Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Few more odd things
Here are a couple more things that seem odd to me.

A: On the mega controller thing if you add a car to the branch in the town the factory is in, it defaults to shipping priority and pitch priority . So when you go to the branch and look at the distribution it lists those words. But if I go to the branch itself and set the distribution it defaults to normal.

I had a game where I changed my factories to make only 1 car style per factory. And for some reason the branch that had the words shipping priority instead of normal would not take the new cars until I reset the distribution so it said normal.

B: no mouse over icons on the desktop.

C: when I load a game there is no indication to what settings I had when I started the game.

D: No indication to where my HQ is located well if there is it is not obvious to me. It only matters because of what you mention about war contracts.

E: the modify button on the research screen, the first item you select does not show the cost to modify and it seems to modify it when you click the button because it bankrupted me last game. I was thinking something would pop up but it never did and I spent a bunch.

(this is same as last time just much shorter, not really even suggestions just things that seemed odd)
Just to clear up E,

Go to research screen
Click modify
then what ever you select next, Chassis,Engine,ect.. (that is what I mean by what you click first)

it will highlight one of your items in that list and not display the costs. You can click the modify button sometimes you need to click twice and the screen closes hit end turn and the money will come out.
No worries, I got that one.

I may need a little more clarification on B and C however.

Sorry for the late reply. I needed to take a little time off the computer.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
Extra info for B:

I see that is not worded to good, the company desk it has the phone and stuff on it. When I hold the mouse over it there is no tooltip pop up. Sometimes in other programs when you hold the mouse over something a small window comes up and displays what will happen when you click on it. Its not that big of a deal just a comment.

Extra info for C:

Info like starting year, difficulty, number of AI stuff like that. I started a bunch of games will all different settings but I forget what they were later. And when I load a game I don't see any indication as to what I had selected when I started.

I have a new one too.

F: manufacturing requirements and design requirements.

The star colors seem counter-intuitive to my understanding of the meaning of the slider. If I slide the slider for manufacturing to basic the manufacturing requirements star moves towards red. But wouldn't basic be easier to make so it would be green? It seems like the more green the manufacturing stars are the harder it is to make. Or am I just reading that all wrong.

And to expand on D for bit.

It could be as simple as on the bottom of the screen where it lists the company name, just add something like the city name down there. Or on the map a different color dot where the HQ is. Or it might not matter at all

(06-06-2014, 06:17 PM)Eric.B Wrote: Sorry for the late reply. I needed to take a little time off the computer.

I forgot to add that I am quite impressed with the amount of interaction you have on the forums.
B) This has been a common request. I've never been a fan of popups. That being said, I may work it in, but it won't be a high priority, and it will certainly be toggle-able.

C) I might be able to make a load summary that will pop up after you load a game. Again won't be a high priority.

D) Yea I was thinking of changing the dot color as well. That being said, the HQ can be found in the Stock Information for you company.

F) You're correct, I should probably fix that, since higher is worse! Smile

Quote:I forgot to add that I am quite impressed with the amount of interaction you have on the forums.

This is actually less interaction than normal for me. Next 2 months will be pretty hectic with RL, then I should be able to get back into my groove.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
Sorry to bother you again,but for F is quality and manufacturing reqs only internal to my company or are they also external and impact the customer? I was wonder because when I was adjusting something to make it easier to research and build the overall rating went down too. So that was why I wondered.
(06-06-2014, 08:32 PM)Eric.B Wrote: B) This has been a common request. I've never been a fan of popups. That being said, I may work it in, but it won't be a high priority, and it will certainly be toggle-able.

C) I might be able to make a load summary that will pop up after you load a game. Again won't be a high priority.

D) Yea I was thinking of changing the dot color as well. That being said, the HQ can be found in the Stock Information for you company.

F) You're correct, I should probably fix that, since higher is worse! Smile

Quote:I forgot to add that I am quite impressed with the amount of interaction you have on the forums.

This is actually less interaction than normal for me. Next 2 months will be pretty hectic with RL, then I should be able to get back into my groove.

I actually think "B" is important for new people to the game and is a generally accepted good practice. When I first started the game, it was not clear to me what each desk option did. Having tooltips would have greatly helped me learn the options quicker. Although some tooltips are implemented with temporary popup displays as you stated however, another technique is to display the text in the bottom status bar of the window instead. This way the help text still displays but not in popup form.

Just an idea....anything that can be added to the user interface to help the user not have to refer to a manual or trial/error is always a good thing in my opinion.