Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GearCity 1.19 Progress Thread
Since we'll be launching 1.18.4 as an update to everyone, I have started a new thread to continue 1.19 progress reports.

Between 1.18.4 and 1.19 should be lots of little features and fixes. Check out the roadmaps for details!

1.19 Change Log
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
+Added Help Boxes to Light/Accessory Controls in RND and Resized GUI
+Reversed Manufacturing Requirement star in RnD View.
+Autosaves are now specific to save games. (Autosave_filename)
+Fixed bug in bore/stroke when switching engine layout.
+Fixed crash bugs when loading save games with different languages
+Expanded on unable to load game errors.
+Changed Automatic naming of Components.
+Changed Vehicle/Project naming system. No more cars named "Grandma Pants"
+Some accessories, parts, and tires can now be painted.
+Accessories and vehicle are automatically painted when created
+Accessory painting now works on mirrored accessories.
+5000 new vehicle names that have been vetted. (More may come in the future.)
+Added 218 new paints
+8 Shades of glass
+50 something leathers, plastics, and fabrics paints.
+3 different types of metal paints.
+Changed paint display layout system.
+Fixed bug that had $0 sales price displayed when viewing competition. (This was pushed as a hotfix in 1.18.4)
+Improved/adjusted demographics code and effect on vehicle sales.
+Selecting a demographic now adjust the importance sliders when designing a vehicle in advance mode.
+Selecting a demographic now boosts or decreases certain vehicle ratings as your designers cater more to the selected demo.
+Added a new development pace slider system to vehicle and components.
+Fixed Blank Vehicle Marque bug (Should fix other bugs as well)
+Fixed clone vehicle demographic's bug
+Adjusted engine ratings decline rates
+Fixed overlapping buttons when you click Tires & Accessories after placing an accessory.
+Adjusted lighting in RnD.
+Added in 3 more shadow types. If you wish to use the newer, better looking shadows, adjust them in the settings.
+Modify Engine now effects smoothness.
+Gearbox smoothness/useability is now displayed in Assisted and Advance.
+Modify Gearbox now effects smoothness and useability.
+Fixed tire and body parts selection bug that allowed for selection of parts not in view.
+Internally components have been broken up into their own tables. This should improve performance somewhat.
+Drivetrain layouts now effect max support engine size.
+Fixed incorrect vehicle type winning awards bug.
+Adjusted branch build costs
+Adjusted design pace's effects on RnD time, budget, and maximum number of employees (This still needs tweaking.)
+Reduced starting funds as things are now cheaper in early years. (This may still need tweaking.)
+Fixed bug with missing marque when switching to advance designer from assisted designer.
+Fixed new model year/new trim exploit bug.
+Removed Trim/Model year bonuses if design reqs of new vehicle exceed 15 rating points.
+Crash in paint tutorial
+Crash when mirroring some front and rear bumpers
+OpenGL missing paints.
+GUI Tweaks: Added Version News window title, fixed New Game year offset, Radiobox size increased, Bigger Checkboxes.
+Load game window size increased, removed horizontal scroll
+Save games are now sorted by last save date.
+Settings text offsets fixed, combo boxes now scroll
+Removed all empty spaces in GUI sheets, textboxes will no longer have 1 blank space in them on default.
+Fixed bug in scroll bars that caused weird behaviors when clicking the scroll buttons.
+Clicking anywhere on the scroll bar will automatically scroll to that percentage on the bar.
+Hitting Escape on any open window with a title bar will close that window and focus the next window with a title bar. If no windows are open, the Menu will open or the program will exit.
+New Game City Selection GUI Tweaks: Top bar moved to bottom, Help Button resized, City Name has bigger font, added $ and commas where needed, bigger star ratings, bigger select button, Player Logos now scrollable, Limit Player Name and Company Name to 32 characters.
+Added an End Turn State GUI.
+End Turn Progress.
+End Turn Did You Know System.
+Office GUI Tweaks, Removed Tips, Enlarged Buttons, Removed horizontal scroll from lists that don't need it. Added up and down buttons to End Turn amounts. Sales book and other "titlebar-less" windows are now moveable.
+Disabled Windows window resizing by dragging or hitting maximize button.
+Implemented tab support for textboxes.
+Standardized upper panel buttons for all "States"
+Implemented Racing Filters so you can easily find series.
+Vehicle and Engine selection in Racing now shows detailed information about selected item.
+GUI Tweaks for Racing "State" of the game.
+Borderless window option.
+Disabled close button in windows
+Updated Ogre3d, Freetype, Freeimage, zzip, zlib
