Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
[FIXED]Engines layout
Combining valvetrain with layouts would be no problem.

Valves would be a little more work as I would have to add AI selection code and more balancing. (It's enough to break the game like it's broke now! )

Considering the fact most DOHC's engines are 4 valves, and a good number of SOHC are 2 valves, I think adding this extra layer of detail is a little much.

So valvetrain configuration will probably make its way into the game (combined with engine layout) but don't expect valve numbers or fuel delivery systems.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
(01-30-2014, 10:31 AM)Eric.B Wrote: Combining valvetrain with layouts would be no problem.

Valves would be a little more work as I would have to add AI selection code and more balancing. (It's enough to break the game like it's broke now! )

Considering the fact most DOHC's engines are 4 valves, and a good number of SOHC are 2 valves, I think adding this extra layer of detail is a little much.

So valvetrain configuration will probably make its way into the game (combined with engine layout) but don't expect valve numbers or fuel delivery systems.

That would be great! For me the valvetrain configuration is the most import of my three suggestions.
(01-30-2014, 10:31 AM)Eric.B Wrote: Considering the fact most DOHC's engines are 4 valves, and a good number of SOHC are 2 valves, I think adding this extra layer of detail is a little much.

I've just realized a problem with this approach. 2 stroke engine don't use any valve train at all. They just use holes cut into the sides of the cylinders to port gasses in and out. That means you would need to add 2 stroke to all the layouts as well as having it as it's own fuel type.

My alternative suggestion is to have valve train built into fuel type instead.
Giving you the following:
2 stroke gas
4 stroke gas - sleeve valve
4 stroke gas - side valve
4 stroke gas - ohv
4 stroke gas - ohc
4 stroke gas - dohc

That covers all of the major categories whilst actually reducing the number of different new entries you need to make in the XML files.
(01-30-2014, 03:29 PM)Frankschtaldt Wrote: I've just realized a problem with this approach. 2 stroke engine don't use any valve train at all. They just use holes cut into the sides of the cylinders to port gasses in and out. That means you would need to add 2 stroke to all the layouts as well as having it as it's own fuel type.

That may be a better way to do it. I'll look deeper into it when I get to it.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
(01-30-2014, 03:29 PM)Frankschtaldt Wrote:
(01-30-2014, 10:31 AM)Eric.B Wrote: Considering the fact most DOHC's engines are 4 valves, and a good number of SOHC are 2 valves, I think adding this extra layer of detail is a little much.

I've just realized a problem with this approach. 2 stroke engine don't use any valve train at all. They just use holes cut into the sides of the cylinders to port gasses in and out. That means you would need to add 2 stroke to all the layouts as well as having it as it's own fuel type.

2 stroke gas
4 stroke gas - ohv
4 stroke gas - ohc
4 stroke gas - dohc

That covers all of the major categories whilst actually reducing the number of different new entries you need to make in the XML files.

Oh, I thought that that was clear. Only 4-stroke-engines have these kind of valvetrains. Also Wankel-engines or of course electric engines have no valves. And I forgot that also 4-stroke engines with no valves exist. Some quiet famous engines in the early twenties had the Knight system, an engine with sleeve valves (p.a. the first Daimler Double Six V12).

I would only allow a possibility to choose different valvetrains if you preselect a 4-stroke engine (like Frankschtaldt suggested). But the player should be able to see the valvetrain configuration in a list when choosing an engine when designing a vehicle.
(01-31-2014, 09:32 AM)Celeste Wrote:
(01-30-2014, 03:29 PM)Frankschtaldt Wrote:

2 stroke gas
4 stroke gas - ohv
4 stroke gas - ohc
4 stroke gas - dohc

Oh, I thought that that was clear. Only 4-stroke-engines have these kind of valvetrains. Also Wankel-engines or of course electric engines have no valves. And I forgot that also 4-stroke engines with no valves exist. Some quiet famous engines in the early twenties had the Knight system, an engine with sleeve valves (p.a. the first Daimler Double Six V12).

I would only allow a possibility to choose different valvetrains if you preselect a 4-stroke engine (like Frankschtaldt suggested). But the player should be able to see the valvetrain configuration in a list when choosing an engine when designing a vehicle.

Note that I have the sleeve valve listed in my list of 4 stroke options =)

I've began working on a mod (see the mod section for more info) and one of the first things I did was to create these different valve trains.
Alright, I have went ahead and added valve trains configurations to the game, however I did not add the number of valves. It will be included in 1.18 patch. Smile