Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
GearCity 1.16 Progress
Tested the Linux port on Ubuntu 14.04 64bit, while there are still some minor issues the game is functional. I will be releasing an Open Beta build of it in a few days. Hopefully we won't have any issues.

Now I start brain storming and drawing up plans for the racing redesign! Smile
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
(09-08-2014, 11:36 PM)Eric.B Wrote: Now I start brain storming and drawing up plans for the racing redesign! Smile

Be sure to keep us posted!
I've mapped out 15 key points to making a better racing system. I won't go over all of them, but I will tell you what I take care of as I take care of it.

Yesterday morning, and this morning, (Took last night off to watch the new TMNT movie, It sucked, but I digress) I added in a minimum budget requirement for racing and added a budget locking. I also added a Team Overview window which will serve as the bases for what I work on tonight. For the next few hours I'll tar up the Linux Open Beta build, and upload it to the server tonight! Smile

-Minimum Racing budget
-Racing Budget lock
-Team Overview System
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
So racing series will now be broken down into three more categories. 1) Where manufacturers have direct involvement with the race team. Such as F1 2) Manufacturers have involvement in many teams, such as IndyCar or Nascar. And finally 3) Manufacturer slaps a sticker on custom made stuff or just sales cars/engines.

So that means we've added more windows and more sliders to racing!
If you're in a racing series that has team involvement. You can adjust:
-Driver Quality Focus
-Crew Quality Focus
-Develop or Win Focus

If you're in a series where there are many teams you can:
-Focus on team growth
-Focus on smaller teams or larger teams
-Develop or Win Focus

For the last one the system remains the same.

I haven't written these variables into the results yet, however it's not just going to be a simple "max the slider out" as hiring better drivers will take more money away from your funds, leaving you with an under funded crew and car. The inverse can also be true.

The Linux Open Beta has been uploaded to my server, currently we're doing some localized testing with a few other programmers I know to make sure I iron out any kinks before allowing you guys to test it! Smile
-Fixed a bug which causes no AI to be loaded when selecting "Random 50" or "Random 100" AIs...
-Added Marque selection to Racing.

1.15.4 patch is coming out probably Tuesday. There will be changes to the save game so please finish up your 1.15.3 games, or disable auto-updating in steam.
Spent most of the morning adjusting the racing results numbers. Still have probably this evening and tomorrow to get it just right. And I need to work in two more additional variables into the mix as well make the AI more attune to it.

I also reduced the factory wear amounts by approximately 80%.

Tomorrow I will launch Linux OpenBeta live, I'm not sure how well it'll work, as I haven't been able to find many people to test it despite most of the people I know online using Linux >.> Just can't give away games free these days...
Last few days I've:
-Tweaked Racing Result numbers.
-Applied some patch fixes to DDS codec.
-Launched Linux OpenBeta and gathered feedback.

That being said, I'm starting to be pleased from the racing results, so I believe 1.15.4 is ready for release. I'll package it up first thing in the morning and ship it out to default branch. (My morning that is.)

The next patch after 1.15.4 will be our 1.16 release. There is only 7 more things left on my to-do list for racing and I will probably clean up a few suggestions along the way. Smile
The 1.15.4 patch has been released!

I'll now start working on racing effects on your image and skill points. Then I'll adjust racing budgets and add more series!!!

Throw me some feedback on racing results and what have you if ya'll could, please. I did 2 days of testing and tweaking on it. But there is only so much testing I can do. :\
This morning I tweaked the Image and Skills system.
-Image ratings effected only by components/vehicles of a marque
-Tweaked rating numbers for racing
-Submarques now process their own marque information.

Tonight I'll adjust the image reports since I'm already in the same code. This should fix some of the ambiguities that have been occurring due to it.
So yesterday and this morning I have:
Adjusted image ratings for racing more.
-Redesigned Prestige and Labor Skill reports.
-Added 29 additional racing series.

I've got just a little more tweaking to racing to be done, I'll switch to adjusting costs once I finish that. I will continue to add racing series during the evening probably until 1.16 is ready (There are a lot of racing series...)