Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Placement of 2 stroke
Hi everyone,
I probably found a little bug in engine design
Two stroke system is not in a "select fuel" but in a "select valvetrain"
For me it quite doesn't make any sens. Sorry if i didn't noticed that it was intended.

Greetings from Silesia
Actually 2 stroke is neither fuel or a valve train. It's a cycle system.

2-Stroke engines complete a power cycle in 2 strokes. Right after the end of the combustion stroke the compression stroke happens.

This means a 2-stroke engine does not operate valves. Instead it has a series of ports. Which are blocked or are open based on the position of the cylinder. This is why we put 2-stroke in the valvetrain lists.

2-Stroke fuel can actually be made of anything. It doesn't have to be gasoline. It could be diesel, natural gas, etc. The main thing is, whatever fuel is used should have some sort of lubricant. As such this is why when we implemented the valvetrain system to engines, we moved 2-stroke from fuel to valvetrain. It's a much better fit there than fuel.

Greetings from Gilchrist. Smile
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
I know what does 2-Stroke mean; ] But now seems to me that we can create 4 stroke (fuel tab) 2 stroke (Valvetrain) engine. It's a bit confusing.( at least for me Wink )
Wasn't it be better if you add tab for strokes?
Like (fuel)-diesel, gasoline, gas ect.
(Strokes)-2 or 4
(Valvetreins)-DOHC,SOCH ect.
There should be no more mention of 4 stroke anywhere in the game. Disregard the component images as they are just place holders from past versions of the game until we redo them.

All valvetrains listed are used on 4 stroke engines except for 2-stroke "valvetrain" and the empty selections that you get when you select layouts such as electric.

So no, you can't create a 4 stroke with a 2 stroke valve train. In the fuel section you are selecting the fuel type only. Gasoline, Diesel, Autogas, etc. In the valvetrain you are selecting the valvetrain for a 4 stroke engine, unless you choose the 2stroke valvetrain, aka port holes.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
in the current ui I agree that valve train is the best place for 2 stroke. I really don't think it's important enough to have a whole news dropdown.

This is a little bit off topic but there are a few different types of 6 stroke engine which have been around for almost as long as the 4 stroke. I don't think they've ever been put in a car but at least some of them were planned for that application. Worth including in the game?
Ooooh, nice find Frank. I would like that stuff in game. Seems to be quite the difference between the different types, but in general lower fuel consumption (and sometimes less soot?), higher complexity (but not always higher cost) and most likely some extra weight due to a steam/water tank. Seems like Eric would need to do some research unless he already knows a lot about this type of engines. He's barely got anything to occupy his time, so that shouldn't be aproblem.