Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Manufacturing skill?
Hello! Thanks for the great game btw, just bought it couple days ago ^^.
I'm playing version 17 atm and while going through the book I saw manufacturing skill and it was like 2 or 3 or something. What does it mean and is it important? Currently ingame I have 2 of the top selling cars in NA so I think my people know how to manufacture cars Tongue
Thank you for your patronage! I'm glad you're enjoying the game.

Manufacturing skills is probably not labeled correctly by me. It is the skill you have at manufacturing large quantities of vehicles. So if you're not running your factories at or near full capacity you will not gain the skill. Conversely if you have empty factories, this skill will decrease.

I believe the skill effects manufacturing output. It is used primarily when comparing against manufacturing requirements of a vehicle and when designing or redesigning factories. When I get around to fixing up this code again, I will probably strengthen its effects more.

Hope that answers your questions. Let me know if you have anymore! Smile
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
Huh thanks, feels a bit weird though that its so low considering i've been making so many cars though I might have checked it after ww2 (mostly idling).

Got couple more questions though!

1. Anyway to change km/l to how many liters per 100km?

2. How does the modify part work? Like modify engine 10% for 10mil etc.
Tried to press it but nothing happened :/
Not using factories during WW2 for war time production may have caused it.

1) Not yet, but a planned feature in the future.

2) 1.17 it is quite buggy. The upcoming 1.17.8 patch to our "Testing Branch" branch has a completely new system for this. If you remain on the "Default Branch" you'll see these changes in 1.18
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
Thanks! Yeah, i'm trying to use the 1.17.5 in anticipation of 1.17.8 but it feels so hard and different compared to 1.17 Tongue
Manufacturing in labor skills section along with administration doesn't make any sense. I'm making almost 100k cars a month (1970) and it's still only 4 (does it even matter anywhere?). Oh and what do the admin skills and marketing skills do and if they're useful then how do I raise them?

Loving the new GUI, playing 1.17.8!
I went ahead and looked into the code since I can't do anywork while compiling the 1.17.8 hotfix. This stuff is slated to be rewritten.

I was incorrect in my previous statement. As of 1.17.8 this is how manufacturing skills work:
We get your current skills.
We get the quality/quantity amounts of all your production lines, multiplied by moral, multiplied by the number of lines you are using. All divided by a number.

That is then checked against your current skill level multiplied by 1.1.
If that is your current skills are lower you gain 0.25 skills points.
If it is high then you lose 0.1 skill points.

Again, this is slated to be rewritten as we have a number of errors in the image system.

As for what it does:
It effects the maximum number of production lines when building a factory. It alters the maximum amount of vehicles that can be produced at said factory. These values are only used when designing a new factory.

Admin skills reduce you administration expenses. Marking skills increases your marketing efficiency ratings. Which will improve your sales against competition.
Thanks! Love your quick answers and hotfixes Tongue. Going to play some more ->
Looking at this thread, and how manufacturing efficiency is linked to this skill, it all makes sense.
However, one thing I wonder is; what about if we go to the opposite end of the spectrum? It would seem in how you describe it that the only way to increase this would be to set a production line to 'quantity'.

However, for some cars, as I'm sure you know, it pays to keep them as limited 'quality' runs.

Does Manufacturing skill build based on the number of cars made per factory (thus, encouraging Quantity runs), or is it based off of the number of lines being utilized per factory?

Thus, the question is, to maintain manufacturing skill, is it better to run 5 lines at max Quantity, and push out 500 cars a month (100 cars/line), or is it equally valid to run 5 lines at 50 cars a month (10 cars/line), and you keep gaining manufacturing skill provided all 5 lines are utilized? Does manufacturing skill scale off of the percentage of the factory utilized, or off of the number of vehicles that come out the door?
Again sorry for the late reply. Pushed back long answers until I got the hot patch #2 stuff taken care of.

(04-02-2015, 11:45 AM)Geredis Wrote: Does Manufacturing skill build based on the number of cars made per factory (thus, encouraging Quantity runs), or is it based off of the number of lines being utilized per factory?
Both actually. The amount of lines you use in a factory would negate losses due to running full quantity. Where as quality run negates under use of a factory. Running both quality runs and a full factory would increase your skills the most. But this would be expensive, as the more lines you use the higher your factory costs are.

Quote:Thus, the question is, to maintain manufacturing skill, is it better to run 5 lines at max Quantity, and push out 500 cars a month (100 cars/line), or is it equally valid to run 5 lines at 50 cars a month (10 cars/line), and you keep gaining manufacturing skill provided all 5 lines are utilized? Does manufacturing skill scale off of the percentage of the factory utilized, or off of the number of vehicles that come out the door?

For this situation you would be able to raise the skill the most by the second one, 5 lines 50 vehicles. This is because you are using the same number of factory lines but also building quality cars. Both situations will increase skills at the same rate. But the first one has a lower cap.

The factory portion works on the % of lines used in your company as a whole, the quality portion works off the quality/quantity sliders.