Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shipping Done at Factory
Instead of shipping range set at each branch, wouldnt it make more sense to do shipping range at the factories?

Ive just started a new playthrough based in Europe, starting with a factory in Berlin and branches in central Europe.

Then, I expanded into France, starting with a branch and factory in Paris.

Now, the problems I am having:

- Setting shipping range on some W.German cities to only receive vehicles from Berlin is very tricky. The Range to Paris and Berlin is very close and almost impossible to get one and not the other using the slider.

- Having to set the shipping range of half a dozen branches is very finicky and time consuming.

Now, both of these problems should be easy to solve with the 'district shipping' feature - having central Europe as a separate custom district.. But for whatever reason, it doesn't work most of the time - might be user error.

Now, most of this clunky-finicky confusion would be solved if the shipping range was from the factory, rather than to the branch - Having a range slider so we can have local factories making cars for local only and international factories making cars shipped worldwide - without using Districts.
(Then, also possibly having a list of branches as an alternative, so we could just tick cites instead of setting a range)
(12-03-2015, 03:40 AM)WolveNZ Wrote: Instead of shipping range set at each branch, wouldnt it make more sense to do shipping range at the factories?
Shipping used to be done at the factory level, however due to overwhelming demand, it was moved to the branch level: http://steamcommunity.com/app/285110/dis...594131756/

Quote:- Setting shipping range on some W.German cities to only receive vehicles from Berlin is very tricky. The Range to Paris and Berlin is very close and almost impossible to get one and not the other using the slider.
Use the district lock system and lock the factory/vehicles in W.Germany to W. Germany District. They will then not pull any vehicles from Paris.

Quote:- Having to set the shipping range of half a dozen branches is very finicky and time consuming.
Again, district system will be your friend here.

Quote:Now, both of these problems should be easy to solve with the 'district shipping' feature - having central Europe as a separate custom district.. But for whatever reason, it doesn't work most of the time - might be user error.
Anything to add to this? Because it works fine for me.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
I just did a quick test, pretty much the same setup. Factory in Paris, Factory in Western Germany.
Custom District for Western Europe, Custom District for Central Europe.
District->Branch->Shipping Distances, set each district to their district. Works fine.

Make a new vehicle, add it to branches in the district and it does not inherit the district shipping. You have to manually set it by clicking the checkbox then selecting the district in the distribution screen. I believe this was by design as it's difficult to tell the user they have branch level set.

In any case, outside of that, i just ran through every feature of the districting system as it relates to shipping and haven't had any issues in this game that was submitted to me.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
Might it of been because I was setting shipping via district in the global view, Then setting the price in the office controller (branches menu, Central Euro district selected) - where the 'apply' button was overriding the shipping distance? (With 0, preventing branches from receiving cars to sell)
(12-03-2015, 02:35 PM)WolveNZ Wrote: Might it of been because I was setting shipping via district in the global view, Then setting the price in the office controller (branches menu, Central Euro district selected) - where the 'apply' button was overriding the shipping distance? (With 0, preventing branches from receiving cars to sell)

I'll double check in the game later tonight. When you're in the Mega Menu in the office and you select a vehicle (with Central Euro selected) is the district shipping check box checked and Central Euro is "selected" in the second drop down box? If not, then you are correct, you probably overrode the shipping distance.

I don't have the save game I tested on this morning, I will take a look at it again and make sure this is the case (and not a bug of some sort) in a couple of hours.
Just tried it again, setting up shipping and prices all from the Global view - everything's working fine.

Must of been me trying to do half the job in the Global View (Shipping) and then setting the prices in the office mega manager.

I do notice we need reports for 'X Vehicle sales by District', 'Sales by District' and the type.
Well you should still be able to set prices in the Mega Manager... If there is a district lock, then shipping should only be overwrite-able through the districting system on the globe. (Check the district lock on the right hand side, it should say the name of the locked district or multiple. If nothing is there, then there is no district lock and it'll be using the shipping distance.)