Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Random thought about companies and badges
I know that it is not something that can be inserted into the game at this point, but I had a thought concerning the difference between a company and a marque or badge. Right now the game kind of treats them the same where in reality they are two separate concepts. For example, General Motors is more a company that does not sell models under the GM name, but rather under the different badges (Cadillac, Chevrolet, etc.). In my mind it makes more sense to split the two and have each have different functions - the company for the stock and business related aspects and the actual badge as what goes on the car and what measures the prestige. This way you might have a company with several badges where each badge has its own ratings for racing/performance, luxury, etc. I know the game is fairly developed at this point and I really do not expect this to happen, but it is something that might be considered if a GearCity2 is ever made.
Just my 2 cents on a Friday afternoon... :cool:
Pure automotive holding companies that don't make vehicles under their name are fairly rare. GM is about the only one I can think of off the top of my head. I might be able to work in a variable for a company not to use it's name as the brand name if it owns other companies. But depending how things go over the next few months it might not make it in. XML files are set to be finalized at the end of 1.22 after i release the mod tools and mod system.

(v1.20 will allow you to rename your company though. So you could play as a holding company if you wish. Wink)
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
GM does make vehicles under its own name (or at least, re-badged).

http://www.gmc.com/?evar25=gmcom_global_gmc

And have been for a long time, mostly in pickup trucks and the sort.
Well GMC isn't the same badge as GM per say. The C stands for commercial, just as they used to make trains under GMD (General Motors Diesel) in the 30s. So GMC is a marque of GM. (Interesting note, I used to drive one nearly every day at work back when GC was started!)

So in short, GMC is a division of GM. In fact the actual registered business name is GMC Division of General Motors LLC. Interesting read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GMC_%28aut...29#History

GM it self was founded as a holding company specifically buying up failed or failing auto companies in the 1910s/1920s. The GM badge it self, (the blue one) isn't used as the main badge of any vehicle they make. As far as I know anyway.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski