Poll: What Unit of measurement should be used for Vehicles in the R&D screen/showroom
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
m
0%
0 0%
cm
66.67%
2 66.67%
mm
33.33%
1 33.33%
Total 3 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unit of measurement in Vehicle designe/Showroom
Im not sure why mm was chosen to be the unit of measurement for vehicles in the R&D and Vehicle Showroom.
I just linked a SC for another thread, incase you dont remember what im talking about here.

I can understand this being used for smaller objects, like engines, but it seems like a strange unit to use for an entire vehicle.
Usually the measurement in in at least the thousands, so usually in my mind i have to convert it to CM or M to make any sense of it.

If there was importance in having an exact mm measurement, to one decimal place, then i could see the reason behind it, but i dont see that here.
Im also wonder whether perhaps there is some precedent for having the vehicle sizes in mm in the vehicle/motor industry, but again, i dont really see the benefit here.

Ill make a poll, see if people agree/disagree with me.
Pretty much every set of vehicle stats I have ever seen anywhere has been in mm or occasionally inches (or both)

Personally, I'm pretty good with numbers and I've never really had an issue with looking at a measurement listed in m/cm/mm and quickly comparing it to a number listed in one of the other units so this isn't something I've ever really thought about.

I have voted for mm because I like to have as much accuracy as possible provided it isn't completely impractical.
(03-01-2014, 06:02 AM)Frankschtaldt Wrote: Pretty much every set of vehicle stats I have ever seen anywhere has been in mm or occasionally inches (or both)

Personally, I'm pretty good with numbers and I've never really had an issue with looking at a measurement listed in m/cm/mm and quickly comparing it to a number listed in one of the other units so this isn't something I've ever really thought about.

I have voted for mm because I like to have as much accuracy as possible provided it isn't completely impractical.
I can understand where your coming from with not having trouble converting it, the conversion isnt high level mathematics, so i imagine its more of an inconvenience rather than a challenge.

I agree on accuracy, but i dont see any reason to be that accurate in this case, beyond the familiarity some people feel with it.
For example using accuracy as a justification, we could go to the extreme and have it measured in micrometers, but that level of accuracy is really not important/relevant.
mm is used for technical drawings, for machinery. It's a common standard. (Worldwide as far as I know).

when you come up into sizes of planes/ships, I can't say I'm sure, but during my training as a technical drawer, nothing but mm was ever being mentioned.