+IPO confirmation message.
+RnD loading times reduced.
+Fixed material ID's on bumpers so they're paintable.
+Fixed failure to load saved cars when using a different language.
+Fixed new model default leather and metal material.
+Fixed showroom paint loading
+Fixed repeat new technology memo
+Fixed saved cars materials, made it work with multiple materials.
+Vehicle Type lists in RnD are in alphabetical order.
+Can stop multiple sim turns by holding down space bar.
+Hotkeys
+Standalone Car Designer updated GUI.
+Resizeable Windows
+Save Resized GUI
+Load Resized GUI
+Expanded DYK
+New salesbook backend.
+Fixed Sales Book incorrect figures bug.
+Fixed Auto-production bug which uses unfinished factories.
+Tweaked Scroll Bar buttons movement values.
+Fixed a number of direct input factory production bugs in World Map and Mega Menu.
+Made direct input much more accurate. It should set sliders to exactly what you type in!
+Accessories are now assigned an Auto-mirror and Auto-paint values in the components.xml file. (This means you'll have to manually enable/disable auto-mirror for select components types.)
+OSX Hardware mouse finished.
+Player company is on top of list in magazines
+Fixed old car save loading crash
+Production/Distribution lists should now reselect previous item after applying changes.
+Fixed bug in mega menu which allowed you to assign vehicle sales in districts which you have no branches.
+All brands comparison added to magazine
+Fixed bug in production/distribution filters which did not reset entering back into game state.
+Merge Trims for Distribution screens. (Will not be implementing this for production screens)
+Implemented Filters for Districting Production and Distribution.
+Implemented Sort by for RnD view
+Fixed Possible crash returning to office from world map.
+Fixed bug in chassis modification that didn't update old stats when selecting a different chassis
+Adjusted some default sorting of lists.
+Enter key will "click" OK, or Select or any single button on a window. (May eventually add an image to buttons which can be selected with "Enter" key.)
+Sound implemented in OSX
+Successful defect coverups will result in a memo
+District Factory Production window now warns if any cities are at war.
+Did You Know messages can be brought up when you enter the office (enable the check box at the end turn window in the office.)
+Same did you know will stay open if you simulate multiple turns.
+Adjusted Branch Distribution 'Unit Manufacturing Costs' and 'Corporate and Unit Cost per Unit' prices. They no longer include break even on reserved vehicles.
+Fixed crash when setting district locks when the drop down boxes are empty.
+Fixed some crash issues in Linux build. (Some libs were not properly updated)
-Fullscreen OSX
-World Map Help Buttons
-Fixed Component Name Duplication Bugs
-Fixed engine contracting panel overlaps on world map
-500-1000% speed improvement on RnD sliders (no more lag when moving the sliders around)
-New Contract Assignment window in World Map and Mega Menu.
-Modified Component Refit System
-Fixed Game Over text offset bug
-Remember last paint in Stand Alone Car Designer
-Hovering over stars when designing a component or vehicle in RnD will now show the rating in a popup.
-Fixed "Advanced" image in RnD (Grammarians rejoice! Smile )
-Fixed Textbox height clipping in some places.
-Added a return to Main Menu button in the side panel of Stand Alone Car Designer.
-Added Message about canceling in title bar of "OK" windows.
-Targeted Demographics added to view vehicle panels.
-Added Help buttons to the Refit and new contracting windows in RnD and World Map respectively.
-Fixed offset table alignments
-Fixed Large font over laps throughout the game.
-Adjusted prestige reports text results. (Duplicate scores will now have the same text rating.)
-Quick Save Pops up a confirmation that the file was saved (will switch to feedback system in 1.21)
-Quick Save As now tells you what file you were saving to. GUI redesigned slightly.
-Name lengths have been shortened. Company names now have a maximum of 20 characters, Model names 20 Characters, and Trims 6 characters.
-Fixed bug in factory wear production indication system.
-Fixed bug in "unoptimized" factory lines after you recondition factories.
-Factory Production side panel now shows "Last Month's Estimated Lost Sales" this is the number of vehicles you could have sold if you produced enough.
-Total Project Profits added to distribution side panel. This is the amount of profits or loss the selected vehicle has generated for your company.
-Fixed bug in Factory View Panel which would reset if you emptied production lines.
-End Production added to Mega Menu Auto Commands.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
Started working on 1.18.5 a couple of days ago. 1.18.5 will focus mainly on RnD Changes that were pushed out of 1.18 build due to time issues.

