Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Missing Financial Reports and Analysis
My suggestion would be to include more visibility (breakdown) of the financial results of the Company.

For Managers, it is very important to track and understand the Variable Costs, Fixed Costs, Distribution Costs, Marketing Expenses and General Overhead Expenses. This way the player should be able to understand better the operating profit and make decisions accordingly.

I would suggest having a section with financial information including all these (a good example is Capitalism 2 or Capitalism Lab).

If a financial model is included, I would suggest multiple currencies, and other macroeconomic variables, such as interest rates, inflation and GDP growth.

There is a Business Simulation Game used by Universities in their MBA degrees called Business Strategy Game (http://bsi.bsg-online.com/) which has all these in place.
(06-01-2014, 03:43 AM)supercool711 Wrote: My suggestion would be to include more visibility (breakdown) of the financial results of the Company.

For Managers, it is very important to track and understand the Variable Costs, Fixed Costs, Distribution Costs, Marketing Expenses and General Overhead Expenses. This way the player should be able to understand better the operating profit and make decisions accordingly.

I would suggest having a section with financial information including all these (a good example is Capitalism 2 or Capitalism Lab).

If a financial model is included, I would suggest multiple currencies, and other macroeconomic variables, such as interest rates, inflation and GDP growth.

There is a Business Simulation Game used by Universities in their MBA degrees called Business Strategy Game (http://bsi.bsg-online.com/) which has all these in place.
Just to check, are you aware of the expenses breakdowns in the sales book at the moment?
Also, are you aware of the additional expenses breakdowns in the custom reports?

I was expecting you to say these were insufficient, but i dont think you even mentioned them, which leads me to believe you are unaware of them.

I frequently use (and have done for some time) the cost per unit expenses as a way to manage my buisness in the game.
Yes, check out the reports section. There are lots of break downs there.

If there is anything missing that you think we should add, please do tell me!
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
Thank you Eirc and Arakash. You're right I hadn't check the reports area before. I already played a couple of hours with the reports and they're very good.

If possible, it would be good to have a Balance Sheet report too.
If I'm not mistaken the Quarterly and Annual Reports are balance sheet? Do these not give enough detail? And if not, what would you like me to add?
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
(06-01-2014, 10:45 PM)Eric.B Wrote: If I'm not mistaken the Quarterly and Annual Reports are balance sheet? Do these not give enough detail? And if not, what would you like me to add?

Hey,
I just bought the game and I am very very impressed.

I think to make it perfect the reports should reflect how it is done in real life similar to.

http://asimplemodel.com/model/1/introduc...tatements/

I think that is what supercool was trying to suggest.
(02-09-2015, 08:13 PM)bladeau Wrote:
(06-01-2014, 10:45 PM)Eric.B Wrote: If I'm not mistaken the Quarterly and Annual Reports are balance sheet? Do these not give enough detail? And if not, what would you like me to add?

Hey,
I just bought the game and I am very very impressed.

I think to make it perfect the reports should reflect how it is done in real life similar to.

http://asimplemodel.com/model/1/introduc...tatements/

I think that is what supercool was trying to suggest.

The current quarterly statements are what publicly traded companies produce. (In fact, I copied the format from Wendys' )

In the future I'm considering moving reports into something web based. This will allow me more flexibility in generating the reports without constraints. We'll have an integrated browser to view the reports from inside the game. It makes things like Balance Sheets and Cash Flow Charts as you pointed out much easier to do.

Don't expect that anytime soon however. I've got a lot to do between then and now. Smile
yeh that's a good example for sure, or it's laid out pretty clearly in this course here too: http://courses.corporatefinanceinstitute...ree-course