Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Regional limitations
Something that I don't think has come up before and kind of only became relevant with the post 1945 times...some locations should to some extent be limited as to the possibility of selling cars there (mainly the Eastern Bloc). Berlin gets a nice GDR icon (which leads me to believe that this is in fact supposed to be East Berlin!), but has the same per capita as the other German cities and therefore lots of cars are sold there...doesn't seem right. I see two options here, a hard one and a simple one:

1. The hard one: only allow manufacturers with their headquarters in the Warsaw Pact states to sell vehicles in those areas. Of course this creates a number of other issues...but would probably be the most realistic (at least as far as can be implemented within the scope of this game).

2. The simple one: Lower the per capita of Berlin + all the other WP states...or limit sales there in a different way. Of course a few cars would still be sold, but that's also kind of realistic (high ranking communist party members importing cars, etc.).

In any case, a Western country should not be able to sell high volumes of vehicles in the Eastern Bloc during the Cold War.
Originally I planned to work in political stuff into the game. But After doing just 1 City data list, I saw that it was waaay to much work.

1) Was the original intention. As well preventing the west from selling in the east.

2) If I'm not mistaken, the per capitas are correct. I will have double check, and I will when I get some free time. (Being slammed on Steam right now.)

What if I set WP nations as low conflict? This would cut sales and manufacturing in half.

I will need to consult mrx_ua, he's ex-bloc.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
(05-30-2014, 11:16 PM)Eric.B Wrote: What if I set WP nations as low conflict? This would cut sales and manufacturing in half.

Yeah, that would help to simulate the conditions, I guess...though it might cause confusion to players who don't know why this was implemented, since it's not really an actual war or conflict these countries are fighting. The other per capitas (Moscow and the like) seem OK, it's just Berlin with the GDR flag that annoys me a bit Smile.
(05-31-2014, 08:50 AM)freeman2344 Wrote:
(05-30-2014, 11:16 PM)Eric.B Wrote: What if I set WP nations as low conflict? This would cut sales and manufacturing in half.

Yeah, that would help to simulate the conditions, I guess...though it might cause confusion to players who don't know why this was implemented, since it's not really an actual war or conflict these countries are fighting. The other per capitas (Moscow and the like) seem OK, it's just Berlin with the GDR flag that annoys me a bit Smile.

Perhaps the wording of "low conflict" could be changed to something a little broader? Change "conflict" to "disturbance" for both levels perhaps? That way it makes more sense for it to be used for non-war situations that effect sales/production.
I expect it (may) represent the relationship between WP counties and non-WP countries, but what i would wonder is whether low conflict would accurately represent the behavior between two WP nations.
They can operate normally within their own spheres right? just not outside it

Frank also makes a good point that unless it has a different label, it would be rather confusing to see it as a conflict on the map.

Edit: Added this to the suggestion link thread
(05-31-2014, 08:50 AM)freeman2344 Wrote: The other per capitas (Moscow and the like) seem OK, it's just Berlin with the GDR flag that annoys me a bit Smile.

If my memory of history is correct, and I don't feel like looking it up at this second. Most of Berlin was under GDR control. Including most manufacturing centers. I can think of at least 2 or 3 car companies in GDR, and no western car companies based in Berlin.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
(06-01-2014, 07:16 AM)Eric.B Wrote:
(05-31-2014, 08:50 AM)freeman2344 Wrote: The other per capitas (Moscow and the like) seem OK, it's just Berlin with the GDR flag that annoys me a bit Smile.

If my memory of history is correct, and I don't feel like looking it up at this second. Most of Berlin was under GDR control. Including most manufacturing centers. I can think of at least 2 or 3 car companies in GDR, and no western car companies based in Berlin.

You misunderstood me. I agree that the flag should stay - but that the per capita should be adjusted. The citizens of East Berlin were not buying Porsches Wink.
I did a little more research, I don't have the game in front of me for the next 12 hours, so if you could check these numbers for me it will help.

The per capitas should be about the same in 1950, however by 1980, the west should have twice as high per capita than the east.

I'm almost sure I used a reference for the GDR capita numbers. I'm on the wrong computer to check however.
(06-01-2014, 08:42 AM)Eric.B Wrote: I did a little more research, I don't have the game in front of me for the next 12 hours, so if you could check these numbers for me it will help.

The per capitas should be about the same in 1950, however by 1980, the west should have twice as high per capita than the east.

I'm almost sure I used a reference for the GDR capita numbers. I'm on the wrong computer to check however.

Yeah, the 1950 numbers seem OK, though maybe still a bit on the high side as Germany was just recovering from WW2 and the "Wirtschaftswunder" was just getting started and had not really translated to any real increase in income for most households. That's just my subjective feeling though. In any case, the 1980 values for Berlin should be changed.
I have adjusted GDR, per-capita... You are correct it was off by about 4000. My sources were very biased! biggrin