The main thing I did the last few days is changing the naming system. Chassis, engines, and gearboxes now use a different naming system (Typically a model number, couple specs, etc) The car and project naming system is in the process of being redesigned. I have removed many of the words in our model name list. I'll be adding quite a few more over the coming days. This should improve the naming of things inside the game.... Little less humor, bit more seriousness.

-Added Help Boxes to Light/Accessory Controls in RND and Resized GUI
-Reversed Manufacturing Requirement star in RnD View.
-Autosaves are now specific to save games. (Autosave_filename)
-Fixed bug in bore/stroke when switching engine layout.
-Fixed crash bugs when loading save games with different languages
-Expanded on unable to load game errors.
-Changed Automatic naming of Components.
-Changed Vehicle/Project naming system. No more cars named "Grandma Pants"
-5000 new vehicle names that have been vetted. (More may come in the future.)
-Added 218 new paints
-8 Shades of glass
-50 something leathers, plastics, and fabrics paints.
-3 different types of metal paints.
-Changed paint display layout system.
-Fixed bug that had $0 sales price displayed when viewing competition. (This was pushed as a hotfix in 1.18.4)
-Improved/adjusted demographics code and effect on vehicle sales.
-Selecting a demographic now adjust the importance sliders when designing a vehicle in advance mode.
-Selecting a demographic now boosts or decreases certain vehicle ratings as your designers cater more to the selected demo.
-Added a new development pace slider system to vehicle and components.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
-Some accessories, parts, and tires can now be painted.
-Accessories and vehicle are automatically painted when created
-Accessory painting now works on mirrored accessories.

Currently I'm in the process of creating more paints and changing the system in which they're displayed and used. Word count for new model names is now up to 3000.
Been a while since I updated, I was out of the office for a few days as it is/was a holiday weekend here in the states. I actually did some work during this time as well, just had unstable internet which resulted in my not updating progress (Or logging into my ticketing system due to insecurity.)

Anyhoo:

-Finished changing the vehicle naming system, 5000 new names that have been vetted. (More may come in the future.)
-Added 218 new paints
-8 Shades of glass
-50 something leathers, plastics, and fabrics paints.
-3 different types of metal paints.
-Changed paint display layout system.
-Fixed bug that had $0 sales price displayed when viewing competition. (This was pushed as a hotfix in 1.18.4)
-Improved/adjusted demographics code and effect on vehicle sales.
-Selecting a demographic now adjust the importance sliders when designing a vehicle in advance mode. This allows you to better tell what you need to do to please the demographic.
-Selecting a demographic now boosts or decreases certain vehicle ratings as your designers cater more to the selected demo.
-Added a new development pace slider system to vehicle and components. This new system allows you to speed up designs for extra costs, or slow down design process (thus taking more time) for reduced costs.

I've been looking at balancing the new development pace system. The goal is to increase costs over all in later years (to bring it more inline with modern development costs.) As well increase development time in later years. At the same time allowing for niche market bouquet cars to be made at lower costs. This is specially important for supercar, luxury cars, and early game years. (This will allow me to lower starting game funds down to a more realistic amount!)

