Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[FIXED]Fuel Economy Testing leads to worse Fuel Milage?
Just found some weirdness I'm not sure is a bug or just me misunderstadning something completely.

Here you can see the ratings says 95 km/l for city driving and 116 km/l for highway driving. The Fuel Economy Testing slider is set at 0, disregarded.
[Image: 297A697A4312E28BE5B6FD615BF9340B8EFDC856]

The fun part is the next image where I've set the Fuel Economy Testing slider to 100, focused. The ratings now say 81 km/l for city driving and 99 km/l for highway driving.
[Image: CCA39F01F4FAF444F954CCBDBF9B19CD9B49A565]

I'm quite open for the possibility that I'm just blind or otherwise likely to misunderstand how things work, but this surely looks like it should have had the opposite effect Tongue

This build was with a gearbox and engine both designed for maximum fuel efficiency.

Has anyone of you experienced the same problem? Is there something I've just overlooked that explains this behaviour?
Looks like a little bug that I over looked when reworking the fuel economy. When I get to programming again tonight, I'll fix it. Smile
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
Good to know Smile

You're great. Keep up the good work! The ability to tweak every little thing and see if it some metric changes is just fantastic. And that you can choose between advanced and assisted design systems is just pure gold. Despite this being a beta with bugs and quirks I'm thus far loving this game to bits.
Glad you enjoy it.

Fixed this bug, and its' effect on weight.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
I see that the Performance Testing slider affects the weight and fuel mileage in the same way the Fuel Economy Testing slider does, however I can neither see any changes to performance stats like rpm/torque/top speed, nor see that it affects the stars in the lower right corner of the screen. I'm just posting this here, since I would guess it's related. Smile
Yea, I've fixed that as well already. Problem was a little bad math on my part. It'll be added to the Tuesday night patch.
Has this been patched to the Steam version yet? I'm still seeing some weird behaviour when all other slides are very low. (If it went out on Tuesday that is.)
It went out this morning, about 4 hours before your post.

What other issues are you having?
It's very similar to what you see in the pictures. When I try to make a ridiculously cheap car and most, or all, of the sliders are at 0, then adjusting fuel testing will increase weight and hence worsen the fuel rating. I managed to recreate it with different chassis/engine/gearbox/bodytypes. As long as most/all sliders where at 0, fuel testing would increase weight and reduce fuel rating.

I'm aware this might well be a scenario that isn't the most likely to happen in general and might not be the highest priority to fix (since the slider seems to work fine when you have balanced your other sliders like a normal person would), but I wanted to notify you anyway, so that you at least know that the behaviour is unexpected in certain bordercases.
I'm sorry to open up an old thread, but I still find that this bug exists in the current Steam-build.

What do I do, and why do I do it?

I have some models that cover up different types of car I wish to build. To try to grab even more of the market I try to build a dirt cheap car where everything is cheap as garbage, so that I can sell in places and for demographics not covered by my other cars. The only thing this car is good at, is fuel economy. So all sliders are down to 0, except the fuel related ones.

What do I find?

I find that increasing the Fuel Economy Testing slider will increase Project Design Cost (as one expects, and it should), but it also increases the weight and decreases the fuel mileage.

I tested this with 2 different cars in 1900. One made with extremely poor and cheap parts (all sliders to 0 in all components) and another car made with average quality components costing a lot more. Both cars got the same effect in the car design phase, when all slider were set to 0, and then the Fuel Economy Testing slider was adjusted.