Poll: What metric units do you messure fuel consumption with?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
km/l
22.50%
9 22.50%
l/100km
67.50%
27 67.50%
SAE Only (I never use stinking metric system!!!)
10.00%
4 10.00%
Total 40 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Fuel Efficiency Units!
I've had a semi long debate with MrX_ua over metric units of measurements for fuel consumption. Currently the game uses KM/L which makes sense to me, however MrX_ua believe it should be L/100KM which he states is more common.

I've been around many Japanese vehicles in my life and I'm almost sure they use KM/L
Then again I'm getting old. Memory doesn't work as well anymore! biggrin

In any case both will probably make it into the game, however, I'm still curious as to what you use! So how about it? KM/L or L/100KM.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
I voted for L/100km, i think in most cases it looks better/cleaner and easier to discuss.
I have a preference for working/talking about whole numbers as i find them easier to discuss. Just doing some quick searching on fuel efficiencies, using the L/100km seems to insure that whole numbers are being used in most cases. (could be wrong there, it was just a quick search.
I don't see how L/100km is whole numbers? It looks like a fraction to me!

Km/l is always over 1, so it's more whole number looking to me! Wink
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
In Europe, fuel comsumption is only measured in l/100 km. I have never seen km/l ever in the metric system and I don't think that anybody ever used it.
(02-06-2014, 12:12 PM)Celeste Wrote: In Europe, fuel comsumption is only measured in l/100 km. I have never seen km/l ever in the metric system and I don't think that anybody ever used it.

That's the purpose of this thread, to find out who uses what. L/100km isn't universal: http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=1757958

I'm also sure in Asia they use km/l : http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthread....S%29-5-spd

We have a heavy European Bias on here, so I think L/100km might win out. Smile
But I'm sure I'm not the only one who uses km/l, (Well actually I use MPG, but if I had to use metric I'd use km/l)
I'm also voting litres/100 kilometres.

The only reason I can reasonably think you'd use km/L is because of issues with UI space, in which case I'd understand why you'd do it (it'd be 3 characters shorter for the label and 1-2 characters less in the dynamic field likely). Otherwise, if practicable, it's best I think to use what the standard convention is.
(02-06-2014, 11:59 AM)Eric.B Wrote: I don't see how L/100km is whole numbers? It looks like a fraction to me!

Km/l is always over 1, so it's more whole number looking to me! Wink
Your right, clearly i made weird mistake there.
I should really be more careful about reading and posting at 4am.
Even though i was wrong on the whole numbers, the L/100km is still a lot more familiar to me as i basically grew up with it in Australia. (depending on who you ask, youll get different things in imperial or metric though, so i wont claim its universal or anything like that)
Well, the primary target audience of this game will likely be either from Europe or North America, thus it makes sense to implement the two most common units for these two groups, which would be l/100km and MPG.

In fact, when I first played this, I didn't even realize km/l was used ANYHWERE in the real world and thought that you had made it up Wink
(02-06-2014, 12:39 PM)freeman2344 Wrote: Well, the primary target audience of this game will likely be either from Europe or North America, thus it makes sense to implement the two most common units for these two groups, which would be l/100km and MPG.

In fact, when I first played this, I didn't even realize km/l was used ANYHWERE in the real world and thought that you had made it up Wink

As I said previously, all three will probably be included, if not the winner of the poll will take the metric spot.
Well, to be fare, km/L does make a little bit of sense for the earliest cars who, let's face it, didn't always have even a 100km range on a full tank?

Maybe, if fuel tanks are ever added, or some way to set a vehicle's range, if the vehicle has at least 100km range, they use the 100km format, otherwise they use km/L, because that's probably the only way it can actually be measured.