Progress reports may be slow for the next few days. But should pick back up in the middle of the month.
-Fixed Blank Vehicle Marque bug (Should fix other bugs as well)
-Fixed clone vehicle demographic's bug
-Adjusted engine ratings decline rates
-Fixed overlapping buttons when you click Tires & Accessories after placing an accessory.
-Adjusted lighting in RnD.
-Added in 3 more shadow types. If you wish to use the newer, better looking shadows, adjust them in the settings.
-Modify Engine now effects smoothness.
-Gearbox smoothness/useability is now displayed in Assisted and Advance.
-Modify Gearbox now effects smoothness and useability.
-Fixed tire and body parts selection bug that allowed for selection of parts not in view.
-Internally components have been broken up into their own tables. This should improve performance somewhat.
-Drivetrain layouts now effect max support engine size.
Been a while since I updated this post, sorry about that. However don't fret! I've continued working on the game nearly every day last month (except for the days I was driving.) I've finally returned to the office from visiting distant (in both terms of relation and physical distance) relatives. This did slow down progress slightly in September, but mostly because I could not do "final" builds of 1.18.5 until I returned. Thus I prolonged my efforts in balancing 1.18.5's new features and did prepping for 1.18.6! There is probably still more work needed to be done with the new design pace system. But I think it'll come in handy! Smile

In anycase optimized compiles of 1.18.5 are being built now.

Since my last update:
-Fixed incorrect vehicle type winning awards bug.
-Adjusted branch build costs
-Adjusted design pace's effects on RnD time, budget, and maximum number of employees (This still needs tweaking.)
-Reduced starting funds as things are now cheaper in early years. (This may still need tweaking.)
-Fixed bug with missing marque when switching to advance designer from assisted designer.
-Fixed new model year/new trim exploit bug.
-Removed Trim/Model year bonuses if design reqs of new vehicle exceed 15 rating points.

(There are a few more minor bug fixes that I didn't document fixing. Being on a laptop with no internet for a few days makes unorganized people like myself even more unorganized...)
Issues resolved in the hotfixes:
-Crash in paint tutorial
-Crash when mirroring some front and rear bumpers
-OpenGL missing paints.

1.18.6 stuff:
-GUI Tweaks: Added Version News window title, fixed New Game year offset, Radiobox size increased, Bigger Checkboxes.
-Load game window size increased, removed horizontal scroll
-Save games are now sorted by last save date.
-Settings text offsets fixed, combo boxes now scroll
-Removed all empty spaces in GUI sheets, textboxes will no longer have 1 blank space in them on default.

Currently working on the GUI bug that causes a mouse down and a click to be fired thus causing the scrolls to move too much when you use the scroll buttons.
-Fixed bug in scroll bars that caused weird behaviors when clicking the scroll buttons.
-Clicking anywhere on the scroll bar will automatically scroll to that percentage on the bar.
-Hitting Escape on any open window with a title bar will close that window and focus the next window with a title bar. If no windows are open, the Menu will open or the program will exit.
-New Game City Selection GUI Tweaks: Top bar moved to bottom, Help Button resized, City Name has bigger font, added $ and commas where needed, bigger star ratings, bigger select button, Player Logos now scrollable, Limit Player Name and Company Name to 32 characters.

Tomorrow (well technically right now) is Monday. I have started a new thing called "Mac Monday" in which I will only work on the Mac port of the game on Mondays until it is ready to be shipped as Early Access. For everyone not using a Mac, don't worry, Mondays (and Sundays) are typically very slow days for me and I sadly don't get to do much programming. So it shouldn't harm progress on the core game.
MacMonday-
Updated the Mac port to 1.18.5
Changed @rpaths to @executable_path in the hopes this fixes loading issues on older versions of OSX. I'm in the process of getting access to an OSX 1.7 machine to test it out on.

Core Game:
I've added an End Turn Calculation Progress GUI system. Now when you end the turn you will not have to wait around staring at the office wondering if it's doing anything. Instead you'll be staring at a progress bar (Currently just a percentage counter) that tells you how far it is in the turn calculations. In addition to this, since I know the turn times can get quite long (I still have some optimizations to do!) I've added a "Did You Know" system. This will replace the current Tips system in the office. The DYK stuff can handle a paragraph or two of text and currently I'm filling it up with historical information on real companies. In the future I may open it up for anyone to submit DYKs.

-Added an End Turn State GUI.
-End Turn Progress.
-End Turn Did You Know System.