Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turbos
So, I've had some ideas for adjusting turbo's.
I thought I'd put them in a post.

The issues as I see them:
1 - Turbo's still aren't powerful enough - As I've shown in previous threads, most force induction engines gain well over 30% power and torque over their N/A cousins where as the best I've seen in 1.17.1 is about 36% power gain and 34% torque. Most end up well under 30% even for stage 4.
2 - They're way to expensive and way too cheap at the same time - The real cost of a turbo installation is in the R&D involved in making it work well with the engine not the actual installation it self. In the current build a stage 4 turbo will more than double the cost of an engine (compared to an NA with the same settings) while development costs will only go up 1-2%.
3 - Their behaviour isn't quite right - Turbo's in Gear City have always increased RPM. Turbo's in real life never increase RPM. At absolute best they have no effect on RPM, at worst they can reduce it significantly.
4 - The current options are a bit of a mess - I realise they may not be complete but the current options have a weird mix of abstract and really specific induction options.

So, my proposal is as follows:

Firstly, delete all the specific forced induction options (twin turbo, quad turbo etc etc)
Their should be four focuses for forced induction (note I'm not calling them turbos, the point here it to cover all forced induction options in an abstract and sensible system):
1 - Forced Induction - Fuel economy
2 - Forced Induction - Torque
3 - Forced Induction - Power
4 - Forced Induction - Balanced

Each of these should have 4 stages as the current power and economy one do.

They should all effect torque gain, peak RPM, torque accessible at peak RPM, fuel economy differently.

My suggestions are as follows:
Fuel -Torque - Peak RPM - Torque at peak RPM - Fuel economy
Stage 1 +20% -5% -5% +15%
Stage 2 +30% -5% -5% +20%
Stage 3 +40% -5% -5% +25%
Stage 4 +50% -5% -5% +30%

Torque
Stage 1 +35% -7.5% -7.5% +1%
Stage 2 +45% -7.5% -7.5% +2%
Stage 3 +55% -7.5% -7.5% +3%
Stage 4 +65% -7.5% -7.5% +4%

Power
Stage 1 +35% -1% -1% -2.5%
Stage 2 +45% -1% -1% -5%
Stage 3 +55% -1% -1% -7.5%
Stage 4 +65% -1% -1% -10%

Balanced
Stage 1 +25% -2.5% -2.5% +2.5%
Stage 2 +35% -2.5% -2.5% +5%
Stage 3 +45% -2.5% -2.5% +7.5%
Stage 4 +55% -2.5% -2.5% +10%

The current effect on cost to manufacture should be halved while the effect on cost to research the engine should be increased ten fold.

Looking at the component file and the stats available to a turbo I'm assuming doing something like this will require changing some of the back end equations so I assume it's not likely to happen in 1.18 (or possibly ever) but this is my third biggest peev about the game (after the volume slider that you're fixing and the length and width slider effect on bore and stroke) so I have to try.

Ick, formatting didn't work at all there! Hopefully it makes sense still!
I should be able to tweak the values for 1.18, but I don't think I'll do 16 types of turbos or remove all the existing ones (Some may be on the chopping block however.)

For one, in the new component selection GUI, it would be a nightmare to find them all.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
I've tweaked the values, I'll leave this thread open if you still have any issues with the new values in 1.18.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
Sweet, look forward to trying it out!
So feedback? Suggestions? Better? Worse?
Better. But still need some fine tuning.
The unit cost still seems too high and the research cost not high enough.

They don't give extra revs any more which is good but they don't really loose enough either. Most of the designs I played with lost between 3-6 RPM where as most real life examples I can find loose hundreds if not thousands, especially in more economy focused designs.

The gains for the power focused turbo's seems about right though power (not torque) could be dialed back a little.
The power gains for fuel efficient turbos seems right too but the torque gain for them is way short of the mark.
Both of these come back to them not loosing enough peek RPM I think.

This is actually where my other suggestion about giving all options all stats. I think a lot of the turbo's problems would be fixed by them getting the RPM stat.