Add some luxury features to vehicle designing
Today, I thought about what makes people buy a specific car. I
recognized that not only cost or power is important for buyers but also
those little "luxury things", that makes a good day in a car. I thought
about things like a radio, a navigation set, power steering, park
distance controll.

So I think that these things, that are commenly bought in by car
companies, should by implemented to the game. I thought about a menue
when designing a car with boxes (don't know the correct english name)
where these features are shown with their cost to implement. So you
could implement the features you like to the car. Of course, only at that time
available features could be added. The more features you would add, the
higher the car cost would be. But also the rating of the car and the
appeal to potential buyers would go up.

So I here is a list of features (with the year they were introduced to
cars) that are coming to my mind:

windshield wipers (1908)
Electric starter (1911/1913)
radio (1922)
Electric windshield wipers (1926)
Mechanical windows (1928)
ventilation/heater (1929)
Sunroof (only for certain types of vehicles) (Date:??)
air conditioning (1938)
electric windows (1941)
Power steering (1951)
Radio / cassette (1968)
Heated seats (1971)
electric seats (19??)
Automatic Climate controll (19??)
Radio / Navigation (1993)
PDC rear (1982)
PDC front (199?)
Xenon Lights (19??)
HUD (200?)
Reversing camera (20??)
LED Lights (20??)

I don't know how to price these items. But I think new features should
be some kind of expensive and should get much cheaper as time goes by.

Im not sure, if this is too difficult to play or too difficult to
implement for Eric. What is your opinion?
Interesting idea. Like the extensive discussion recently on things like options for drivetrains and engine valves, I think it may be a question of the level of abstraction you want in the game.
At the moment, i think your idea is basically abstracted through the interior technology/innovation sliders during vehicle design. (that's my interpretation at least)
Thats not an argument against having it no longer abstracted, but i think it does give some perspective and perhaps depth to the discussion.

I wonder if it is something that can be modded into the current game by players.
I think the components for example can be modded fairly easily, so i wonder if this could just be added in as another(or series of) tickbox in the vehicle design stage, limited like the others by data and skillreq.
That sounds like a good idea, and I think it might fit nicely into an expansion pack of some sorts.

GearCity Gold® (Eric, you can buy the name cheaply) :cool:

There's plenty more to add, if you wanted (you'd also have to choose between some of tem, like mechanical or electrical windows), but there's also the question if you really want to sit and add each one, every time you make a new model ?
I mean, they may only add/subtract a small part of the overall rating for the car - but can you imagine buying a car no mechanical or electric windows today ? 80 years ago, it might be a luxury item but today it's the norm. So defaults wouldn't be static either.

I think (like the options for drivetrains and engine valves), this should come as an expansion to the core game, so you can choose if you want your game with this added layer of complexity or not. Add in a secondary income stream (spareparts being sold to importers), and you're well on your way there.
I've answered this question before, ages ago: http://www.ventdev.com/forums/showthread...400#pid400

Sorry to burst your bubble, but NO. Tongue

(Unless enough of you guys demand it)

Also the expansion will probably be called: GearCity: Motor Mogul (to tie into AeroMogul) Wink
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
GearCity Gold® and AeroCity®
Sounds better. (you get a bundle-discount) Rolleyes

Anyway, I still think it's something to consider including in the expansion with "Grand Prix Manager 3" Wink
(02-12-2014, 12:32 PM)Eric.B Wrote: I've answered this question before, ages ago: http://www.ventdev.com/forums/showthread...400#pid400

Also the expansion will probably be called: GearCity: Motor Mogul (to tie into AeroMogul) Wink

Sorry, didn't see the old thread before. I can accept your decision. As Sarchez said, I am not sure if chosing those items would get boring during the play because if you have a look at my list the older items would obviously be a "must-have" and there would only be the option of chosing between two or three actual items. Not really funny when playing.
I demand it... Smile
(02-12-2014, 12:32 PM)Eric.B Wrote: I've answered this question before, ages ago: http://www.ventdev.com/forums/showthread...400#pid400

Im still interested in whether this sort of thing is possible to be modded in, as i was wondering in my first post.
If it is possible to mod it in, then i think that would be a good way for the people who want the feature to still get it.
I would love this as well. If done properly, I don't think it would cause unnecessary micro-management and it would really help to give your cars "character". Implementing something like this or at least the option to mod it in should IMO be a higher priority than a lot of other stuff suggested here.

I understand the reason you made it this way, but i believe there are to types of people that play this type of games, the hardcore car fans that like games and the people that like management games.
you can make the best of both worlds in a "easy" way make it possible to house between casual mode and hardcore mode, in casual mode you have it like now, in hardcore mode you chose every thing in the cars...

other ting is trying to make history repeat, its more accurate but i would like to think that if we wanted it has possible to make a car be better in early times, like having common rail diesel engines in the early 80's instead of end 90's...
But for this be possible you need to create a development facility to researcher the technologies needed to make the components, big discoverys like anti look breaks instead being exclusive to a brand, because its a market changer it will be given for free to all the brands 4 ou 5 years later.
And like happens now whit build parts like engines, we be able to charge royalties to other brands use advanced tec we had discovery first or pay if other company discovers first or have the change to create it for ourselves to avoid pay the royalties...

And in later in game make it possible to make join ventures whit other car brands in order to reduce developing costs...

This is just a few ideas how to make the game more complex for the people that really love cars.

in other things it can be possible to chose the engine be build in steel, iron or aluminum and other tings...