Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Cargo Space
Cargo space, to the layperson is apparently confusing. As (once more!) discussed in chat between Arakash and I, with you of course chiming in, Eric, it seems that there needs to be some clarification as to what constitutes Cargo Space.

We've finally figured out that cargo is the term for any interior space essentially - however, for the layperson as we noted, cargo is goods, things, stuff that isn't people, and thus the sort of thing you'd put in your trunk. I get that the industry refers to Cargo as anything that goes into the vehicle that is being transported...but I do think that a rename for some of us wouldn't be a bad idea.

Some ideas for names (for the slider at least):

Interior Space - Troublesome for trucks, yes, but a little more obvious, in a way for everything else

Utility Space - Sounds a little like cargo, in that it's more industrial, but it also could be (more easily) linked to space utilization (obviously) in the cabin, trunk, and other areas. It's a much more general term.

Usable Area - Like Interior/Utility, quite general and I rather like it, but it sounds so vague, almost as if it also includes things like the engine area, among other nooks and crannies as well.

Cargo/Interior Space - A combined term that is probably the best to be honest of them, but a little vague perhaps in a sense.

Alternatively, if the term Space sounds a little off when added to each of them, I'd suggest appending Volume to it, make it a touch more technical and easier to grasp that of course we aren't talking just floor space but also height.
(02-18-2014, 10:17 AM)Geredis Wrote: Cargo space, to the layperson is apparently confusing. As (once more!) discussed in chat between Arakash and I, with you of course chiming in, Eric, it seems that there needs to be some clarification as to what constitutes Cargo Space.

We've finally figured out that cargo is the term for any interior space essentially - however, for the layperson as we noted, cargo is goods, things, stuff that isn't people, and thus the sort of thing you'd put in your trunk. I get that the industry refers to Cargo as anything that goes into the vehicle that is being transported...but I do think that a rename for some of us wouldn't be a bad idea.

Some ideas for names (for the slider at least):

Interior Space - Troublesome for trucks, yes, but a little more obvious, in a way for everything else

Utility Space - Sounds a little like cargo, in that it's more industrial, but it also could be (more easily) linked to space utilization (obviously) in the cabin, trunk, and other areas. It's a much more general term.

Usable Area - Like Interior/Utility, quite general and I rather like it, but it sounds so vague, almost as if it also includes things like the engine area, among other nooks and crannies as well.

Cargo/Interior Space - A combined term that is probably the best to be honest of them, but a little vague perhaps in a sense.

Alternatively, if the term Space sounds a little off when added to each of them, I'd suggest appending Volume to it, make it a touch more technical and easier to grasp that of course we aren't talking just floor space but also height.
I haven't got any more suggestions for names, but i can comment on the ones here.
Cargo/Interior Space or
Cargo/Interior Volume
sounds the best to me.

Utility brings up the idea of freight/trucks to me.
I would use both Cargo and interior for these reasons:
Interior really doesn't cover the fact that the rating is also to do with cargo space.
Cargo doesn't cover the fact that the rating also shows the amount of space in the inter or of the car.
Interior Space sounds best to me.
How it's distributed and what it's for is secondary, since you can't modify how much is for passengers and how much is for cargo.

I thought it was defined between passengers and cargo already, but never looked into it biggrin
(02-18-2014, 10:39 AM)Sarchez Wrote: Interior Space sounds best to me.
How it's distributed and what it's for is secondary, since you can't modify how much is for passengers and how much is for cargo.

I thought it was defined between passengers and cargo already, but never looked into it biggrin
I dont think there is any way to directly modify how much room there is for passengers, beyond making the vehicle large. Cargo however, can be directly adjusted through sliders in Vehicle Design.

I can share the original question/discussion that sparked the suggestion thread.
Myself and Geredis were pointing out that in our Luxury designs, we favored the Luxury Stat, but almost ignored, or didn't consider important, the Cargo stat.
We both assumed that Cargo was related to Truck/Boot space, or just space for crates, tools etc.

Eric let us know that Cargo space actually has an effect (2-5% i think) on Luxury.
Also, many things effect your cargospace, like the actual Physical size of your Chassis, and the size of the model in "Body Design".
This makes sense when you think about it. It encourages the player to make large, roomy/spacious, luxury vehicles.

So considering how broad the Cargo rating looks to be, it seems fair to actually broaden its label, to something other than just cargo, such as the suggestions in the first post.

I hope that explains it in depth.
So, for clarification....

Cargo space is all available room in the car that isn't taken by the driver or is the drivers room included?

I ask this because I've made vehicles with 1L of cargo space before and if that includes the driver I probably should try to repeat it and make a bug report =)

Quote:I haven't got any more suggestions for names, but i can comment on the ones here.
Cargo/Interior Space or
Cargo/Interior Volume
sounds the best to me.

I would suggest Volume rather than Space. People are used to the word space being part of the description for the boot so using a different word will help highlight that we are talking about something else.
the problem is you dont realy have a option for the amount of seats and interior space, ok that making a car bigger normally means more space but thats nor allways true, peugeot make the 208 smaller in outside size but whit more passagers and cargo space in the inside, they made a smarter use of the space, in the new 308 the reduzed the leg space in the back to have a better boot space, i know that this type of tings is hard and more tecnical, but i think be able to chose if you luxiry sedan is 4 or 5 seat is something that should be avaible...
thats the problem of using pre made models they dont give the needed freedom...
With the design phase, you're making a fixed amount of interior space (total).
Default for a sedan would be 4 passengers. (in my mind anyway) and xx amount of cargo space.
With an added slider, you could adjust if you wanted to reduce that to 2 passengers, and thereby increasing the amount of cargo space etc. (or maybe 5 or 6, and reduce the amount of cargo space).

That could remove the coupe 2+2, as you'd only need 1 coupe and could add the second row of seating, by decreasing the amount of cargo space.

It may be more accurate to do something like this, but is it actually bringing anything to the game ?
(02-18-2014, 05:32 PM)Sarchez Wrote: With the design phase, you're making a fixed amount of interior space (total).
Default for a sedan would be 4 passengers. (in my mind anyway) and xx amount of cargo space.
With an added slider, you could adjust if you wanted to reduce that to 2 passengers, and thereby increasing the amount of cargo space etc. (or maybe 5 or 6, and reduce the amount of cargo space).

That could remove the coupe 2+2, as you'd only need 1 coupe and could add the second row of seating, by decreasing the amount of cargo space.

It may be more accurate to do something like this, but is it actually bringing anything to the game ?
Specifically on the passenger thing, especially the slider you proposed, I think that really needs a separate suggestion thread and a separate discussion.
Your more likely to get a response from Eric on that specific issue that way as well.
Im not saying i disagree with you, infact i actually like the idea, il just save my comments on that for its own thread.

(02-18-2014, 02:46 PM)Frankschtaldt Wrote: I would suggest Volume rather than Space. People are used to the word space being part of the description for the boot so using a different word will help highlight that we are talking about something else.
I(and i think Geredis was too) was worried at the time it(Volume) might be an unnecessarily technical word to use there.
I do agree its probably the more accurate description that fits definitions closer.
To clarify, since we're hanging up on Volume, I am of two minds with the word.

I personally love it. I think it's the most accurate way, and definitely helps differentiate the notion of floor space (the 2 dimensional plane that is the vehicle's cabin and trunk) vs total usable space (that same plan, factoring in height in each area, of course).

That said, as I mentioned in the first post, I feel it needlessly complicated things, when the other slider choices are labelled far more simply.