Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[FIXED]A different way to do bore/stroke
I get the feeling that the current system of having a volume slider as well as bore and stroke sliders seems to cause some issues. It seems to be quite a common place for bugs to show up.
I have two suggestions to simplify it a bit.
1) do away with the volume slider and just have bore and stroke
2) do away with bore and stroke sliders and have a volume slider with a new over/under square slider.
I'm not sure if I want to do away with the displacement slider, as it's meant to be an easy way for plays to adjust bore/stroke without having to know anything about bore and stroke.

Although that is a better option than your second option. As I've gotten quite fond of the bore and stroke slider.

So I would like other people's opinion on removing Displacement Slider.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
I mostly use bore and stroke when adjusting the volume (I like to use "volume" to make engine enthusiasts twitch) of the engine. If the volume slider should change it should change from a slider and over to a text field where one could specify the exact ammount. I must say that the slider bugs that was in 1.14.9 was very annoying when making engines, but that I guess is heavily dependant on style of play. I haven't had time to test 1.15 yet to see if the bug is still there. *weeps a little*

No, of course I'm not posting this while at work. That would be naughty.
Have you made a decision on how to handle this?
I remember you mentioning at some point about considering changing over to a system where we can enter in specific bore and stroke but I couldn't find anything in the road map.
We'll be hiding the displacement slider (Except for engines like wankles where we'll hide bore and stroke), and allowing you to directly input bore/stroke in the summary screen.

Both of those are in the roadmap. Tongue
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
Sweet!
Wankels still have their own equivalent of bored and stroke. They would be rotor width (analogous with bore) and rotor diameter (analogous with stroke).

(01-27-2015, 02:16 PM)Frankschtaldt Wrote: Sweet!
Wankels still have their own equivalent of bored and stroke. They would be rotor width (analogous with bore) and rotor diameter (analogous with stroke).

Having said that.... they have a third variable too (rotary shape) which is probably too difficult to quantify so you've probably made the right call on only having a displacement slider!

Having said that.... they have a third variable too (rotary shape) which is probably too difficult to quantify so you've probably made the right call on only having a displacement slider!

The problem is the principles are all different than all the other engine types. Thus the formulas would need to be entirely different. It'd be a bit too much work without much reward to write specific wankel only engine code. So it's better to either hide that information or not have them in the game at all.
After my first post I realized I agreed with you, hence my second post.
Having said that, be prepared to explain your decision to rotary fans. I reckon they'll get the grumps up about not having that stuff included.
Direct bore/stroke can now be entered.