Mega Menu that did not automatically set a branch's shipping distance when selecting unsold vehicle models.
-Fixed bug in GearCity XMLPO converter that causes translations po to lose their translations.
-Updated all translation to 1.20
-Basic testing of some translation and included them in the 1.20 update.