Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top speed help
Hi,

I've read in this thread (http://www.ventdev.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=1095) that top speed codes may be broken since 1.11...

Is anyone able to confirm that any of your cars go past 30kmh at max? That is, even using big engines?

I've been trying many times to create powerful cars ('cause I wondered if my bad top speed wasn't related to real pbs as too much weight, etc) but even with a 110 HP engine, and a 800kg car, back in 1910 or something, well, it did work...

So, I could get it for small engines first cars that top speed could not be higher! But now that I am designing cars in the twenties, well, I still get no more than 24-28 kmh... In the previous release (that is 1.10) I created cars that had normal specs, but since 1.11, and even 1.11.1 hotfix, I can't...

Anyone with the same problem? Or anyone who could have any tip? Or Eric, to confirm it is actually broken Wink ?
"I build the cars I like. If people wished to buy them, well, that could possibly be arranged." E. BUGATTI
(01-17-2014, 06:16 AM)Laurent Tommy Flanagann Wrote: Hi,

I've read in this thread (http://www.ventdev.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=1095) that top speed codes may be broken since 1.11...

Is anyone able to confirm that any of your cars go past 30kmh at max? That is, even using big engines?

I've been trying many times to create powerful cars ('cause I wondered if my bad top speed wasn't related to real pbs as too much weight, etc) but even with a 110 HP engine, and a 800kg car, back in 1910 or something, well, it did work...

So, I could get it for small engines first cars that top speed could not be higher! But now that I am designing cars in the twenties, well, I still get no more than 24-28 kmh... In the previous release (that is 1.10) I created cars that had normal specs, but since 1.11, and even 1.11.1 hotfix, I can't...

Anyone with the same problem? Or anyone who could have any tip? Or Eric, to confirm it is actually broken Wink ?

That is very interesting.
I had noticed that vehicle speeds were much lower in this release, but i assumed that some kind of bug was fixed and vehicles were supposed to be slow at this period in time. (i know little about automotive history)

I did some checking/testing
I just checked Gearcity and i noticed that the vehicles im making in 1900 in my 1.11 save seem to be a good 400kg heavier than the ones in my 1.10 save.
It seems consistent across several vehicle types.

This could be a possible explanation for why vehicles are so slow, they are very heavy. It may be a bug, im unsure.
Have you noticed anything similar?

So i looked at the Model T, just as a reference point for vehicles at this time. (From Wikipedia)
It started production in 1908 (probably designed a bit earlier)
The model T has a 4C 2.9L engine, at ~20HP
Its weight was around 540kg
Its top speed is listed as 40–45 mph (64–72 km/h)
Good find Arakash, that saved me some debugging work.
As I recall I balanced out the numbers between different types of components, weights probably increased due to this. Weight effects top speeds of course, so that extra fat has probably slowed us down. I just need to lower the baselines for weight back toward realistic numbers then we'll be speedy again. Smile

So yes, it is broken, you probably won't win too many races with cars in 1.11 biggrin
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
(01-17-2014, 09:06 AM)Eric.B Wrote: Good find Arakash, that saved me some debugging work.
As I recall I balanced out the numbers between different types of components, weights probably increased due to this. Weight effects top speeds of course, so that extra fat has probably slowed us down. I just need to lower the baselines for weight back toward realistic numbers then we'll be speedy again. Smile

So yes, it is broken, you probably won't win too many races with cars in 1.11 biggrin

Ok for races. I also get the point on how it is broken and affecting weight, but still...

As it affects weight, a 15 HP car should not go the same top speed than a 110 HP one right?

I mean, if the weight codes only were broken, there should be some kind of increasing top speed by drastically increasing max horsepower.

As a matter of facts, even a 1100 kg car with 110 hp, nowadays, goes (Hopefully biggrin) faster than 27 kmh!

That being said, again with my Bugatti examples, it shows that even more weighted cars were able to go faster, back in the days.

So, I assume there might be something else broken somewhere...
"I build the cars I like. If people wished to buy them, well, that could possibly be arranged." E. BUGATTI
Sure, but that's a starting point.
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
I managed to get a 150hp, 1400kg car with a 5 gear top speed focused gearbox to do 37km/h.

So, it's definitely possible to break the 30km/h barrier. However, there's definitely something wrong with the speed equations.

Hoping this gets fixed in 1.12. I really want to have a go at making a performance focused company =)
(02-03-2014, 11:09 PM)Frankschtaldt Wrote: I managed to get a 150hp, 1400kg car with a 5 gear top speed focused gearbox to do 37km/h.

So, it's definitely possible to break the 30km/h barrier. However, there's definitely something wrong with the speed equations.

Hoping this gets fixed in 1.12. I really want to have a go at making a performance focused company =)
Im also looking forward to seeing the bugs with vehicle design ironed out as well.

I tried making heavy and light vehicles, from 600-2000kg, all with HP under 100, but didnt see anything over 40km/h.

Strange thing is, i remember hearing complaints from some people that vehicles were too fast in the previous version. I think weve gone to the other extreme now.
It's interesting that the npc companies don't seem to have the same issues. I've seen them have cars capable of well over 80km/h long before 1910.
(02-03-2014, 11:29 PM)Frankschtaldt Wrote: It's interesting that the npc companies don't seem to have the same issues. I've seen them have cars capable of well over 80km/h long before 1910.
Well the Ai are plagued by their own set of bugs when they are designing(several have been reported already afiak), so i dont envy them lol.
Like a drunken game of darts. If I keep throwing I'll eventually hit a bullseye!

I'm going through the list of specs. I'm halfway done with engines, vehicles are last.