Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
GearCity 1.12 Progress
With the positive feedback from the 1.11 progress thread, I went ahead and made this one.

1.12 Is going to have a quicker release cycle than 1.11. It should focus on two of the biggest complaints of the game from people who haven't played this sort of game before. 1) Not knowing what to do, 2) Lack of "feedback" on what design sliders do.

So to fix this I plan on integrating a manual in the game.
Interactive/Audio Tutorial System. (Voice acted by me, ugh! Until Fruluna can grace us with her voice.)

A new advice/feedback window when designing components.
And a new quick design feature, in case you don't want to mess around with the sliders.

This stuff and of course some bug fixes and suggestions will be worked in when I can.

Fill free to post in here, I will probably start working on it Monday (1/13).

1.12 Change Log
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Changes to Stock Price Evaluations
  • Rewrote AI price increase and decrease code.
  • Reduced AI branch expansion
  • Reduced AI marque builds
  • Fixed Null Car Distribution from AI
  • Adjusted IPO offering income.
  • IPO's Failed Check
  • Stand Alone Designer crashes load game.
  • Negative chassis weight bug
  • Painting Saved Car crashes game.
  • Clone Distro improper branchIDs bug
  • AI branch wear Bug
  • Player Sales drop due to AI branch wear bug
  • Adjusted AI branch expansion rate.
  • Negative top speed when loading a vehicle
  • Fixed floor clipping when loaded vehicle
  • Fixed crash in car designer with unselected models
  • Fixed wrong text in stop sales quick menu
  • Fixed bug in world map showing sales from 2 months rather than last month.
  • Peru growth rate bug
  • Save game overwrite bug
  • Fixed another issue with unbranded AI vehicles
  • Adjusted stock takeover vote results making it a little harder to takeover.
  • Fixed scientific notation bug for marketing again... Shoot me with Sarchez's tennis ball cannon if it comes back.
  • Assisted Design System
  • Overall Ratings Bug
  • Adjusted AI component selection
  • Fixed AI component selection bug causing it to pick the worst option in some cases.
  • Bore And Stroke adjustments
  • Engine Length and Width adjustments
  • Minor Torque adjustments
  • RPM code rewritten to allow for faster RPM growth until a certain date then it slows down.
  • Fuel Mileage code for engines rewritten
  • Fixed Top Speed Bug
  • Fixed Fuel Mileage calculation bug
  • Tweaked Various Vehicle Specification numbers
  • Fixed incorrect showroom specifications
  • Fixed Mega Menu display bug
  • Changed Broad Base marketing to Brand Marketing
  • Fixed Chassis Design bug on Hard Mode
  • Fixed bug in contracts income
  • Fixed bug with contracting sales numbers
  • Fixed bug in the contracting reports and charts
  • Fixed City Name bug during random event
  • Fixed newspaper crash when merging occurs. Will replace with art eventually...
  • Fixed Switzerland Wage bug
  • Fixed Engine Skill Bug allowing any engine design
  • Fixed Electric engine description
  • Help GUI
  • Video Tutorial System
  • Added 20 Beta-Basic Tutorials
  • Fixed Shipping Priority Check Bugs.
  • Minor Adjustment to Sales Priority Values
  • Fixed retool all branches bug,
  • Fixed retool all factories bug,
  • Fixed retool branches/factories incorrect values.
  • Fixed bug in random events that charge you for AI expenses.
  • Fixed $0 Component Bug
  • Adjusted Degrade values
  • Degrade only effects components younger than a certain year.
  • Included Minimum Component value.
  • Fixed Bankruptcy Flags reset.
  • Removal of vehicles from sale will remove marketing
  • Fixed scroll bar clipping in megamenu
  • Fixed component contracting price display
  • Fixed marketing staff auto tools bugs
  • Fixed loan assists and updated all companies assists
  • Fixed Loan Interest Rates and monthly payments
  • Possibly fixed broken marque component contracting bug.
  • Fixed Discontinued components window issues
  • Marketing Skills Report now is relative instead of absolute.
  • Fixed regional combobox bug
  • Fixed Latvia crash bug.
  • Adjusted radio and tv marketing amounts.
  • Fixed various GUI number issues.
  • New Gameover music.

"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
if you read this after I am dead it means I made it." ― Charles Bukowski
Since 1.12 is mainly focused on a tutorial system, I'll be spending more time writing than programming the next few days. As such I've started out on things that require some simulations. Which means AI stuff. While the game plays it self I write the manual.

So the first thing I hit was the stock price evaluations. I started with this because it seems like an easy way to "game" the game...

The old evaluation formula only took into account the construction cost of factories and branches. This has been changed to include number of production lines and a base line cost per branch and dealership!
That means you shouldn't be able to buy a company for a million bucks and get 3 factories. Tongue

Also profit margins used to play heavily in the old formula. It's been greatly reduced in this build.

Now for some realism. By 1924 Ford was the first company to hit $1 billion in market cap. As of right now, with the current eval formula we have 2 companies over $1 billion, 1 of which is over $2billion... Of course there is still a lot less competition in the game.

On the other end, I don't see a single company with a market cap under $10million. Wink

I'm now going to play with the AI pricing somewhat. And work on page 4 of the manual Sad
"great writers are indecent people, they live unfairly, saving the best part for paper.
good human beings save the world, so that bastards like me can keep creating art, become immortal.
Rewrote the AI price increase and decrease code. The AI will raise all prices of a vehicle by 2% across the board if it can not meet demands. It'll also attempt to build more if there is open factory lines. On the flip side reduction code has been worked on as well. With different options to reduce prices. In any case the AI is limited to a specific margin amount based on the actual company. So there are a few $10,000 cars, but it's mainly because the unit costs are $2500... Prices are more realistic now, I'll go back over them soon to double check.

I'm on page 5 of the manual. Writing about Office stuff now...

I've notice the AI making some NULL cars, so I'm going to take care of this issue, then fix the IPO amounts, following up by hitting bugs in the bug list... While working on the manual when I simulate.
IPO prices have been adjusted making it harder to cash in on the insane amounts of money you could get from an IPO in 1.10...

Sorry Laurent, no more 300million dollar IPOs for you! Tongue
(01-14-2014, 11:04 PM)Eric.B Wrote: IPO prices have been adjusted making it harder to cash in on the insane amounts of money you could get from an IPO in 1.10...

How much should we expect from IPO's in the next version then?
In the old version, from memory, it was 50-70% of the value listed. (i would often get 1.5-2.5mil from an IPO listed as 3mil)

Should we now expect something like 20%?
(01-14-2014, 11:57 PM)Arakash Wrote:
(01-14-2014, 11:04 PM)Eric.B Wrote: IPO prices have been adjusted making it harder to cash in on the insane amounts of money you could get from an IPO in 1.10...

How much should we expect from IPO's in the next version then?
In the old version, from memory, it was 50-70% of the value listed. (i would often get 1.5-2.5mil from an IPO listed as 3mil)

Should we now expect something like 20%?

25% cash on hand + factory value + (factoryLines * 10000^(1.005*year-1899) + few other minor things like inventory, research etc.

I probably should work image in there, but I can do that latter.
Does the valuation of an AI company, take into account any stocks they own in other companies ? (figured I'd put it here, as you're rewriting the code for 1.12)
Fixed a number of issues today, here is the list:

Bad Passenger Data when loading a saved car
Broke Car Stats in Magazine
Company Absorbs it self bug
Load Game Crash when full game has not been started.
Admin Cost Bug when having Lots of distro lines.

Also released a hotpatch, so update to 1.11.1: http://www.gearcity.info/download.php?f=...HotFix.exe
(01-15-2014, 11:53 AM)Sarchez Wrote: Does the valuation of an AI company, take into account any stocks they own in other companies ? (figured I'd put it here, as you're rewriting the code for 1.12)

No it does not, but I'll make a note of it, so that I can add it when I work in the image ratings. Smile
Today I took out a few more bugs. I'm going to keep working through the bug list until Sunday. Sunday and Monday I will focus completely on the manual. Hopefully I can get it done and integrated into the game by next week.

Here is a list of todays bugs:
IPO's don't trigger resulting in the player being able to IPO over and over again.
Stand Alone Designer crashes load game.
Negative chassis weight when global weights are low and sliders are on full.
Painting Saved Car crashes game.
Clone Distro does not copy proper branchIDs