Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crash when trying to lad a save, all the time
Hi,

I experience crash to the destop every time im trying to load a save.
I cannot post log, since there is no VENT under my documents, win 7.
Please advise as it is a game breaking bug.
(01-24-2015, 11:35 AM)xzrt5v Wrote: Hi,

You're most likely using non-ascii characters in the savegame file names.
To fix this issue:
Right click the game in Steam.
Select Properties
Select the Local Files tab.
Then click the Browse Local Files button.
Open the GearCity folder,
Open the SaveGame folder
Rename any games that do not have standard a-Z characters.
If you load those games, please use the saveas function and rename then so they do no resave with non-standard ascii characters.

If this works let me know, if not we'll go from there
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
(01-24-2015, 03:00 PM)Eric.B Wrote:
(01-24-2015, 11:35 AM)xzrt5v Wrote: Hi,

Rename any games that do not have standard a-Z characters.
If you load those games, please use the saveas function and rename then so they do no resave with non-standard ascii characters.

If this works let me know, if not we'll go from there

Hi Eric,

Thank you very much, there was one save with non english characters, I have deleted the one and its working perfectly! Thank you for replying so fast, and thanks for making the game.

I was looking for a car tycoon game, I love tycoon games (I also have my own company), so I have bought gear city and automation as well. However automation looks better and have better GUI, gearcity is actually playable and on a good track. I would recommend to make it more interactive, meaning that when designing engine, gearbox etc. it would be great to actually see a schematic draw of the component and clicking on the components differents parts would enable to change settings (along with the menu system). Also It would be a great idea to be able to choose the cathegory of the vehicle type (i.e. hatchback, sedan) when designing it from strach. Also shaping the body is a bit awkward with all of the menus, it would be very helpful if we could see all of the stats changing when designing the body like wheelbase, weight, cargo capacity etc.

Please dont take this as mouring, Im just trying to be helpful and I appreciate the hard work you put into this project. You are absolutely right that there is a nieche for good quailty, more sophisticated, more complex tycoon games wihich are seems to be rare nowadays.
(01-24-2015, 05:58 PM)xzrt5v Wrote: However automation looks better and have better GUI, gearcity is actually playable and on a good track.
Unfortunately Automation has two to three times the personal and ten times the budget. In no way will we ever be able to match against graphically with GearCity.

That being said, don't look at us as straight-forward competition. While we do have the same subject material (running a car company) we're going about it a totally different way. Our game is much more focused on management in a realistic economic simulation where as theirs (afaik) will be more tycoonish.

Quote:I would recommend to make it more interactive, meaning that when designing engine, gearbox etc. it would be great to actually see a schematic draw of the component and clicking on the components differents parts would enable to change settings (along with the menu system).
We are going to replace the current blue print drawings with some new data. However there won't be any new artwork for the section. If anything there will be less artwork in favor of more data and suggestions. I point to the above for the reason why we don't have any engine artwork or gearbox artwork and what have you.

Quote:Also It would be a great idea to be able to choose the cathegory of the vehicle type (i.e. hatchback, sedan) when designing it from strach.
I assume you're still talking about engines/gearboxes? We are planning on allowing you to select a vehicle type while designing the components and will give you feedback on how to make the designs better for this specific vehicle type.

Quote: Also shaping the body is a bit awkward with all of the menus, it would be very helpful if we could see all of the stats changing when designing the body like wheelbase, weight, cargo capacity etc.
We are planning on adding Specs and Ratings to the designer screen. It'll be pulled up by clicking a button on the screen.

Quote:Please dont take this as mouring, Im just trying to be helpful and I appreciate the hard work you put into this project. You are absolutely right that there is a nieche for good quailty, more sophisticated, more complex tycoon games wihich are seems to be rare nowadays.
No worries, thank you for the feedback and comments. I'm glad you're enjoying the game, and don't worry, we have some good improvements coming down the pike for the RnD part of the game.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski