Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AI Design Tendencies
Hi,

just some thoughts and minor nitpicking on AI design tendencies...
In the current state of the game, the AI often design engines that we would nowdays consider strange or pointless. Now, don't get me wrong here, I'm all for 'what-if' scenarios and some 'oddities' in the early years as would be historic, but seeing the AI design some weird U-shaped configuration with 500ccs for what is then sold as a sports car is kind of a turn-off. So, how does the AI currently select what type of engine they design? And how does it select what the engine should be like? This currently seems rather random to me.

Maybe it would be possible to implement an option to configure AI behavior via the .xml files - I'm always in favor of more modding options Wink. But I realize that this may take a lot of time and effort on your end, so I understand if that's not a possibility.

Also, I personally think that a system in which the AI selects its engines and possibly other components from a prefab list might be preferable to a semi-randomized system as it currently exists. Sure, programming and AI-wise this is surely a step backward - but maybe it would provide a better end result after all?

To elaborate further: I would envision a system where a list of pre-made engines (meaning that their values for displacement and the other parameters were pre-entered into a template) is opened to the AI depending on current year and possibly other factors (such as AI research proficiency) and the AI then selects an engine based on a) company 'culture' (the general outline of the company, like Porsche would never put a 1L Inline-3 into a 911), b) car type (fuel efficient engine for an econobox) and finally c) cost considerations. There could also be multiple different engines designed for the same purpose with slight differences (just for variety) selected randomly or based on probabilities. This engine would then be randomized slightly, displacement and such +/- 10 percent, to prevent two companies from putting out cars with exactly the same engines.

This would still provide 'variety' as it exists today - but make everything much more 'realistic'. If that's not what you're going for, that's fine, just thought I'd get this off my chest to see what you thought about it. If something like this would be possible - and if people liked it - I'm sure there'd be enough volunteers to provide a ton of different template engines, so that would surely save you some work.

Taking this idea a step further - this list could maybe also be opened to players selecting the 'simple design' or 'assisted design' option, making this step even faster and easier - just like you're planning to put a bunch of prefab bodies into the game, because some don't enjoy designing them.
Didn't you already bring this up? http://www.ventdev.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=1750
I know I've talked about it 4 or 5 times in the last 2 months. And I've mentioned the following more than once. Tongue

All components will be getting a popularity index, which will effect both the consumer and AI decisions. These will be dynamic just as they are with vehicle types. This will cause consumers to choose things like 4-stroke engines over 2-strokes more often. And also prevent the AI from making silly things. Since the popularity indexes can be influenced, it means you could change the course of history, say forcing electric cars to be popular long before their time. (Even though I have disabled electric cars for the time being)

Prefab lists won't work well since there is MUCH that plays into the variables and statistics of an engine. No two engines on such a list would be the same.

Anyhoo AI's designs will not be getting touched until 1.18 when I rework some of the parts of the RnD system.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski