Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
VENT Luxury AAR
As per request, I made an AAR for a Luxury car company starting in 1900 on Hard.
Also I attempted not to game the game. Took a few tries to become profitable, but I managed to do it. First few tries I HQ'd in Jacksonville, USA. This resulted in failure. The game that worked was my 6th attempt! Here's the breakdown:
  • Started Company in Baltimore
  • Closed Baltimore Branch
  • IPO'd company, sold off 45% of the shares I retained, and took out a 500k loan. Thus leaving me with $2.1 million in cash.
  • Designed Chassis, engine, and gearbox
  • Allowed designs to be licensed.
  • Designed Luxury Sedan: Divine
  • Opened branches in Philadelphia and New York.
  • Bounced Prices between 1700-2200
  • Over produced 100 units. Cut production completely.
  • With 900k in cash remaining, and 28 months left on my loan, I pay it off early to avoid interest.
  • Sold low volume units (3-8 per month) while more competition enters the market.
  • Licensed chassis revenues out pace vehicle sales.
  • Profits for a few months, Chassis revenues fall, new engine revenues open up.
  • Look to develop engine for Indian Army and Korean Airforce. Unable to meet specifications for both at the same time. I don't approve project.
  • 12/1902 Engine, Chassis and Vehicle revenues increase. Profitable month! Vehicle reserves down to 39.
  • 1903 sees increase competition in the Luxury market. Playing on hard is not helping me compete against the AI...
  • Started a new chassis design using modern technologies. While the C-2 is low end because it is using ladder frames instead of Horse Carriages, it should perform just as well if not better than our C-1 (which was middle-upper end)
  • New 440k loan taken out. The plan is to develop new chassis and a new luxury sedan to dilute the market and hopefully push some of my competition out of business.
  • C-2 set for licensing. New Trim of Divine started.
  • 1904 Global Reserves of Divine run out, start both Divine and Divine L production.
  • Sales are steady, although I am still bleeding 10k a turn. Buy 1500 shares of Eisenwerk. 273k left in cash.
  • Built up a big supply of Divines, cut production and will sell through the remaining models before ending production.
  • Rising incomes and good management brings me to making 20k a turn by 1905...
  • Divine is still selling decent enough to attempt another production run for 1906.
  • 12/1905 Chassis and Engine revenues dry up completely. Heavy 22k loss for the month.
  • High development costs brings back some Chassis and Engine Revenues. However I do really need to design a new engine, but can not due to the poor economy, rising prices, and low cash reserves I have.
  • 1907 rolls around, still with the same two models, and remaining flat as far as revenues, I really need to make a new engine and vehicle.
  • I am able to secure 197k loan, but at an extra 1% interest rate, I design a new Straight 3 1L motor. It's not much better than my original Straight 2, but meh, it's 1907! Wink
  • New engine design up for licenses.
  • Started production of the latest Divine model. Cut production of the 1900 Divine, so I can sell through reserves by the time the 1907 Divine comes out.
  • 1907 Divine launched, less than 85k In cash.
  • 1907 Divine does extremely well, 400% gain in stock price in less than a year.
  • Cash buy back of our stocks, buy back 99% of the company, 16k in cash left.
  • Sold off shares of Esienwerk, net loss 70k (should of sold it when I was up 30k!)
  • 2/1908 Divine L get a price cut. New Chassis, Engine, and Gearbox are put into development. (All better than average designs)
  • Over spent in RnD, sold off some shares of my company, allowed licensing for all new components.
  • Built up cash reserves
  • 1910 start development of new Divine L
  • My plan on diluting the market of Luxury Sedans worked. Going from 4 companies in New York to just 2. Assuming it stays like this I should limit my self to 1 model to prevent competition with my self. Time to move into other segments, after 1910 Divine L is finished I will work on a limo.
  • Company is now in the red, 1910 Divine L ready for launch. Sold off 17% more of the company to fund 1910 Divine L launch.
  • 1903 Divine L production ended.
  • 2/1911 expanding into Chicago
  • Building up reserves of the Divine L
  • 1/1912, time for me to pause for a bit.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
Charts

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
Sweet AAR, any way you can screen cap your best car's review?
(11-01-2014, 03:19 PM)Rad Wrote: Sweet AAR, any way you can screen cap your best car's review?

No, magazine system is in the process of being rewrote.
Wow, I didn't know, how much is it being redone? Is the whole thing being redone or are you just readjusting the system?
I'd say about 60% of it will be rewritten.
(11-01-2014, 03:57 PM)Eric.B Wrote: I'd say about 60% of it will be rewritten.

Thanks! Good luck with your game. I can't wait to see the limousine you come up with!
Oh how I wish this AAR continued, learning a lot from it! Smile
The way I do it:
- Start in Amsterdam (because I live there)
- Develop an chassis as comfy as possible that will still develop in for months
- Develop an single cylinder engine and 1 gear gearbox
- Develop a crappy luxury sedan that will finish by November, produce 1 line full quantity of it for on month, sell in London for slightly more than the factory sale price.
- Develop a good straight 6 engine and a good gearbox with 4 gears, that also finish by then.
- New Model year, change engine and gear box and develop a very high end luxury sedan focussed on upper class or wealthy, it will be done in February and cost around 2000 to produce
- Sell in London for around 8000, you will only sell 5 to 10 per month, but with 6000 profit per vehicle and selling your stock of previous model you'll fluctuate between break even and 30k profit per month
- Save that money up until you can develop ladder chassis, than repeat the process.
- Expand into other vehicle types. Make them slightly more luxurious, dependable and drivable than recommended for that type, this will do wonders for your prestige. I managed to get the best prestige in all categories wile selling phaetons and micro cars this way.
- Have a blast getting the most profitable car company in the world while selling only a few dozen of each vehicle type.