Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The AI should have more diverse strategies
In my current game I'm now in 1924, I've worldwide market share of above 40%, and all time marketshare of 35%. I build hyper luxery vehicles that cost between 4000 and 7000 to build and I sell between 12000 and 24000, I only sell a few hundred of every vehicle each but they are good for 75% of my 75 million revenue a month. Than I sell vehicles that costs between 500 and 1000 to produce under the AGS brand, they sell insane number, but I only make a few hundred on each model.

Besides one or two companies all of the AI companies lose money. They all seem to make luxery sedans that cost more to make than my AGS ones, but are worse or at most just slightly better. None of the AI companies sell any competitors in terms of quality for my main brand, so every one who can afford those buys them.

I think the AI should have a more diverse strategy. There should at least be a few companies who should try to compete on quality instead of price. Also, their engines are much more expensive than the ones I put in my AGS vehicles, but they perform less and are heavier.

I really like this game, but it would be even more fun if the AI would offer some challenge, with at least a few companies that tried something different than selling an affordable car for the middle class. Since I figured out the AI doesn't build for the wealthy the game is too easy.
I've check the XML files and it seems the AI companies do have different design preferences set there. I guess the problem is they still all prefer high volume over high margins, that's why Marlin Aston makes sport that cost 555 to produce. It's a shame, because I tried and it's perfectly possible to run a profitable company selling only a few cars at very high margins if your cars are good enough.
The AI still has a lot of tweaking to go through. The current vehicle system is only a few months old and have not been refined to work with well with new vehicle model system implemented in 1.18. Once all the gameplay features are set, I'll spend a lot more time making the AI better.

So yes, It's a known issue, and a neglected one so I don't have to duplicate the effort when I start changing huge chunks of code like I have done the last 3 builds! Smile
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
(06-22-2015, 03:44 PM)Eric.B Wrote: The AI still has a lot of tweaking to go through. The current vehicle system is only a few months old and have not been refined to work with well with new vehicle model system implemented in 1.18. Once all the gameplay features are set, I'll spend a lot more time making the AI better.

So yes, It's a known issue, and a neglected one so I don't have to duplicate the effort when I start changing huge chunks of code like I have done the last 3 builds! Smile
Commendable commitment, mate! Loving it Smile
I just stepped in, but I'm quite impressed by the work you've done so far. It's very reminiscent of Detroit, didn't know of Motor City until I've read about it on the Automation forum, but I do like the cities better than the regions, especially if you can combine them into your own districts as you're apparently planning.

I found your game actually when I went to look for the abondonware of Motor City when I started getting bored of not being able to sell my creations in Automation. In a way actually kind of like the higher level of abstraction in this game, as it gives much more freedom in some regards, plus you have the tycoon part working. It would only be more fun if the game would stay challenging after you got rich ;-)

Anyway, I don't expect this to be fixed in the next update. But I do hope at some point to see some AI creations that actually impress me. Currently I really like the game, if but it has so much more potential, I would love to see it come to fruition.