Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Model Simplification
I get the idea behind having so many different models to chose from. However, it does complicate the game. Currently the ability to manage a large amount of models is pretty tough because the screens aren't big enough and its hard to deal with that much information in its current format. I would propose rolling the following into the same models:

Microvan, Compact Van & Full Size Van into "Van"

Microcar, Subcompact & Compact into "Compact Car"

Coupe & Coupe 2+2 into "Coupe"

Fastback & Sports into "Sports"

Roadster & Roadster 2+2 into "Roadster"

Coupe Utility - Delete Entirely

Compact SUV & SUV into "SUV"

Landaulet, Town Car & Limo into "Limo"

Full Sized Sedan & Luxury Sedan into "Luxury Sedan"

Or another option would be to give the player a choice at game start as to which model list they play with, the expanded one or the simplified one.
Watch me play Gear City!

Root Negative Gaming on YouTube
See I think the sheer amount of model choices gives excellent quality in depth.
It is also more realistic , as there are so many different car models in thr real world.
(07-20-2014, 07:39 AM)shadow Wrote: See I think the sheer amount of model choices gives excellent quality in depth.
It is also more realistic , as there are so many different car models in thr real world.

I'm with you on that one. But there should be an option to decrease the complexity. Having so many options makes the game harder to play in its existing form because of the difficulties involved in controlling a large number of models.
Watch me play Gear City!

Root Negative Gaming on YouTube
An option to decrease stuff like that might be good for some players. I very much like the plethora of body types currently available Smile
There will probably be no official simplification of models anytime soon. However everything in this regard is completely modable. It wouldn't take much effort for you to edit the Components.xml file to create a simplified mod.

After I create the Mod Loading system, and after a while has passed I may make a simplified version of the game as a loadable mod. But in the meantime you're on your own in this respect! Smile
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
So, I was about to write a big post about how the current body types don't make a lot of sense with suggestions for a better scheme but then I found this thread.
Is your answer a blanket "no, there will be no change to the current body style list" or is it a "there will be no simplification but other changes could be possible if they make sense and aren't too much work"?
Depends, what is it that you want changed?
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
A system whereby most body types have a descriptor of both size and shape.
For example, you currently have the hatch body type and the compact body type. Most hatches are compact and most compacts are hatches but there are hatches that are not compact and there are compact cars that are not hatches. So, there should be compact hatches and subcompact hatches and maybe even medium hatches (can't think of any real world examples off the top of my head so maybe not). There should also be compact sedans and compact coupes and compact shooting brakes as well as mediums of all of these and even full size of most of them.

In most (not all) cases in the game currently, the body styles describe only shape or size when they should describe both.

There's a few obvious exceptions to this size and shape thing. Limos are limos and super cars are super cars but they should be the (very limited) exception.
Such a thing won't be implemented by us. It is however do able as individual classes of vehicles if you wanted to mod it in.

If we were to describe each size and body shape, you would have over 100 vehicle types to choose from. Not something I would want to do. We are currently using all body styles listed in the common car classification system. (I believe I got the list from AAA, but I can't remember where I sourced it from.)
I think I can put this here, but there is one body type I think is missing from the game (haven't played till the final years though). It's the speedster. This is like a roadster, but without a windshield (or a very minimal one) and without a soft-/hard-top for when it rains. Two good examples are the Aston Martin CC100 and Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren Stirling Moss edition.