Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[FIXED]Important Comments on Research and Development and New Game Advanced Menu
Well after playing 1.18 for sometime I am very happy in the direction the game is going and am truly thankful for such a detailed sophisticated game. I had some comments and ideas.

I had some ideas of things that could be added to the new game advanced menu. One thing would be a custom starting design skill option from the start. I cannot wait to have the custom start year as an option as well!

If one had design skill that was off the charts could one therefore build a car from what would be theoretically the far future or is there a max setting to r&d?

I have found that DOHC arrives before the OHV I head in the early years of the game that would be in error in terms of history. In the last years of the game at least one components is not available the superlegga frame.

One thing I wanted to mention was the suggestion not to eliminate the 2 cycle engine. I understand that it may not be the most popular format but it does come in handy when making small or unique engines.

Another idea I had was the “Locking” of exterior engine dimensions to fit into a certain size and then altering the bore and stroke for maximum displacement.

I also miss the detailed city and highway fuel mileage specs. I would like to keep the combined but providing more info would be great.

Now here is the big question: What happened to turbine engines? I was wondering if turbines would ever show up in the game; after all Chrysler spent a lot of money trying to put one in production.

Thanks again for the game it really has made a lot of childhood dreams come true I play it everyday.
Eric you are the man with the plan; what do you think of my ideas?
(07-06-2015, 01:58 PM)JPK Wrote: One thing would be a custom starting design skill option from the start.
Already a planned feature.

Quote:If one had design skill that was off the charts could one therefore build a car from what would be theoretically the far future or is there a max setting to r&d?
Even with a maxed design skill, you are still limited by the earliest year components appear.

Quote:I have found that DOHC arrives before the OHV I head in the early years of the game that would be in error in terms of history.

Patent #1,744,526 for OHV was awarded on January 21, 1930. DOHC was available in the early 1900s, with the 1912 Peugeot using them: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peugeot#Early

So it is correct, DOHC is older than OHV.

Quote:In the last years of the game at least one components is not available the superlegga frame.
Is this due to year or design skills?

Quote:One thing I wanted to mention was the suggestion not to eliminate the 2 cycle engine. I understand that it may not be the most popular format but it does come in handy when making small or unique engines.
2 Cycle engines still exist in the game. You'll find the option under valve trains since almost all 2-stroke engines have roughly the same valvetrain concept.

Quote:Another idea I had was the “Locking” of exterior engine dimensions to fit into a certain size and then altering the bore and stroke for maximum displacement.
I doubt this will happen. However the "Will it fit" tools are helpful in making sure you always design the maximum size engine if that is what you're goal is.

Quote:I also miss the detailed city and highway fuel mileage specs. I would like to keep the combined but providing more info would be great.

Sadly the detailed fuel consumption is gone. The GUI is too cramped, by combining I save an extra row of space.

Quote:Now here is the big question: What happened to turbine engines? I was wondering if turbines would ever show up in the game; after all Chrysler spent a lot of money trying to put one in production.
I haven't made one for the game. But it is only one line of XML if anyone wants to add it.

Quote:Thanks again for the game it really has made a lot of childhood dreams come true I play it everyday.

Quite welcome, I'm glad you're enjoying it.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
The 1876 Otto patent engine was really OHV. It was a sliding valve though so I can understand some confusion but here is some information on Buick's invention of the OHV.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/...-birthday/

http://www.buickheritagealliance.org/con...ticle1.pdf

Documents in the patent file indicate that paper work for the application had been started by Eugene C. Richard and his attorneys as early as November 29, 1901.

Here is OHV in the 1900s
http://www.american-automobiles.com/Marm...-1908.html

I had the superlegga then it disappeared I think it was in 2004 or 2007 and the r&d was at least 60.9.

Just as a curiosity I know the v16 is available in 1906 or so but as many items appear before the year arrives in the r&d screen I was wondering what level of r&d would be necessary for a v16 in 1900? I believe it is over 65 but I like to know.

Thank you again!
(07-07-2015, 10:48 PM)JPK Wrote: Just as a curiosity I know the v16 is available in 1906 or so but as many items appear before the year arrives in the r&d screen I was wondering what level of r&d would be necessary for a v16 in 1900? I believe it is over 65 but I like to know.

Thank you again!

Check the components.xml file located in Media/Scripts/ folder. This file will have all the data for the components, as well you can change the starting years and skill ratings needed for them to appear. Smile
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
I've made some adjustments to the skill levels, as well as the rate of decline for skills. This should improve the situtation.
I've also reduced the years for OHV, however I increased the skill requirements, thus making it come around roughly 1920 for most people.

(In the future we'll allow for custom starting skill levels.)