Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
re-tooling
Just like to suggest something about re-tooling of factories.
Ive worked in factories for a few years.
I have never known my company spend 2 to 4 million every year on re-tooling , never
mind 30 odd.
just suggesting looking at decreasing the ammount of re-tooling to make it more
realustic.
worked in one for ten years and was never re-tooled.
actually even now after 17 years it's still the same, !
On the surface I agree with you that retooling feels way to expensive, even more so for branches than factories. I think it is the way it is mostly from a game balance perspective though. I doubt Eric will be willing to reduce it untiill he he gets more $ sinks iinto the game.

I'm curious what your factory makes? I ask becasue I'm a sales manager for a plywood factory (and I worked on the floor at the same factory for a few years about a decade ago) and I would agree that we spend next to nothing on re-tooling. General maintinance, yes, but re-tooling no. I have to wonder if retooling is allso supposed to incorperate maintinance as well?

My understandng of the automotive industry though is that re-tooling is a fairly significannt cost of running a factory.
I imagine it would be different for every industry. Eric has automotive industry experience so mmaybe he can shhed some lighht on it for us?

P.S. Sorry for alll the extra letters and the odd missing space. I'm using a new keybouard Ibought for my tabllet annd it's a bit touchy.......
I was line mananger for a motorbike assembly line ,
and computer components.
I agree that maintenance is a constant expenditure.
Re-tooling on the computer components was quite often , but not the expenditure in
gearcity.
The motorbike factory was not re-tooled while I worked there. Even though we had certain
Component changes.
If maintenance is incorporated into re-tooling in the game then the cost makes more sense.
However I still dont agree with the cost ammount in gearcity.
I thought I replied to this, but I guess I didn't? Sorry.

Retooling in the game is primarily a money sink. The costs do include maintenance thus the "wear amount" values. Eventually I will probably move the maintenance costs to the base costs, and rename "Retool" all together. Maybe to something like "Training." We'll see.

In the meantime it serves its purpose in slowing down growth. Although slightly unrealistic in its approach.

(Original post was longer, frankly not in the mood to retype it all! )
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
I apologise.
As i said , if it includes maintenence the cost makes sense. Also if it includes training
then the cost is appropriate. Training costs are immense.
Whatchya apologizing for? I forgot to hit reply or something when I typed that out yesterday! Nothing you did. Tongue
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
Just yhat you've done such a great job on such a great game.
must be getting to you having people picking tiny points to go on about ,
when in fact geracity is an amazing game.
I should have realised training and maintenance were incorporated into re-tooling.
(07-07-2014, 01:09 AM)shadow Wrote: Just yhat you've done such a great job on such a great game.
must be getting to you having people picking tiny points to go on about,
when in fact geracity is an amazing game.

I know how it is sometimes, Shadow. The more I like a game, the more I tend to enthuse over the possibility to give feedback and nagging about small details. The amount of nagging tends to increase by a weird function of how good the game allready is and the future potential.
Just the game is great!
best game I've bought in ages!
I honestly don't mind the little nit pick things. Without such feedback they would probably not be fixed as I get developer blinders on when I play the game.