Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows 10
I updated one of my machines to Windows 10 and found that I had to run GearCity as an administrator in order for it to work on that machine.
I just wanted to post something in case anyone else ran into the same issue.
That's odd, are you running it via Steam, Stand-Alone with Steam, or the Open Beta?

The Open Beta would should require admin rights because it writes data to it's own folder. In the past (before Early Access) the Open Beta wrote data to where you're supposed save stuff on modern windows. However Steam works much better/easier if the data is kept in the game folder. (Also makes it easier to cross platform the code.)

However running it through Steam, the game should inherit Steam's privileges. (You're supposed to run Steam in Admin Mode.) If not it sounds like a bug in Win10 or Steam.

That being said, how does it run? What video card do you have? I have had some people with DirectX issues in Win10. 1.18.6 has some updates to our renderer that will hopefully improve the situation, but I have no reliable way to test it.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
I'm running the game through Steam, and it was a Steam issue rather than a GearCity issue.
It is all good now - apparently when I updated to Windows 10 it took away admin permissions from everything, including Steam.
The game is running fine for me so far, but I haven't had much time to do much with it. This machine has an AMD Radeon HD 5450 video card.