Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GearCity 1.17 Progress
1.16.1 has been released.

Tonight I'm going to mess with po files (for translations.)
Tomorrow I'll do a full playthrough of the game, finish fixing up clipping issues I find with larger fonts and update/upload the Linux build to Steam. Sunday/Monday I will play test the Linux build from Steam. Tuesday I start working on the contracting system! Smile
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
I've been feeling under the weather the last few days. (I shouldn't of opened a branch in Liberia!) So I'm about a day behind as I spent most of yesterday asleep...

Anyhoo:
-Fixed a number of clipping issues with large font GUI
-Ported 1.16.1 to Linux, created a depot, will upload the game tonight!
-Fixed Marketing Report bug
-Fixed Factory Resize Information/Blocker

For the rest of the day I'll fiddle around with minor bugs and GUI clipping issues in Linux. Tonight when I get into my Office I can upload the Linux build to steam. Perhaps even get our OpenBeta into Steam Demos...

I'm still on schedule to start Contracting code Tuesday! Smile
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
We have started contracting code!

This has been broken down into multiple stages:
1) Create Basic GUI Framework for Request/Bidding
2) Create DB backend for requests/bids/implements
2a) Components.xml restriction for vehicle types
3) Create Military contract requests.
3a) War Time Vehicle/Engine
3b) Non-war Time
4) Create civilian contract requests.
5) View Requests
6) Submit Bid
7) AI Submit Bid
8) Contract selection
9) Process request time limits/failure penalties etc
10) View Contract's data in sales book.

As of right now we're halfway done with 3a, Wartime Contracting. When your country goes to war, it will seek out more than normal contracts for military equipment. These contracts are restricted to the nation requesting goods.

Available vehicle types for military, fleets, and civilians are now marked in the components.xml file. This will allow modders to add in things like tanks for militaries, but prevent their sale to civilians and visa versa (Doubt the Army would want a fleet of microcars!)

In other news, the Linux build has been uploaded to Steam and so far, so good! I have to change the fonts as they don't play nicely. But other than that I think we're good for a Linux launch this month!

I've also knocked out a crashing bug caused by text input, fixed a few minor text errors when generating memos.

-Fixed Crash with Text Inputs
-Contracting DB entries
-Contracting Bid GUI
-War Time Military Contract Request
Ooooh, very exciting!
I'm assuming there'll only be vehicle contracting (for now?) and not component (engine) contracting?

Great progress anyway!
I believe the intention is there to be both.
Yeah, I believe Eric mentioned that at some point. Just curious if it would be implemented now or maybe come in at a later time. I'm not sure how that would work with the way production is currently handled as there is no way to produce engines by themselves (only developing them and "selecting" them like with certain racing series would be a bit boring IMO and not represent wartime production conditions properly). There would have to be a new mechanic for that. Not sure if that's on Eric's agenda.
This sounds bloody cool biggrin
(10-15-2014, 11:15 PM)freeman2344 Wrote: I'm assuming there'll only be vehicle contracting (for now?) and not component (engine) contracting?

Great progress anyway!

Nope, there is both vehicles (Defined by flags in components.xml) and engines.

Right now I'm supporting aero engines, tanks engines, and naval engines. All of which have different design characteristics. Airplane engines for example tend to be very large, but also very light for their size. This reduces HP output as well...

(10-16-2014, 02:46 AM)freeman2344 Wrote: Yeah, I believe Eric mentioned that at some point. Just curious if it would be implemented now or maybe come in at a later time. I'm not sure how that would work with the way production is currently handled as there is no way to produce engines by themselves (only developing them and "selecting" them like with certain racing series would be a bit boring IMO and not represent wartime production conditions properly). There would have to be a new mechanic for that. Not sure if that's on Eric's agenda.
You won't actually be producing the engines, so nothing changes in that respect. It's mainly focused on developing for the contract then submitting a bid. Hopefully I can generate enough requests to keep the user engaged. Wink

If I were to add engine production to the game, I would have to add it to all the game. As well as chassis and gearboxes. In the early days (around 0.33) I experimented with this, and found it very cumbersome with our limited GUI lib. Maybe with the expansion (or very very much later) I can add it in as a advance toggle. Although I can see it being a pain in the ass to design and manage.

That being said, when I implement the action memos, if you do not have a vehicle contract, you will probably be given a design to produce. Much like Willys and Ford producing the Willys MB. And REO, Kaiser, AM General, Kia, and Bombardier building M35's...

Since we can now exclusively add military equipment in the components file, I think we can open the door to even complete single engine airplanes (Although airplanes will never be "official" because GUI would have to be redone), tank destroyers, tanks, deuce and a half, apcs, rocket trucks, etc! (Although things like armament would be disregarded.) Of course this is something we're not planning on doing unless we make an expansion. But the format is open for the modding community. Hopefully it'll be done before I get to it when I make the easy modding tools, mod loading, and mod sharing stuff! Smile

(10-16-2014, 05:31 AM)Tridon Wrote: This sounds bloody cool biggrin

Hopefully the end results meet that standard! Wink
I figured as much, Eric. Still sounds spectacular though!
Any release ETA?