Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Part Categories
It would be pretty cool to have some kind of organization system to the parts in the RND menu, sort of like folders that keeps things together. For example, if I created an engine for a pickup truck, I can put that into its own folder with the other pickup truck engines, and the same with the other parts for different vehicles.

At the moment my naming system is a mess, all of my part names look something like "1.PTC1" for my pickup chassis, or "2.2.8LI4" for my engines, so the 1. means its a pickup truck part, and a 2. means it's whatever else I was building.
Sadly due to limitations in our GUI system, there isn't really any way for us to do file trees or anything with folders. I could possibly create some sort of filter system. Allowing you to for example view all V engines or all front wheel drive chassis. Etc. Maybe even create a field which will allow a custom keyword for the filters.

In the meantime you should improve your naming system. Use 2-letter designator. PT for pickup truck for example. Smile Then you won't forget stuff. For engines I suggest how the old companies used to do it. LayoutCylinder HP version. So: I4-22hp-mk2
V6-150hp-mk1
etc.

Transmissions, Auto/Manual generation speed overdrive
So: A150 = First Generation Automatic 5 speed with no overdrive.
M341 = Third generation manual 4 speed with overdrive.

Just some advice.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
I try out a bunch of different naming systems, the one I'm on right now is what you suggested, something like PTC-HD1 for my "heavy duty" pickup chassis, PTE.5.7LV8 for a 5.7L V8 pickup truck engine. I noticed when I buy out a company, the AI uses that system with the HP, etc, but when you upgrade the engine in the RND menu, that makes the HP irrelevant because you can't change the name.

That filter system would be very helpful, that would be awesome. That way I can stick to using V engines in my pickups and SUVs and whatnot, and inlines in smaller cars. Or maybe have a way to organize them with a button at the top. Like in windows how you can organize folders by name, date, size, etc, you can click one of those buttons and organize it by engine type, size, etc.
Sadly we can't do the button up top (multi-column list boxes) other wise they would already be implemented that way.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
(12-02-2015, 04:24 PM)Eric.B Wrote: Sadly due to limitations in our GUI system, there isn't really any way for us to do file trees or anything with folders. I could possibly create some sort of filter system. Allowing you to for example view all V engines or all front wheel drive chassis. Etc. Maybe even create a field which will allow a custom keyword for the filters.

In the meantime you should improve your naming system. Use 2-letter designator. PT for pickup truck for example. Smile Then you won't forget stuff. For engines I suggest how the old companies used to do it. LayoutCylinder HP version. So: I4-22hp-mk2
V6-150hp-mk1
etc.

Transmissions, Auto/Manual generation speed overdrive
So: A150 = First Generation Automatic 5 speed with no overdrive.
M341 = Third generation manual 4 speed with overdrive.

Just some advice.

This naming convention definitely helps, filtering by body type, engine, chassis, and gearbox would help a lot with players who use components in more than one vehicle. It's nice that you list it on the side. Is the filter system you're talking about the one that is near the top middle-right of the screen that has a text box that says 'not implemented yet?" Are you having issues with that or is that still planned for a later update?
(12-04-2015, 01:30 PM)Waffles Wrote: This naming convention definitely helps, filtering by body type, engine, chassis, and gearbox would help a lot with players who use components in more than one vehicle. It's nice that you list it on the side. Is the filter system you're talking about the one that is near the top middle-right of the screen that has a text box that says 'not implemented yet?" Are you having issues with that or is that still planned for a later update?

The drop down in the view panel is for sorting by name, year, ratings, etc. I believe these were implemented in 1.18.7 or 1.19, you'll have to check the progress thread to know exactly when.

I believe what Thor446 is asking for is a filtering system much like in the licensing system, but for selecting components while designing vehicles, not when looking up past components in the view system.